Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmcandrew

Window Coverings for Sliding Doors (kid-friendly a must!)

msmcandrew
7 years ago

Looking for advice/recommendations for window coverings for sliding doors! We have 5 sliders in our home (master bedroom, office, kitchen, playroom & living room) & have been indecisive on window coverings since we had those & other windows replaced.

Here is the largest opening in our living room where we have temporarily rehung old vertical blinds but we are anxious to update!

We are looking for privacy & would love a light filtering option like vertical cellular shades but not sure if those are practical with small children (particularly in our playroom) or easy to keep clean. I'm worried about my small children messing with them like they do the existing vertical blinds and damaging expensive window treatments!

Vertical blinds seem the most practical and kid friendly but we would prefer an updated look if possible! Draperies seem bulky/heavy & we would like to be able to open up completely and don't have a ton of wall space to stack treatments when pulled open. Anyone have experience with the vertical honeycomb shades and how they hold up in homes with children? I would imagine that they would be pulled open during most of the day except when those rooms get direct sunlight.

A few more details: we have no drywall depth so whatever we do will need to be outside mounted. 3 sliders open to our pool deck and 2 to our screened porch so wondering if consistency is key. A couple of the rooms have other windows (no treatments yet) so wondering if those need to be similar (perhaps vertical cellular on sliders and horizontal cellular on Windows).

Anyone face this dilemma and have advice? (We ordered/installed cellular blackout shades in our nursery, but not certain that we want to DIY these large openings so suggestions for folks who have had them professionally installed vs DIYed would also be helpful!)

Thank you!!!!!

Comments (12)

• lefty47
    7 years ago

HI -- I am also trying to do the same thing and I only have one patio sliding door . After many years of using a vertical louvered blind I need to replace ... I think I might just have washable semi-sheer fabric panels on clip rings with an I beam rod . I have little ones here (grandchildren ) and will need to wash them often . I will also be hanging them from ceiling height and wider than the window .

• msmcandrew
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your ideas!!! Another thought that was suggested to me were roller shades.... Just wonder if those would be a tad big annoying if the door gets a lot of in and out use, but can be sleek and out of view when not in use.

• Pool Habit
    7 years ago
    We have curtains from west elm. It's fine. If you get the kind with the metal grommets they open more neatly.
  • Pool Habit
    7 years ago
    Wanted to add: we have matching curtains on the smaller windows in the same room and the Windows also have cellular shades.
  • PRO
    The Shade Store
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi msmcandrew,

We recommend Panel Track Blinds or our XL Vertical Shades for your sliding doors.

Panel Track Blinds are one of the easiest window treatments styles to operate, even if they are very large. They operate much like verticals or drapery, where the stack can open in either direction or open in the center. You can also choose a light filtering material to help block sunlight and give privacy.

Our XL Vertical Blinds are an updated version of the classic vertical. Each vane is 9 ¾” inches wide and functions much like the traditional vertical, where it can open in the center or stack left or right and tilt. This treatment is also available in light filtering materials!

Both of these products are hung and tested prior to leaving our workroom and meet the strictest child safety guidelines.

As far as consistency goes, we recommend sticking to the same treatment (or complementing one) if possible in the same room, however you can definitely use different products in different room! Our customers do it all the time.

Please reach out to us if you have any more questions. We'd love to help you with your project.

THE SHADE STORE

t: 800.754.1455

design@theshadestore.com

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

IMO drapes with grommets that are washable are the best answer and blinds are a pain on sliders

• PRO
    Decorator Depot LLC
    7 years ago

Roman shades would look great in this room.

• PRO
    L & L Window Fashions
    7 years ago

I would avoid fabrics unless you can be guaranteed they are completely washable.

If you want to be able to control the light and have a child-proof product, I would recommend Hunter Douglas Palm Beach shutters. They are polysatin (vinyl) and are washable. If they get scratched, the scratches can be buffed out. We recommended this option for home with pets and children.

We installed these shutters for a customer with dogs. The dogs can stand up on the shutters and see out the window without damaging the product.

• Belahn
    7 years ago

I've tried just about everything in existence on sliders and I still prefer vertical blinds. I like fabric ones because they are quiet and nothing works better on this kind of door for light filtering and privacy. But, you sound like you don't want those, so why not try solar screens that slide up and down or side to side. They don't create privacy at night with the lights on but they are great for light filtering in the day.

• smileythecat
    7 years ago

Well I am not sure any solution will be kid friendly, but I think verti glides from hunter douglas are best application on sliders, the panel track blinds are another good choice.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

no need to do all of the sliders the same.

i understand that clacky plastic vertical blinds are gone and good riddance, but the fabric ones arent quite so odious. don't have ANYTHING center opening if your door opens from the outside edge. vertical blinds or drapes should be one way draw.

i have 4 sets of fabric verticals in my vacation home. i love the sideways tilt for privacy from the neighbors back yard and better sun blocking. if you have them measured to go to the ceiling, as drapes are done now, instead of mounting on the casing, it will look much more updated.