Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyaine

Which railing is "Correct"? Needs work, where to start?

Comments (22)

• baileysr
    7 years ago
    I'm not an expert, but it looks to me like the spacing in the upper rail is a bit wide, like it might not pass inspection. Isn't the rule something like max space of less than 4 inches, so kids don't get their head stuck?
    Tracy Holland With Agnes Agatha thanked baileysr
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

I like the one on the second floor, but it may not meet code if that is an issue where you live. Here's the railing is you add additional rails.

Tracy Holland With Agnes Agatha thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    No railing can have an opening a 4" sphere (baby head) can pass through.

The plainer detailing on the first floor is likely what the house was born with.
    Tracy Holland With Agnes Agatha thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • dcxena
    7 years ago

Hmmm. Perhaps, but I suspect it varies significantly by state. It's quite interesting what a difference in building codes there are between a highly regulated, restrictive state like, say, California, and a more libertarian state like South Carolina. Different strokes for different folks...

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    I think the 4" rule is in the national building code and has been for awhile. Some jurisdictions are more lax about applying it.
    Tracy Holland With Agnes Agatha thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • dcxena
    7 years ago

Haha, you may be exactly correct about the "lax" part...kind of like how certain federal laws are enforced or not depending on where you live.

Tracy Holland With Agnes Agatha thanked dcxena
  • flopsycat1
    7 years ago

I prefer the ground level railing, looks more period appropriate. Now, for your second question, " needs work....," what exactly are you interesting in doing?

Tracy Holland With Agnes Agatha thanked flopsycat1
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago
    Tracy Holland With Agnes Agatha thanked User
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    A little trip to your local historical center with a picture of your house, could help you see what original designs were like when this house was built. Your local patterns are what I would look for then adopt to current codes as appropriate. It reminds me of shot gun houses in New Orleans.
    Tracy Holland With Agnes Agatha thanked Flo Mangan
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Use the railings to add to the charm of the porches. The rest of the facade is plain and more intricate metal or woodwork for the porches would give you great curb appeal. Play up the columns with bright white paint - they are a nice feature.

• PRO
    Tracy Holland With Agnes Agatha
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This home is located in an Historical District. I am not yet familiar with all the rules but I know if anything on the exterior gets changed it has to be approved except paint. As much as I like the idea of the Chippendale-ish rails on the second story they do look out of place. I LOVE the photo that kjbjw sent of the duel railings but that house can handle it with the larger proportions. I think the first step will be painting the door Black until I can replace it with the glass style it was born with. STill love hearing ideas from fellow Houzzers!

• PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mathew Hallet I love your work!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Tracy. If you are going to paint the front door, why black? That house next door is turquoise. So i would be a bit more daring, especially since it looks like an interior door and probably really needs to be replaced. Just cleaning up yard (maybe you aren't in yet?) would be good. Lots to do here as i am sure you know. Good luck.
  • PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No, we are not in yet and it was a rental up until now which should explain the condition the house is in. I was thinking of blue as well however I tend to like muddier colors than turquoise. This is really my sons first house and we will be helping fix it up and staying there for a while.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    That's what I figured. This is quite a project. Hope your son is rolling his sleeves up too! How about a purple door! Son's favorite color?
  • User
    7 years ago

Bayard Blue from Benjamin Moore is a favorite of mine. It has charcoal undertones. Great for accent, but not bright.

Dalton Blue, Pinecrest Gray, Bayard Blue.

• PRO
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Son likes the blue on the right!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I love that blue too. Go with son! The more "ownership" he has the happier all will be! Good luck!
  • User
    7 years ago

Bayard Blue - I've used it and it's gorgeous. Lots of depth.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Done door yet? M
  • PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    7 years ago

I like the Chippendale railing on the second floor and would add rails to it to meet the Code.