Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stutzjam

Adding a 2nd Dining Room Window (Single Hung vs Picture?)

Andy Stutz
7 years ago

We just finalized several renovations on a new house we bought and finally received our furniture for the dining room. After setting it up we, both loving natural light, realized we needed to add another window. This is a 60's ranch with 8 foot ceilings so light is scarce. As you can see in the photos, a window would look great at the end of that dining room table. With plans to eventually expand to the kitchen just to the left we are at an impasse with choosing a window type.

We have grids on all the front of the house and so far no grids on the sides but only have 2 small windows. Eventually we will open those up for the new kitchen into larger windows, which I think I would like to not have grids.

Would it be better to match the other wall's window, 2 single hung with grids or do just put in a picture window? If we did go grids, I think it would look weird to have one grid on the side of the house and the rest non-grid. As you can see, their are two different vantage points as this is a corner lot on a cul-de-sac so our side gets almost more visibility then the front of our house.

Last thing to note is even after clearing out a forest on the side there are still 2 large trees that provide ample shade from the sunlight pounding into the window.

Comments (16)

• apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

Talk to a contractor about what's needed for various window sizes and what the costs will be. In the meantime, take a photo facing the view on the outside, standing close to the outside wall. Print it up the size of your existing windows at a print shop such as Kinkos. Then tape it to the wall to help you decide.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

double hungs are easier to dress and would match what you have. save the Big Glass for out the back...

but will you have no walls left? many people like to put even the bottom of a hutch for storage in their dining room.

another thought is a lighter shade of paint, you havent done yourself a favor having so many uninterrupted square feet of something not very reflective. if you end up deciding not to add windows, go with a lighter shade of your grey perhaps.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

2 single hungs, no grids

• Andy Stutz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I actually already have my contractor / window guy lined up and invoice in hand, it's just a matter of which window. What you can't see is there is a wall to the left with room for a hutch where do now have a buffet. When we do the kitchen there will be a peninsula on the other side with a dual sided cabinet for things like china etc. Here is a pic of the other side of the room. Again, I am just concerned about the windows not matching being they will same size, etc.

• suezbell
    7 years ago

Sliding glass patio door and small deck. Choose wood vertical blinds for the patio door.

• jck910
    7 years ago

Match what is already in the DR

Andy Stutz thanked jck910
  • Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Matching what is already in a room exactly is not necessary.

Andy Stutz thanked Kris Mays
  • stengle
    7 years ago
    We have high windows in two rooms and I love the light, while maintaining privacy.
    Andy Stutz thanked stengle
  • Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Those are nice. Why not repeat those?

• Andy Stutz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Stengle those do look really nice. Krismays, while I'd love to repeat I am actually looking to open up the house a bit more considering this is a Formal dining room and privacy isn't really we are concerned as in fact I'd love for people. What I didn't mention was on the outside we will be eventually wrapping the front porch around so a bigger window will look better from the exterior with that porch.

• outshopping422
    7 years ago

If you are wrapping the porch around...french doors would look beautiful :)

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

I agree with French Doors if you are wrapping your porch around, or at least a single French door. Otherwise, nothing wrong with two single hung windows there.

• Andy Stutz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

outshopping422 I couldn't agree more however what you can't tell from the picture is the house and room is fairly small so it might be a bit crowded. House is only 2000 square feet.

• outshopping422
    7 years ago

Matching what you already have in the dining room would look so pretty. In my opinion the grids would look best since it's the same room. When you do the kitchen, it's technically another room...so no need to match. I love your dining room furniture :)

• Andy Stutz
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you. It's from Park Hill and to no surprise after we bought it we have now spotted every item in an episode of Fixer Upper :)