aianational

WATCH NOW! Wine & Architecture Symposium 2016 - LIVE STREAM AIA/CRAN

The American Institute of Architects
last modified: September 19, 2016

AIA Custom Residential Architects
Network Symposium 2016 is sold out! You can still be part of the action by
tuning in to the FREE LIVE STREAM on Houzz,
beginning September 19th. Topics will cover both residential design and
business practice including, “Wine and Design” and “Client Management - What Are You Really Managing Anyway?”

Watch this space for updates and
a link when the live stream starts on September 19th!

Topics Include:

Maximum Kick with Minimum
Impact: Explorations of Low Carbon Building Systems
- Explore sustainable techniques and learn the pros and cons
of a variety of alternative building systems like straw-bale construction,
PISE, watershed block, and more, as Anni Title, AIA, and David Arkin, AIA,
present several of their residential projects. Integration of renewable energy
systems, rainwater catchment and other sustainable techniques will be included
as well.·

Photography &
Architecture: A Marriage of More than 150 Years
- Why are professional photographers
important to the perception and story of your work? Join Phillip Ennis, a
renowned architectural and interior photographer, as he dives into the
evolution of architectural photography throughout the 20th century and the ways
it has transformed how we see and perceive buildings. Learn about the latest
technology, techniques, and tools used to achieve today's quality photographs,
and how a professional can create their own photographs and use photography to
stay relevant in today’s fast paced, here today, gone tomorrow world.

Behind the Design: Real Life Business
Strategies for Architecture and Development
- A diverse panel of residential architects will share business secrets behind their most successful residential architecture projects. Practicing from a broad range of firms, from traditional to architect-as-developer, panelists will discuss the many roles residential architects must play in order to build successful businesses.

Deepa Mungara

So excited for this year's CRAN Symposium! Did anyone else tune in last year?

Anonymous

All the best with the Symposium this year, I might have to eek out a little time to check it out! Cheers!

Twisted Flavour Red Wine · More Info

The American Institute of Architects thanked Anonymous
    The American Institute of Architects

We hope you do get a chance to tune in!

• Emily H

The presenters in past years have been super engaging. Looking forward to it!

The American Institute of Architects

We agree Emily! This year will be the same; there are some great sessions.

The Quiet Moose

The Photography & Architecture session looks interesting. I love how good photography can be used to tell the story of a project.

Studio Z Architecture

I've been involved in planning the last few CRAN symposiums, and I am unfortunately not able to attend this year's. I am very grateful to Houzz for livestreaming the event!

Andrea Carminio

Is there a way to receive Continuing Education Credits ?

Deepa Mungara

Hi Andrea, you will have the opportunity to receive CEUs after symposium via Houzz and AIA. Look out for an email from us or check back here in a couple of weeks for the link.

Andrea Carminio

That's great, Thanks!

McNeill Design Architects

Is this a free log in event?

Deepa Mungara

Yes! It's free to the Houzz Pro community. Feel free to share this link with your friends and colleagues and they can view the live stream for free with a free Houzz professional profile: www.houzz.com/cran2016

Hamilton Snowber Architects

Not to put too fine a point on it, but with the AIA LU's be HSW? Thanks.

Design Intervention

If we happen to miss a segment will there be podcasts we can access?

Studio Z Architecture

I'm Dawn Zuber, chair of CRAN this year, and I have been closely involved in organizing the symposium. The only way you'll be able to obtain any AIA learning units for the event is to either attend in person or watch one of the videos after the event.
    You cannot receive AIA learning units for watching the live broadcast. I would like to see this change in the future, but for now, it's the best we can do. After the symposium, AIA and Houzz will divide up the sessions and some will be available via Houzz and some will be available via AIAU. Watching these recordings and taking a brief quiz will be the only way you'll be able to get learning units, many of which will be HSW.

Design Intervention

Thank you so much for kindly replying to my question. Not looking for the learning units, just interested in watching the video for the information.

Studio Z Architecture

Thanks, Design Intervention. I was responding to several people's questions in one post. Some people asked about learning units and whether HSW credits will be given, and I wanted to clarify that they can't be obtained just by watching the live broadcast.

To respond to your specific question: the videos will be available on AIAU or on Houzz.

Deepa Mungara

CRAN 2016 is streaming live now! Feel free to share www.houzz.com/cran2016 with colleagues so they can access the free live stream too.

The American Institute of Architects

#CRAN2016 has officially started! We're looking forward to reading your comments.

Deepa Mungara

If anyone has questions during the sessions, please post them here. We will share them with the speaker during Q&A.

plan Z a r c h i t e c t s

Great opportunity provided by HOUZZ and AIA/CRAN. Thank you!

The American Institute of Architects

People are tuning into the live stream from around the world! So far, we have representation from Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Trinidad and
    Tobago, and Kuwait.

Deepa Mungara

You can now add Italy, Peru, Egypt, Honduras, and Australia to the list!

Elisabeth Sloan, Architect

Thanks for the live streaming HOUZZ! I am really enjoying watching it from my office. I had some problems with overlapping audio and I did not realize that all I needed to do was to refresh the screen. You might put that somewhere...

Elisabeth Sloan, Architect

With regard to getting AIA Learning Units, it appears that the AIA still allows self reporting of courses. So, it seems to me the courses you watched live streamed could be self reported. https://aia.learnflex.net/users/index.aspx

The American Institute of Architects thanked Elisabeth Sloan, Architect
    Deepa Mungara

Loved listening to Phillip Ennis talk about the importance of professional photography. If you are looking to hire a photographer, check out http://www.houzz.com/getPhotos.

8TFive Studio

Fantastic Idea to live stream the event! Look forward to the upcoming speeches!

The American Institute of Architects

Thanks Elisabeth,

Most
    if not all of the CRAN Symposium sessions will be available after the event for
    Learning Units, on AIAU or Houzz. We encourage interested members to
    watch them there to get the AIA/CES Learning Units. Self-reported activities
    are not eligible for HSW LUs.

Deepa Mungara

Day 2 of CRAN is here! Learn about the architecture of wineries and how nature can enhance your design.

• Liza Hausman

Talking wine and architecture this morning! Wine baths? Wine tourism?

Modern Wine Cellar · More Info

Deepa Mungara

Anyone see the Green Police last year? It was thoroughly entertaining and informative.

Studio Z Architecture

They were among the most popular speakers for last year's symposium, so we invited them back!

plan Z a r c h i t e c t s

Michael Anschel, a breath of fresh air!

Next Era Design Studio

Loved "Behind The Design", thank you for sharing!

EMW Architecture

Thanks so much houzz for streaming the CRAN Symposium. The sessions I've seen have been great. Makes me wish I had attended in person! I will look forward to seeing the podcasts of sessions I missed this week, and taking the quiz's for CE credits. Will there be a cost associated with this? Will houzz email me with a link when they are available? Hoping so......

Deepa Mungara

Thanks for tuning in! In a couple of weeks, half of the session recordings will be available for free on Houzz and the others will be on the AIA site. You will be able to receive a learning unit for each session upon passing a quiz. Look out for an email from Houzz. You can also check back here for links to the recordings in a couple of weeks.

EMW Architecture

Thanks. I'll look forward to that!

AVDesign Firm

Thank you so much for making this available! Great topics all around and I'm enlightened moving forward. Thank you Houzz!

Robert E. Moore.Architect

What I was able to see was very good. Were the all symposiums recorded and available for later viewing?

Studio Z Architecture

Robert,

I'm glad you enjoyed the sessions you watched.

The past 3 symposiums (2014, 2015, and 2016) were all recorded. After each of those symposiums, Houzz and CRAN have divvied up the courses, so some are offered on each platform. You can view and get credit for the following courses on AIAU:

CRAN Symposium 2014: The New Traditional Houze (panel discussion)

CRAN Symposium 2014: Traditions of Home (Witold Rybczynski)

CRAN Symposium 2014: Paradise Planned (Robert A.M. Stern)

CRAN Symposium 2014: Architect Roundtable: The New Modern House (panel discussion)

CRAN Symposium 2015: Client Attraction (Enoch Sears)

CRAN Symposium 2015: Profit... then Art: 12 Steps to Building a Successful Small Firm (Mark R. LePage)

CRAN Symposium 2015: Elevating the Art of BIM for Residential Design and Practice (Jared Banks)

I'll post here when the 2016 sessions are uploaded to AIAU. Deepa will have to let us know how to find the recordings on Houzz.

Please let me know if there are particular speakers or topics you'd like to see addressed at future CRAN symposiums. You can email me directly at dzuber(at)studiozarch.com.