Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurzeemc38

White Kitchen - did you use MDF or painted wood and would you change?

Laura Mac
7 years ago

I have over 40 white kitchens saved to my idea board, and now my cabinet makers are coming to me saying use MDF doors (even the biggest manufacturer in LA). Is it just me, or does MDF scream formaldehyde gas and fake? I have tons of gorgeous antiques (walnut, and dark hardwoods) in my house so wanted to brighten up with a white kitchen. Have things changed with MDF? Do you have it and would you mind sharing your experiences?

Comments (9)

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

mdf doesnt 'move' with the yearly change in humidity, so cracks won't open in multi part doors. i have a white paint grade maple kitchen with mdf doors, stays perfect. i have multipart crown of wood, had to be repainted 3 times in 2 years.

i sure would hate to have had to have the cabinet doors repainted that many times.

not sure these scream fake or not. but they dont scream open seams.

• Laura Mac
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Great kitchen -- your cabinets are perfect. Thank you for your input!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

IMO MDF is the choice I would make if they are painted it holds paint better and as mentioned the seams don’t open in humidity changes.

• Laura Mac
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's what I'm hearing too and totally makes sense. I'm curious if there are research studies on the emissions of the MDF....

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

thats what google is for. i havent heard of an issue tho.

• PRO
    R G MILLER (YBC)
    7 years ago

Cabinet manufacturer's use to make painted cabinets with wood centerpanels. Problem is that the wood expands and contracts, paint doesn't. So the centerpanels would have sections of unpainted wood exposed over time, which did not look good. Cabinet manufacturers have changed the centerpanels to MDF to prevent shrinkage of center panels. This way you will not have an unpainted line showing on your center panel. It was a very good ideal.

Basically with cabinetry and painted cabinetry you have outgassing from the paint and other materials. If you are concerned about formaldehyde exposure, etc. I would consult an allergist before remodeling your kitchen. There are plants that will help absorb the outgassing. NASA has a list of plants to use in your home to help take chemicals out of the air.

Laura Mac thanked R G MILLER (YBC)
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Once the MDF is painted it can’t off gas

Laura Mac thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Cabinets by Design LLC
    7 years ago

Ask your cabinet maker if they have a formaldehyde free option on the MDF doors. It may cost you a little more but if it is a concern then maybe you would be happier going that way. Some people are very bothered by the joint cracks and others are not. You have to decide if you can live with the joint cracks. You can also get a wood frame door with an MDF center panel to help with the expansion that comes with humidity.

Laura Mac thanked Cabinets by Design LLC
Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!