Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alhughes1

The Devil is in the details

Amy Hughes
7 years ago

Our cabin bedroom is close to being done! I feel like there is a little room for improvement - what do you think?

Here's the skinny: The striped fabric on the bed is a curtain panel to be hung.

What can't be changed: wall color, bedding, night stands, wood wall art

Subject to possible change: lamps or lampshade, color of nightstand (paint them?), pillows

Comments (96)

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I cannot make a decision on bedside lamps!! Here are a few ideas... thoughts?... They are all at least 7-8" taller than the existing clear base lamps in the photos, so the scale should be better!

• printesa
    7 years ago

I would do something slender as the 2nd option, but with a blue color and shine as your 3rd option.

• havingfun
    7 years ago

ok, just going to do lamps for now.

Table Lamps, Desk Lamps and Bedside Lamps | Pier 1 Imports · More Info

Marcus Mercury Glass Tapered Column Table Lamp - #8W701 | LampsPlus.com · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

Accent Pillows Throw Pillows In Bedding Less Than $100 Page 9 From Bellacor · More Info

VCNY Lodge Throw Pillow · More Info

VCNY Dover Throw Pillow · More Info

Birch Lane Anjali Pillow Cover | Birch Lane · More Info
    i have lots more, let me know if you like any.

• J D
    7 years ago
    Like the lamps havjngfun posted. I think some of the blue lamps you posted will look just too matchy matchy w all the other blues. I like having funs more subtle blue lamps. Or lamps w no blue too.
    Amy Hughes thanked J D
  • Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok, so maybe something similar to what is already there, but larger.

• J D
    7 years ago
    Could be. Maybe the word I meant wasn't "matchy-matchy" but more boring (Just my opinion....don't wanna sound mean sorry). I think even a blue w a pattern would work or like those faded-blue lamps having fun posted. The pillows are navy and lighter blue, right?
  • J D
    7 years ago
    I think the non blue ones you posted would add interest too. They would be nice (the gold and the wood ones you showed above). There should also be some pattern brought in somewhere in the room.
    Amy Hughes thanked J D
  • Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I follow you... I had some reservation about blue lamps initially, but then saw several suggestions for blue lamps... so thought it was the way to go! I can shift gears easily and consider a none blue, taller lamp with some shine. That feels more comfortable to me and more my style. :)

As far as pillows - the two larger are dark navy. What I'm intending to do is add a smaller pillow in the front with pattern - totally agree!

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really like the BirchLane collection of blue pillows. I think I should find a patterned pillow on their website that will work for me!

• J D
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Absolutely. Adding some pattern with the pillows would really help. Again I'm not saying no blue...I just don't think a completely solid blue is best. Adding some more rustic elements in addition to the art would be nice too...could try to do this w the lamp like the wooden one you chose. A rug might help to break up the solids, as well.

• J D
    7 years ago
    For the pillows I suggest getting two printed ones that are larger than the navy ones. Of course a throw at some point would look nice too.
    Can we see a pic of the rest of the room?
    Amy Hughes thanked J D
  • Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm hoping to get back to the house in a couple weeks, I'll take more photos then and post them.

And the chandelier is lovely! For now (at least), I chose to look past the current fixture. The home is being used for deer hunting (as we speak), and then UTVing and snowmobiling as well. You get the idea. :) Just for fun, I can show you a picture of what it looked like when we bought it. :O

Master bedroom - before · More Info

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

While I'm at it, here is a before of the kitchen/dining area. Hell-O 1995 country cabin!

Country Home to Modern Cabin · More Info

Light fixture replacement · More Info

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What we've done so far...

Dining room table chairs · More Info

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Big difference!

Where to upload photos to! · More Info

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Back to the task at hand...how about two of these on the bed?

Get rid of what's there... ?

Bedroom · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

i have the first one in a lumbar. good price. you know if you like the two you have, you just need to add one with a pattern or pic on it. did you not like the ones i got? i can get more or those are fine.

when it comes to the lamps, i really meant one lamp be blue. you did not want to keep the bally thing? silver is always nice

Lighting · More Info

floor lamp or
    Ore International on Sale at Gilt · More Info

Gray Twist Table Lamp | Pier 1 Imports · More Info

• J D
    7 years ago
    I liked the lamps you posted having fun...sorry I strayed the convo from the blue lamps. I was just saying I didn't like the solid blue lamps posted by Amy.
    About the pillows amy, I would keep the pillows you have and get two 24x24 inch pillows and put them in back (demonstrated in pic below). The pillow you like comes in 24" as well and I attached some more pillows in 24" if you like this idea:
  • J D
    7 years ago

Didn't find the Safavieh in a 24" though (or larger). But if I looked hard enough, it could be out there. One more 24" pillow w kind of a rustic feel to go w wood artwork:

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    An update from the ever evolving, can't get it quite right cabin bedroom !
    The blue pillows are fighting me! Earlier post(s) said the blue pillows weren't the way to go- too dark. I had tried additional small throw pillows in front of them, with white, blue...just didn't look right to me. I think I need to go back to the drawing board and not try to match with the curtains.
    So here is another direction. Trying to work more with the wood art and wicker piece at the end of the bed. Taller lamps, and one simple throw pillow in tan & cream. The antlers on the pillow match the theme in here- modern cabin.
    Maybe now focus on a chunky throw blanket at the end of the bed and/or a headboard? Any thoughts?
  • Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I also think painting the night stands might help. They are off white, and aren't adding any interest. I had thought about grey, yellow...
  • printesa
    7 years ago

You can use the navy pillows, but you need two more pillows. The navy ones should be as the background and then you come in front of them with some lighter pillows that have both white and some blue and then you can use that little one in the middle.

• printesa
    7 years ago

These are not the exact setup, but you see dark behind the light pillows

Beach Style Bedroom · More Info

Urban Chic · More Info

• J D
    7 years ago
    If you get a headboard, I would get one that is not super tall or else even the bigger lamps you got will be out of proportion.
  • J D
    7 years ago

So the other pillows I found maybe weren't rustic enough. I can try looking again? Also the navy pillows are way too small to go in back of any other pillows. The idea is to layer your pillows from largest to smallest...get two larger patterened pillows for in back of the navys.

You could paint your nightstands a distressed dark blackish gray. Don't overdo dark colors in small space though. I like the nightstands as is also. You could try to change the nightstand hardware to something super unique and rustic.

Or if you want color, not yellow nightstands. Red is a very classic rustic color. Maybe paint them red and distress them. Would look nice w the blue. And then for the patterened pillows, red and blue to tie the two colors together further

• J D
    7 years ago

Rustic and very cute. Two of these and done. Size 22".

Less colorful look with a few furs and printed lampshades (kept lamp base):

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ok, I think I've got it! Lamps and pillows, that is.
    Thank you to everyone that told me I needed larger lamps! That made a big difference. :) I don't think I would have figured that out on my own, a designer I am not.
    I think maybe down the road I would like a bench at the end of the bed that we can sit on. I would look for something relatively narrow as the room is small.
  • Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I changed my tune and ordered a headboard. Low profile, nice grey linen fabric.

I'm looking forward to adding this to the room! :)

Cabin · More Info

• printesa
    7 years ago

I think that will make a big change, in a good way

• callque
    7 years ago

I'm so glad you decided to get a headboard. It will be just what the room needs to finish it off. Great choice in fabric too.

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm not sure why I was so resistant to the idea! I agree it will add the definition, texture and color needed. Thanks!

• anniebird
    7 years ago
    Looks like things are headed in the right direction. I think a blue throw at the end of your bed would help make a connection between soft blue curtains and pillows. Here's one from pottery barn: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/herringbone-mohair-throw/?pkey=cthrows-blankets&&cthrows-blankets

I know the wall color is staying; perhaps someone has suggested this already, but you might consider painting the wall behind your headboard two shades darker than the rest of the walls or a soft blue/gray that corresponds to your curtains. I think that would make your art and headboard stand out nicely. I have a feeling you may want to rearrange the four pieces of art when the headboard arrives - I wonder how they would look arranged in a line or one-two-one.
    Amy Hughes thanked anniebird
  • Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    7 years ago

You were right annie bird - we will be moving the wood art. :) Oh well, you live and learn. Making continued progress.... :)

• printesa
    7 years ago

This looks much better. The wood art does need to go:)

• callque
    7 years ago
    Looks so great with a headboard!! The room is really coming together.
  • Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Back at this.... we have been focused on other rooms in the house.

The wood art squares are down. Considering hanging this rectangular wall art above the headboard. This seems a better choice... what do you think?

One idea I have is to find a canvas art that had more color... grey, white, blue and an accent color. To bring in the pop of a random color.

Also circling back to the nightstands. They are off white and look ok, but a little drab next to the white comforter, trim, etc. I still think about painting them, but would need to be subtle. My husband went along with a bright blue nightstand in the guest room, but he's not on board with something bold in our bedroom! :)

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is the cute blue dresser/nightstand in the guest room. While my hubby likes how it turned out, one room with blue furniture is enough for him!

• printesa
    6 years ago

I like the art, but I think it's too dark for the room. The room needs a bit of color,..blues are nice so you could find something with blues that are light and airy and you like

Amy Hughes thanked printesa
  • printesa
    6 years ago

Yes, something like that, just not as tall as the one in the photo. See what fits there best, and get something similar. That is very calming

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I thought the trio of 8 x 10 like prints may work. Possibly with white frames....

• printesa
    6 years ago

I was thinking a trio as well..get some blue tape and see what those measurements would looks like above the bed...just to make sure that the height is not too small. Sometimes it's difficult to see the actual sizes in photos

• Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We found artwork for above the bed! I think my work in this room is just about done!
  • printesa
    6 years ago

It looks beautiful! it has all the colors from your bed and adds enough blue to bring a pop of color

• ashtonchic
    6 years ago

Looks so good!!!

Amy Hughes thanked ashtonchic
  • anniebird
    6 years ago
    Well done Amy!
  • Amy Hughes
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I really appreciate everyone's help... it came together nicely, but I couldn't have gotten to this point on my own! The other great thing is that I learned some basic decorating that I didn't know before !!! :) Reminds me there are so many nice people in this world willing to help for free.