Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barrow

What should change? almost finished with boring bathroom!

Jane Barrow
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Mostly I am thinking that the problem is a single light bulb in ceiling and that until I get proper light fixtures hooked up and towel racks etc (i.e. details) that all will look better, But for now and for all the work that went into this (- on the cheap bathroom rehab) it feels SO disappointing and I'm exhausted (!). We love the glass tile above tub and I thank design photos on Houzz for this. I chose a white paint for wall that had a subtle lavender tone to it because I thought it would offer a nice contrast to the subtle green in glass. It does, but I think its too cold now? or is it just the one ceiling light? We took an old oak desk and put a new sink in it (that we found in alley) the fellow who helped did a beautiful job but it gets lost against dark floor tile (or again, is it just the one light bulb in ceiling?). Finally, walls were damaged and needed to do lots of plaster so lots of plaster dust before wall painting and the has settled into the grout making the grid so much more evident than originally intended. Perhaps I'm just over sensitive. A cheap rehab for a bathroom means a very very slow rehab! and its our only full bath. I had a chance to change the wall color but let it all go as we were anxious to have bathroom put back together. We are both professors and school has begun. Now that toilet and sink are tightly fit in, I wish I HAD changed wall color. I'm exhausted. Any ideas???

Comments (10)

• katinparadise
    7 years ago

Your bathroom looks wonderful. The lovely wood in the vanity does a nice job of warming it up and contrasts nicely with the floor. Carry that wood through in a few different places-maybe a framed print or shelf over the toilet. Add a lovely shower curtain and you'll be in good shape. I just finished a kitchen remodel and questioned everything along the way. It wasn't until every last feature was added that I realized how well it had come together.

• PRO
    Chi Renovation & Design
    7 years ago

Here are some of our renovations, maybe showing them to you will spark some more ideas. Add sconces to the mirror, artwork, plants, a shower curtain, and accessories.

Small Yet Sophisticated Bathroom Remodel · More Info

Downtown Condo Makeover · More Info

Lincoln Park Condo Bathroom Remodeling · More Info

• Barbara Almandarz
    7 years ago

Your bathroom looks great. If you can, I'd take the glass tile all the way to the ceiling, I now you don't want to hear that. It will give your room a more custom contemporary look. I'm not a fan of the lavender undertones. They have a cool look to them. Glass has a natural green to it that I think works better with a warmer color. Looking a warmer lavender undertone vs the cool one you have chosen. Once you add some texture (towels, rugs, shower curtain) you'll have a warmer feel. Good luck.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

I think painting the walls a color similar to the floor but just a little lighter will provide a nice contrast to your great selections.

I would also install a full height drapery panel backed by a vinyl curtain for your shower curtain.

Then I would place a very nice piece of art over the toilet. With all the straight lines in your room, abstract would be a nice relief.

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

Could we see more photos, please? You haven't even shown us the single light bulb. ;-)

I love the tile behind the tub and the vanity looks beautiful. I do think the problem is the wall color. Too much pastel and no contrast. Beverly has the right idea, but I might go with a greeny-gray.

• acm
    7 years ago

The tile is gorgeous. Hang in for fall break and you can always repaint it then -- you can try some samples of other colors on poster board meantime, and have nice long chances ot see them in various light...

Agree that we need to see more of the room; in particular, a main bath should have the equivalent of about 120-200W of old-style light, which means way more than one bulb. Perhaps you can get a larger overhead fixture or add a light over your mirror once your initial exhaustion has dissipated. Hang in there!

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

• Jan
    7 years ago
    You could always add a chandelier with more lights. Drapes, not shower curtain and a liner would add color. I alway use a fabric liner and tension rods hung high.
  • RubyRoses
    7 years ago
    I think your remodel turned out lovely. yes, a different wall color could be better, but try swapping the light bulb for a warmer light.
    I think once you add the finishes, you will be much happier.