Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

How'd they do this?

bpath
7 years ago

New career for vampires: real estate photographer. That's the only way I can think of that they got this shot, straight on into a mirror.

Comments (21)

• missouribound
    7 years ago

I'm no pro, and it looks like a pro took this. That said, I would stand beside the door in the bedroom and stick my camera out and take the picture. Then photoshop the camera. They might be able to do that with a tripod.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Wow. This is a mystery! Can't believe you even caught it, bp. Impressive.

• bpath
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Tibbrix, it's a gorgeous house that I've always found intriguing, so now that it's on the market I'm poring over the listing pictures to understand the house, and of course to "snoop"! Poring over this one, it jumped out at me that that's a mirror, not a doorway.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

I would march right in there and ask the owner who took the pics, contact that person, ask him or her how he or she did that, then march right back here and let us know! What a bizarre thing! That is a mirror alright, and the camera is dead-on straight in front of it.

• bpath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tibbrix you crack me up! Although, maybe I'll call the realtor...

I can't imagine that they will ever hold an Open House. But boy, do I wish. Maybe it will be on a local benefit home tour next year? This past year 3 of the 5 homes on one tour were on the market. I don't know if it helps the houses sell, but it sure brings people in for the home tour.

• bpath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I see, so the vampire was standing behind the bed! Of course. Lying in wait for dinner.

JK. I can't believe I was thinking the photographer had to be in front of the bed, not behind. Thanks, Pal, for being technologically aware/voice of reason/relieving my fears/quashing my imagination. Now I won't be afraid to go on the home tour without a turtleneck on (I'm hopeful it will be on the tour!)

• bpath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So part of the dark shadow under the bed is the photographer's feet? Or is it a monster under the bed?

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

I think the camera was actually in the doorway on a tripod or a stick at that level not as far back as behind the bed. But it has to be coming from that vicinity.

There is some distortion from the lens and from the fact that the mirror is leaning against the wall and throws the reflection slightly up, but if you draw in the vanishing points:

The orange line along the front of the vanities shows that the reflected image is canted up by the mirror.

bpath thanked palimpsest
  • practigal
    7 years ago

Interesting. I presumed the black area under the bed was where the camera was and while the photog blacked out his/her hand and camera he left his/her shadow on the floor....

bpath thanked practigal
  • bpath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My art class was so long ago and we only used vanishing points for drawing, not for interpreting, to this is fascinating. How do you use the vanishing point to determine where the "viewer" is? Or do you need to know distances, as well? Would I need to get out a surveyor's tool?

• bpath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Practigal, for a moment I wondered if the camera was tucked between the pillows and had a remote control.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

I think the camera was placed on the wall beyond the view of the camera. It is in the upper corner because the bathroom wall is open from the ceiling

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

At first I thought maybe the camera was down low, but that would give you a worms eye view perspective, and the vanishing point would end up down by the floor.

Look at this right-above-floor-level view of a renovation project. Look at how the ceiling line converges very sharply down. The camera is probably eye level with the mailbox slot.

• palimpsest
    7 years ago

Now look at this camera-almost-at-the-ceiling view. It's so close that 1) you can see the ceiling sag, and 2) the vanishing point disappears because it is higher than the header over that passage. Even accounting for distortion, they are going to point to the general vicinity of the viewpoint opposite.

• lascatx
    7 years ago

MY guess is that the camera was placed on a trippod behind the bed (so most or all of the legs don't show), and long angle lens used (so the room looks longer rather than the fisheye effect we are used to in real estate photos) and then the camera was photoshoped out. Pal is right -- there is a shadow on that wall -- a darker rectangle where the camera probably was. There might even be art on the wall that was clipped out.

Look under the bed -- something was on the other side.

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

Could be done easily with a camera on either a small tripod or on a stick, using a wireless remote and then edited out of the photo.

• bpath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lascatx I think that shadow is a curtain on the other side of the bed that has been photoshopped out. I see it in the bedroom shots.

Look next to the shadow under the bed, it's even lighter than other parts of the floor. How odd.

yes, of course I have more important things to do today. :)

• dchall_san_antonio
    7 years ago

Very clever. I think the red frame with the white empty space was added in Photoshop to cover the camera. Otherwise, why have an empty red frame?

• bpath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No, Palimpsest added thd red square to show where photoshopping had occurred. Look again the original photo at the top of the thread.

• Yayagal
    7 years ago

bpathome you made me laugh out loud with the line about the turtle neck. Very funny.