Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyabernathy1

Marble backsplash help!

amyabernathy1
7 years ago

We decided to "diy" tile our marble kitchen backsplash. The marble has seamed to darken with install. Some look greyer and some look watermarked or wet. Any idea what is causing this? Could it be absorbing moisture from the mortar/thin set? We used omnigrip white adhesive that states it ok to use on marble. We haven't grouted or sealed it yet. Looking for answers before we continue. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If you just finished, yes, the tile will briefly darken as it hasn't dried behind. Give it a day......at least. You can't grout immediately following install anyway. A full day should be allowed.

• amyabernathy1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's been 3 days with little no difference in the color returning to white . I'm not opposed to having more grey. However, because I don't understand why it's becoming darker once applied to the adhesive, I'm nervous it won't be consistent throughout the kitchen. Or may change again.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

Welcome to the porosity of marble. The COLOUR of the adhesive/thinset/mortar can also have an effect on the final colour of the marble when installed. Have you sealed it yet?

Some marble professionals require the tile be sealed PRIOR to install and then 3-4 times AFTER install. Some sealants change the colour of marble. The variations you are seeing are to be expected and may or may not go back to "white" even when dried.

It is lovely. I would continue the job, grout it and seal it as REQUIRED. If you are going to have this tile anywhere NEAR an "oil splash zone" you will need to seal that area MULTIPLE TIMES before use. There have been SEVERAL Houzzers who didn't do it and they then had IMMEDIATE oil absorption the FIRST time they used their stove. It took WEEKS of work (poultices ever night for weeks) to get the oil stain out (they only managed an 80-90% removal of the oil stain).

Just a little FYI for marble as backsplash in a kitchen. While you are waiting for the 3 day - 1 week dry time (to see if the tiles go back to white) you will want to read up on how to seal and WHEN to seal these tiles (is it BEFORE the grout is applied...or after? Hmmmmm...good question).

Good luck and have fun with your dynamic, living marble finish. It will continue to evolve (change) and patina (stain/etch) as it ages. Enjoy it for what it is...a beautiful dynamic stone.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

you can seal after you grout. Really no reason to do it first,,you want to let the moisture from the grout escape. wait a few days and then apply your sealer to everything. Do you have a good impregnating sealer on hand??

• Conni Bjornnes
    7 years ago

I think it looks great.

• amyabernathy1
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So we purchased a penetrating sealer for the marble backsplash. Is this enough protection or do we need an impregnating sealer? It is a slow process and the tiles chip very easily when cut, (ugh) but I will post pics when we are done. Thanks!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

i use either 511 impregnating or aquascape penetrating sealer. ( I do believe they mean the same thing!) Sealer/enhancer will richen the color (if you like what it looks like wet, then get the enhancer, if not, then just get the penetrating/impregnating sealer). Do not let it sit on the tile for more than a few minutes. read the instructions carefully.

• Megan Lord
    6 years ago

Hi Amy,

I believe we have the same backsplash! Has it returned to the original white now?

• amyabernathy1
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Meghan,
    Yes overall it lightened up but not to the original “whiteness” of the unused tile sheets (I actually like it with more grey). Good luck!
  • PRO
    O Jennings Home Builders
    6 years ago

I really like the way it turned out!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Amy, where did you purchase that tile? it's very nice. your kitchen came out great. I'm so glad you tiled above the window. I think it adds a bit more to the look.

• Megan Lord
    6 years ago

Thank you Amy, it seems to evening itself out. Iam happy with it. Was afraid the ‘picture framing’ effect would stay.

• amyabernathy1
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Beth,
    Thank you so much. My husband was cursing me during install. But I agree I love that he took it all away around the windows. This is the tile we purchased about 2 years ago from Lowe’s. I don’t think it was great quality it was very hard to work with chipping and breaking. A few even cracked as the mastic dried. Maybe that’s just marble? But love the end product.
  • Nina A
    4 years ago

Looking for tile adhesive/ thin set and grout recommendations to install carrera mosaic backsplash. Thanks for your help.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Nina, White thinset, not the gray. and it should say, "for marble or natural stone". Versabond white mortar for marble is one. home depot has it. Make sure it's in the bag and you have to mix it. do not use "Mastic" ready mix stuff in the tub.

or go to your tile store and get it from them. Grout should be Non-sanded. I like a light gray grout w/carrara. I used Warm Gray from Mapei. (Lowes) But Custom Polyblends from HD will also work.

Platinum and DeLorean Gray are popular if your grays in the room are cooler, blue grays. if doing more natural grays, go w/Oyster gray.

• Nina A
    4 years ago

Thank so much Beth. I was just on my way to HD & Lowes. Will look for these.