Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anamaria_comsa

Please help design my kitchen

Anamaria Dobrin
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi! I am going to design my very first kitchen, I knew it would be tough, but not this tough. There's so many general rules, hints, things to consider, that I just can't get it right. Where to put the sink best? Where to put the fridge, the range+hood? The room already exists, the piping for the sink is already under the window... There are many openings on the walls, so it's very difficult. How would you do it? Thank you!

This is it.. there are no floors yet.

Comments (8)

• libradesigneye
    7 years ago

Designing a kitchen in an existing space depends a great deal on the organization of the walls, power, plumbing and exhaust for the range. Since I don't know much about all of it, I will give a simple answer that looks like it will work well.

Center your sink under the window and put a dishwasher underneath to the left towards the bay. Run lower cabinets all across this wall. On the right end, turn the L and put the refrigerator across from the bay where your refrigeration will be nearer the living area. Use upper and lower corner cabinets between the refrigerator and the sink wall so that you have access to the storage space sandwiched there. Upper cabinets to the left of the sink into the corner.

On the wall between the two doorways, you have over 6' - this is the place to center your oven and range top with an exhaust hood mounted to the wall. On each side, a narrow lower cabinet with some space to stage food as you cook will do (.4-.5 m/ 18" wide will do). If you need shelves above the side cabinets for storage, leave them open so the light from the door can flow across the entire room. This wall might be tiled to the ceiling to protect it from the cooking oil etc.

This layout will give you a decent work triangle. The bay can be handled different ways.

If it were my kitchen, I would put a built in banquette or bench seat under the bay window with washable cushion covers and a round pedestal table. Consult online for details of a good banquette seat and all the proper depths needed - you can also put storage in the seat for larger items that you don't use often. Also, consider the size of the table carefully - the top should come over your lap when you sit so that people are comfortable there . . Something around 1.2 - 1.4 meter diameter table will fit nicely there.

Anamaria Dobrin thanked libradesigneye
  • Anamaria Dobrin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you both!

@libradesigneye, your ideas will help me so much! The fridge was my major problem. Just one other small question, would it be possible/useful to have an island? I love that idea....

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 years ago

You can also try doing something like this. I designed a similar kitchen a while back, so I made a few tweaks to work with your layout.

Good luck!

• Anamaria Dobrin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

wow! you people are awesome! thanks for all your great help! and any other to follow :) good luck on all your projects!

• libradesigneye
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If you do an island, you can make it a big deep one and then eliminate anything on the door wall (except maybe some flat hanging sort of mudroom stuff) - great for brooms and coats - but this is the most visible wall from living isn't it? . . . . not a fan of the fridge in the corner by the bay due to extra depth needed for fridge that will block bay - rather have it come out all by itself on the other end.

If you leave 42 - 48" between cabinets/sink and island, then you have 8' - 8'6" for island and walkway area - leave 4' for walkway and make island 4' deep . . now it all works. Otherwise, you have skinny island and tight kitchen. Hood through ceiling over island may not work either . . .

I like the idea of my first suggestion plus a sort of open, square butcher block island with a lower open shelf and shallow drawers. Then, you get the function of an island / extra countertop . . two people can work at different spaces here easily . . but you have room for people to move about and to the seating area . . .

May I suggest you keep enough room in the budget for a fabulous light fixture in the bay . .. hang it above your eye level so you can see out under it . . but it should be on a dimmer switch so you can turn all the other lights off and put it low for a romantic meal now and again . .

Anamaria Dobrin thanked libradesigneye
  • Anamaria Dobrin
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@libradesigneye, you're right, the door wall is visible from many places in the living room, so it might not be that nice to see mudroom stuff all the time :) but I also like your idea of the open island with shelf. That low open shelf can be the place freshly cooked/baked stuff can cool down without cramping the countertops :)

Oh, I love kitchens! Thanks again :)

P.S.: One more question, if I'm not too insistent, is there room/what is the best place for a breakfast bar?

• libradesigneye
    7 years ago
    instead of seating around a table in the bay, depending on your sill height, you could treat the bay in this fashion. . but if you forgo the larger island, and keep the stove on the door wall. . . you still have 9.5-10 feet (on mobile so not converting for you). You need 3.5 feet on the stove side and 3.5 feet on the sink side. that leaves 2.5 feet easy - open but lower shelf can work as bar if shelf is smaller depth above knees / then foot rest. stools that tuck under. trick is depth other direction is around same once fridge depth removed. A 3 foot square with the right configuration will leave the nook intact but offer your bar