Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_ephrat

Finalized Kitchen plans... Any input would be appreciated.

Lisa Ephrat
7 years ago
I changed 2 things from original plans.
1 Wolf range with oven on bottom. Instead of stand up oven drawers. Reason - cheaper!
I centered the fridge and put pantries on both sides. The original plan showed covered fridge on one side pantry on other.
2 dishwashers one on both sides of sink
Kitchen island has one microwave with drawer on bottom. One wine fridge. And 2 pull out Fridges to store sodas and drinks. So kids can easily get drinks.
Any input or criticism I love ... Thanks.
Windows have grids only on top.

Comments (55)

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Yes, sinks back to back like that don't make any sense.

• PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @sophie. Ceiling is 10ft. These are pics of the home now. It's being framed. This home is a spec home.
    This picture represents the kitchen and open concept family room. The bare space will be floor to ceiling Windows. Which will be the family room. I'm taking the pic from the place where kitchen will be. So you can see size from this.
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I have had customers who didn't want a sink in their island. Def a debate. But I would say 80% of my buyers always want a sink in island.
  • Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Sink in the island is great. Back to back....no sense whatsoever.

• PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks @lori for drawer idea. I don't think any other place for the island sink would be good. Remember I will have about 6 chairs there. I def want the sink. And it looks good centered. Can't have it where people are sitting. This is a HUGE kitchen and home. Def enough aisle space.
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Where should I move sinks to?
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is the last home I sold. She bought from the frame. So my customers chose finishes. This is back to back sinks. She wanted that. The new home is same configuration. Just opposite sides. And bigger than this.
  • D J
    7 years ago
    For such a big kitchen I would hire a kitchen designer. Even a few hours consult would be helpful.
    The prep sink should be out of the working triangle. And I think garbages at 2 different locations would be helpful too.
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @bere. These are designs from my kitchen designer. Certainly not home drawn. And yes. I always put 4 garbages in 2 dif locations. One in island. One near sink on counter. 2 for garbage. 2 for recycling. I use architects. Engineers. Designers etc.... My husband has been building in this area for 20 years. I'm his new wife and now I help design how homes. I discovered this app lately and I LOVE it. Everyone on here really helps me. Since I am not a licensed designer. My husband is a licensed builder.
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We have to review all the plans in detail. Even professionals make mistakes. So I review the plans. My husband reviews. I can't just turn a blind eye to the professionals. People here on this app give me better advice than my hired professionals.
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I missed saying "sometimes ". Or I would fire my architects. I have def seen some major mistakes with homes. That can be very costly.
  • Lori
    7 years ago

I would move the prep sink to one side of the island of the other, along the long width of the island. Even though I see you posted a pic with back to back sinks, still don't like this idea, even with big aisles. Just my opinion.

• PRO
    Karen Hockley CKD,CBD, CAPS
    7 years ago

I understand the concern of having sinks back to back. Depending on space it would be hard to have 2 people standing at each sink at the same time. Other than that, I think it is a lovely kitchen. It is certainly okay to have the refrigerator flanked by pantry's when there is an island across from it.

• PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I have slightly more than 5' between the island and the counter. So It should be okay.
  • Jan
    7 years ago
    If it were me I would prefer one really big sink. Never liked anything on the island because it's easier for entertaining and projects.
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @teesjaysawards. I have had customers who feel like that. I would say 25% of my customers don't want a sink at all in the island.
  • shiningautumn8
    7 years ago
    Iam confused are all the commentz from the wife Lisa and she is using the husbands account, or is he on here too posting?
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    I would hate this layout, your stove is a mile from the sink. Then there is no symmetry of the cabinets on the window, it would drive me nuts looking at it. Get a larger 3 bin sink and skip the second sink. Since the refrigerator is where everyone goes, I would either have a beverage center elsewhere or put the frig on the end. I also think the island is too large and you will grow weary of running around it. Consider having two instead of one that size.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 years ago

I don't know why you need another sink when you have a large kitchen, if anything I would make a wet bar area someplace and have a smaller sink there instead of the island. Also the later picture of the house you sold that sink appears to be much smaller in comparison to the sink on the kitchen layout.

The reason why I feel this way, is because I have a very large kitchen, maybe same size if not bigger (not sure what the dimensions are of this kitchen). I also have a large island with seating and that island is always the main hangout spot during parties, and if I had a sink there, it would kill the entire island.

With that said, during holiday season or when I have parties on the average we always have about 25-30 people and there is usually 2-3 cooks all the time and I have only one sink and it's never a sink "shortage" because all the food prep work done in timely fashion.

IMO if you have an island with seating and there is a large sink smack in the middle, it will divide the seating area, and probably not many people would like having their food on the counter at the same time when someone washing veggies and water is splashing all over the place... but to each it's own.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    I put my sink in a large island because I wanted the cook top on the wall going outside for venting and opposite the sink. I put the food and drinks in the dining room so people have never hung out in the kitchen over the sink. That's a bit bizarre but I'm told it does happen. Simple way to get people out of the kitchen is to place food and drink stations around the house. But I concur, unless you want to be bumping butts, the prep sink needs to be moved.
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The stove will obviously have a water spout installed. So the sink to stove distance I don't think is important. I hear you guys. That's def a debate. Some people like sinks in islands. Some people don't. There is a butlers pantry to the dining room with another sink and bar area. I personally love my sink in my island. I love being able to do things and wash and prepare while talking to my kids when they are eating. But I def hear you guys. My husband says in his years of building about 25% of his clients didn't want a sink. Yes it's huge. The last kitchen I put up is slightly smaller than this home. The 2 drawer fridge in the island helps a lot for kids to get to their drinks. The island sink is always a lot smaller than the main sink. But it's def a good debate.
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I love people hanging out in the kitchen. That's the heart of my home. I also love an open design. With 5 kids it's nice to be able to all hang around while we eat and watch tv. My teenage kids are always eating. They never stop. But the closed vs open concept people will always prefer their choice. I always love it all open.
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @shiningautumn8. My husband is not posting anything. He is busy building and wouldn't use this app. His wife. Lisa is posting. We are a team and that is his business name. He builds. I design. Sometimes with designers and sometimes by myself. Does that answer your question?
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Wow! Everyone certainly has their opinion! I've been designing custom kitchens for 16 years; I say well done to you! I really appreciate the thought you have put into it and applied wisdom getting help from a design pro. That is surely a way to avoid making costly mistakes and having long term regrets. If you have thoughtfully considered your lifestyle and what will work for your family and are happy with the layout and amenities, then roll with it. My only suggestion might be to add a beverage center of a sort; that would probably go well on the fridge wall. Best wishes on your new home! I hope you and your family have many happy healthy years there!

• User
    7 years ago

Eilon, it sounds like you are well informed and have included professionals in your buiding process. As to the sinks back to back, that is your preference and it's your house. As long as you have thought over it in depth, there is no reason that you can't have what works for you. It's good to hear the opinions of others because sometimes they will pick up on something you haven't thought of. If you have thought of it all, however, leave it and go with what works for you. My brother and wife renovated a kitchen at the same time as us. Theirs looks nothing like ours, lay out, style etc yet we hired the same designer.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

This is a spec home, folks.

ETA: Oops, sorry. Confused you with another poster, I think.

ETA, AGAIN: No, maybe not. So confusing!

• pennycollins
    7 years ago
    whatever you do keep 2 sinks, with more than 2 people in a kitchen you need 2 sinks, I know because I only have one and it seems someone is always blocking my using it at crucial times.
  • bichonbabe
    7 years ago

Way too busy. All those window grids and busy cabinets make the drawing look like a crossword puzzle. I would simplify the windows and cabinetry.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

IMO a 5’ walk in between the fridge and the sink is too big, this kitchen is huge and you will wear yourself out making dinner. I might be seeing this wrong but i would have the one sink as close to the fridge as possible for a prep sink.I have a large island with a sink on each side because my fridge is on one side of the island and my stove on the other my husband and i cook together most of the time , he does the prep i do the cooking . IMO kitchens should be designed for how you cook if this layout would work for your family it will work for someone elses. To be hones i would have put the drink fridge for the kids out of the work area like in that space by the pantries and fridge

• PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ignore all the grids. We don't have grids in the Windows like that nor a French door that they built in the plans. Our kitchens are always designed by Gem Kitchen builders. They may be on here. They are great. I love all the input and criticism. I do take advice and talk to my husband at the end of the day about these issues. There are very knowledgable people on here whether pro or non pro. Sometimes their delivery is off. But hey on open forums you have to know how to deal with everything in a very professional and mature matter. I never thought back to back sinks was a problem. But I mentioned it my husband and he explained why he does it for some homes. It just wouldn't make sense FOR US to do different. I did change these plans. It was built differently. I just tweaked it. The only other option would be to take the prep sink closer to the fridge. But then it would be back to back with the range. People are sitting on that side. So that wouldn't make sense. And @krismays. I'm probably going to move into this home. But as a builder we do have to build homes for profit. We have a beverage fridge. 2 drawers in the island and wine cooler. But thru to the dining room we have a large butlers pantry with more sinks and prep area.
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @patricia. Do you have another sink that's not in the island ? You have 2 island sinks ? As far as running around. I love to cook and hey I guess I can stand to lose some weight. So that's good for me :)
  • PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @patricia can I see a pic of your kitchen ? I hope you don't think I'm rude. I would like to see a pic of the sinks. Thanks.
  • PRO
    Lehman Design Studio
    7 years ago

I like the overall feel of the design. What is the length of the island? I have done and island up to 9' and it was getting pretty big. That one looks like 10' plus. Also, I would be concerned about your main refrigeration being cut off from the sink by the island. For spec, I would show off the wine fridge in the pantry wall and move a refrigeration drawer to the island for working foods. Basically, that island as a barrier to the refrigeration is not good. Also, if you move the beverage refrigeration out of the work triangle you are clearing up the cooks traffic area.

• PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @lehman. Good ideas. The island is 11'9". Gem cabinet builders designed it. Take out the wine cooler and put it as showcase ? In pantry? I already have 2 drawers on the one side for sodas and water.
  • shiningautumn8
    7 years ago
    I think your enthusiasm for learning the building and design business is great. Be careful holding yourself out as a deisgner of these 3-5 million homes, if you are just learning. The reason i asked about the profile is if he is an experienced builder selling $3-5 million homes, maybe you shouldn't use his profile to ask design questions. Rather use your own. What if someone thought well he is the pro why is he asking so mnay questions?? One other suggestion: Im not sure what a "new wife" is. There are some odd implications with that choice of words. You are his "wife", not his "new wife". Just a suggestion!
  • User
    7 years ago
    I just read your professional profile page and it reads like it a was written by a 5 year old. He builds homes for famous bankers, doctors.....
    Perhaps have your husband proof read this page, as it is his company and his professional image on the line.
    Unless you are a licensed professional, I don't think it is wise to be using his name under the guise of a professional designer.
  • User
    7 years ago
    Wow, that was fast. You changed your profile, no mention of your husband, but the link to his website is still there. If you are not a pro/ home builder this is misleading to say the least.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 years ago

I looked at the plan again, why is the dishwasher so far away from the sink, it should be right next to it...

If you use the island sink you have to reach over built-in oven and if you use countertop sink, it will be behind you on the far corner of the island and all the dishes from the sink will be dripping on the floor when you transfer transfer them from the sink to a DW.

• PRO
    Lisa Ephrat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @gn builders. Look again. There are 2 dishwashers on both sides of the sink in counter.
  • shiningautumn8
    7 years ago
    Now Im even more confused with the various name changes/alias. What is going on??
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    One thing i see right off. I would move microwave to below cab next to refrig. Going around island for morning coffee, tea, milk, cream or just while prepping could be tedious. Will look in more detail later.
  • User
    7 years ago
    If you are not a pro, I would remove your pro page. This, as I said earlier, does not bode well for you new husbands business.
  • Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
    7 years ago

I'm with bichonbabe, simplify. My reason is for ease of cleaning, but yes, it will be busy.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I think you have enough feedback!
  • Amyzing
    7 years ago

What's a "new wife?"

This is the best reading I've come across all day.

• User
    7 years ago
    He traded the old one in for a new one!
  • Amyzing
    7 years ago

In Scarsdale, no less.

• User
    7 years ago
    Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Don't want to be nasty.
    I think there may be a langauge gap here. The pro page is erased, but was written in an English as second language tone.
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

What's the aisle dimension between cooktop and island? I would put the prep sink across cooktop with min 48" aisle counter to counter.