Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren5935

Can you lay tile over an existing tile floor? Are there any before and after photos of bathroom reglaze jobs?

lauren5935
11 years ago
We have a 1936 Tudor with a pink bathroom in dire need of a remodel.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    its not recommended you need a sound surface for new tile to adhere to but ive seen it in people do it and it didnt last to long before it started shifting and cracking
  • PRO
    Cassas bros construction
    10 years ago
    I would strongly recommend against it.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    My tile guy said no when I wanted to do the same.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    10 years ago
    Good news: you can use cork tiles over top a ceramic tiled floor. You can either sink the tiles in cement OR mortar some cement backer board over the tiles and then glue the cork to the backer board. Other than that...you need to remove the tiles OR you have to reinforce the subfloor joists from below = because the structure probably isn't built to hold another few hundred pounds.
  • Christian Decor
    7 years ago
    I have the exact same challenge ahead.
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

Yes it can be done. Just make sure the existing floor & tile are sound and the tiler uses to right thinset for proper adhesion. The one thing to consider is that your new floor will likely be 1/2" higher than it is now. Will this create issues with adjoining floors or fixtures in the room. Also, your tiler may not be willing to warranty the job as the long term performance of the old floor will be unknown.

Graham

• motherofdog
    7 years ago
    I did it about 3 years ago and it was my first tile job. So I would say yes.
  • PRO
    Dutchess County Tile
    7 years ago

If your floor is sound you can tile over it

first scarify the existing tile the use a good latex thin set.

As far as the re glazing of the tub, there are many companies that do that. Make sure you choose a reputable company that offers a multi year warranty on their work . I'm not a big fan of re glazing

• PRO
    Innovative flooring design
    7 years ago

If its just a bathroom that you are redoing the tile in i would just remove the old tile and not give it a second thought. Its not like your having 1000 square feet removed so the mess should'nt be to bad if everything is prepped well before the demo takes place. and make sure your installer knows that you expect it to be prepped well to control the dust before the work is agreed upon. If this bathroom has a plywood substrate be sure that the installer knows to use the proper backer boards and seam tape to reinforce the substrate. Also i would recommend the use of a flex mortar for insallation. Use grout caulking around the entire outside perimeter of the tile flooring to avoid cracking later due to expansion. Especially in front of the tub and toe kick of cabinets. I hope your remodel goes as smooth as possible!

• karlene c
    7 years ago

I am in the same predicament as you. Plan on laying travertine on bathroom floor. The developer did s great job at installing the tile that it is taking a lot of time and energy remove. The tile store recommend a mapei product that you roll on then use thinset as normal.