Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myownlittleworld

Kitchen remodeling on a budget

myownlittleworld
7 years ago

I have a kitchen that needs to be updated before selling our house. the current kitchen is appx. 16yrs old, and was put in when my husband and I were young and on a newly-wed budget. The kitchen dimensions are appx. 9x9.5' with an L shape cabinet arrangement. The cabinets are pickled maple, no pressboard, and have a bullnose laminate countertop.

Upper cabinets are all glass (typical gridded french door look). Even though the cabinets are all wood, they were from a cabinet discounters supply, and some little aspects here and there are less than ideal. We had contractor problems when we were getting it put in, so we missed our window for returning the problem aspects, such as 2 of the glass doors have grid trim that doesn't match the rest (different routering style) and some other finish issues. The laminate is also starting to wear at the seam/corner joint. It isn't coming loose, but the joining looks to have made a ridge that is ever so slightly higher, and the color is wearing there.

So what I am thinking to do is paint the cabinets either white, or some other light color (gray maybe or a very light grayish green). I think I can take out the glass and remove the grids (cab's came in without the glass to begin with and it was installed at a glass shop). The glass itself is a slightly bubbly glass that very faintly hints at green.

I am stuck on what to do with the countertop. The less money spent the better, so the different DIY options I have considered are 1) use one of the paint treatments to make the countertop look like granite or other stone 2) make a butcher block countertop 3) tile the top with large tiles (maybe even 18" on the bias to get larger area with less grout), -maybe with a wood edge so that I don't have to deal with end tiles.

Does anyone want to offer suggestions based on their experience regarding choices for the countertop, or color/paint finish selections? I know which way I lean, but I am not selling it to myself, and this will be the first house I put on the market.

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• myownlittleworld
    Original Author
    7 years ago

...I should also mention that it has a porcelain sink that needs to be replaced. Due to budget constraints, I lean towards stainless, but that doesn't thrill me as a drop in (what I could realistically do). I have been haunting craigslist, and at the moment, there are a couple of silgranite options, though I don't know how long they will be around. They are also very dark in color, which seems to dictate darker in the countertop. Often, there are used porcelain sinks that look better than mine (too much use of cast iron cookware), and even a used porcelain or corian type sink would look better than the current one. So thoughts on practical stainless vs. whatever other budget option I can come up with?

• myownlittleworld
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, on the pictures once I clear boxes that are moving over to the new place.

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    If you haven't sold your property yet, I would STRONGLY advise you to talk to your Realtor about what improvements must be done to effectuate a quick sale. You talk about not wanting to spend money on the house, but frankly that may be a bad decision if your house sits on the market for six months. I spent time getting my previous home ready for sale and had to put in a new kitchen because I got transferred to a new job just after the old kitchen was taken out. I put in a middle of the road, nice kitchen, quartz countertops, butcher block in the Butler's pantry. I also painted and replaced carpet and staged the home. I signed the listing agreement on Sunday night, it went on the market Monday and I had a full offer on Tuesday night. I recouped THREE times what I spent on getting it ready by the increase in sales price. I am not suggesting that you put in a new kitchen, but I do think you need to evaluate what you are doing. For instance, the interest charges per month on a $2000 a month mortgage payment are about $1000 per month (depending on how long you have lived in the home). If it takes you six months to sell, you have spent another $6000 in interest charges alone, plus you will be lowering the cost of your house because it is not selling, likely in $10,000 increments. You can do a lot of fixing up for $20,000. No I am not a Realtor, I am a realist. In this part of the country we call that penny wise and pound foolish.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    And I enlisted the help of my decorator to neutralize the house. You an get remnant granite from the fabricator and put in an undercount sink. Again, it needs to be neutral and look nice & clean.
  • einportlandor
    7 years ago

Yes, please talk to your realtor before doing anything. In a hot market you might be advised to just clean and list; in other markets you might need to make improvements. I've done it both ways over the years and learned the hard way that each market is different. You hire a realtor for their expertise -- take advantage of it.

• PRO
    Klassen Remodeling & Design, Inc.
    7 years ago
    Totally agree w/other respondents-- get a professional realtor's opinion. Emphasis on professional. In our area, it usually doesn't pay to remodel for resale as you'll typically only get 70-80% return in the first year. (And we're professional remodelers. .
    ). If that's true in your area & you're trying to sell, it may be wise -- read "Money-wise" to let the next owners decide what they'd rather do.
  • calidesign
    7 years ago

You could even add a "kitchen allowance" credit to the buyers as part of the sales agreement, which gives buyers the option of making updates, putting that money toward a full Reno, or living with the kitchen and using that money for another purpose.

• Cheryl Smith
    7 years ago

personally I would't do anything with the kitchen accept fix things that are broken and paint or change hardware to update the look. any thing you do will most likely be changed. make allowance in the price rather than putting time and money into major work there. some people like white cabinets others hate them, others like dark stain its a crapshoot. spending thousands to get a few thousands more - is it worth your time and money to guess?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I dislike remodel for listing. Cheap fixes tend to make no difference whatsoever, perhaps a slightly faster sale......or not. Price the house with the accurate consideration of the state of the less than desirable kitchen. Let the next owner do as they wish. Scrub it and the house within an inch of its life, get rid of clutter, and move on. Everything sells at the right price. Yes, everything.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I agree with Jan and Wallner Builders, you better off selling as is so the new owners can choose their own style. If anything you can offer them some credit (half what you would spend on remodeling) when negotiating the sale price and that will boost your chance to close the deal.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    7 years ago

All good advice here in soliciting the advice of your realtor. This idea of updating for selling is a result of watching too many "flip" shows on HGTV. If you're going to put any money into the house, put it into something boring but necessary, like a new roof or HVAC systems, something that no one wants to spend money on, and has no decor effect.

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

Pictures are worth a thousand words.........Do you have any pictures?