Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judishines

Do I need to add a bathtub or can I add a lovely shower stall instead?

Judishines
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I own a mid-century modern home. I am renovating a powder-room and will add value to the home by making it into a full bath, as it is adjacent to a space that contains one or two bedrooms, depending on use. (I use the adjacent rooms as a large office.)

My question: Do I need to put a tub in the renovated bathroom to accommodate toddlers/small children of a future owner, since it would service their bedrooms? I would rather put in a spa-like shower instead of a hum-drum bathtub with shower. A shower stall would be more attractive, especially since the renovated bathroom will be adjacent to the kitchen and also serves as our guest powder-room.

I already have a large, deep soaker tub in a platform (see photos) to serve the master bedroom, which is on the same floor as the renovated bathroom will be. The soaker tub is not ideal for bathing children, as it is large, deep and not easy to climb out of. But it is a fully functioning bathtub. (This is not a starter home. A future buyer may or may not have small children.)

Should a house have a child-friendly bathtub for resale value, if it already contains a non-child-friendly soaker tub?

Thanks to all who respond!

Comments (10)

• Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    I love bath time for my 3 year old and so does he. He has all his bath toys in there in plays happily while I sit nearby in a chair flipping through my email. True, I could wash him in the sink and sometimes do but I wouldn't buy a home that had no tub for him. But if you think you're home would be purchased by empty nesters or people with teens you are all set.
  • PRO
    Granite Grannies
    11 years ago
    Unless you are trying to flip this home immediately, I would say no, you don't need more than one bath tub. Attractive always sells better than functional. If the rest of your home is as gorgeous as your bathroom, then you probably are going attract a higher budget home buyer who either will not have young children or will have the resources to add another tub if they really want one. I say do it the way you want, and your future buyer will be so excited to find a home that doesn't have unnecessary space taken up by a tub in each bathroom.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Adding a shower would be fine.
  • PRO
    Gemini Design/Build, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I agree with tsudhonimh. You may find more resale interest in an universal designed bathroom than a standard full bath. I have many clients who have large soaking tubs in their master, and the only use it gets is for their kids. I have a 17 month old who gets bathed in a portable tub inside that sits in our master shower when needed. My philosophy for clients is do what is best for you (within reason), as you never know what a potential future buyer may be looking for at the time.
  • Belle La Vue
    11 years ago
    I have a large soaking tub in my master bath as well, but am really trying to keep it an adult only zone. I think it really depends on the client. I like that my 3 year old has his own bath.
  • K B
    11 years ago
    As long as you have one tub in your home, I don't believe you need to put one in your new bathroom. I ripped my master tub/shower combo out, put in a great shower and have no regrets. Speculating a lot, but even if future buyers have small children, most are going to be content as long as some kind of tub is in the home. (From 0-24 mos. most babies can be bathed in baby tubs, kiddies pools and kitchen sinks. After age 2 a child should be able to sit up in a tub and a parent can always get in the tub with them or they can shower (all done closely supervised of course))...The point is there are plenty of options to a regular tub. Just a couple of other suggestions---if possible put in a zero threshold shower, to make it more accessible. Also, in my new home the powder room will also be a full bath. I have a pet peeve about seeing people's showers when I use a powder room (even if they're pretty). I plan to put a shower and sink on one side of a door, a toilet and sink on another side of a door, with a little open space between the two, all of which will be behind pocket doors. This way when I have overnight guests they can have their own bathroom area and when you have regular visitors they don't have to see the shower mess. If space limits you, using frosted glass is another way to keep everyone from seeing into the shower area. Otherwise, just make your shower very pretty and keep it clean.
  • PRO
    Purcell Quality, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I think you will be fine adding in the walk in shower, especially if the tub won't be used.
  • Judishines
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks to all of you, so much! This is an incredible site and resource.

The renovated bathroom will be very, very tiny, only 55" by 100". I have a separate, lovely bathroom with shower to serve guests who are staying overnight, so the renovated bathroom shower will not be used much at all, and can stay very pretty, but will exist as a full bath for resale in order to serve the bedrooms that currently have only the powder-room to use.

Your ideas are wonderful!! Best regards to each of you.
  • jayjaystone
    11 years ago
    This is crazy! Everyone should of said yes u do need a tub! Most people are practical not creative in thought like you are being. If your intent is to resale the home then tub it is. If the intent is just for your use and you don't care about the resale then no tub. Parents want convince with their kids. They aren't all going to say yes let's just have him bathe in our master tub. They would rather it be in the kids bathroom. Sincerely a MOM :)