0
jphel013

Need help making my open concept living room "cozy"!

jphel013
September 12, 2016

We just built our house and I'm struggling on the design. It isn't feeling "homey" or "cozy" at all to me. I was going for a more global/transitional style, but am having issues. I plan on getting a floor lamp and artwork for the back wall. I have gotten a lamp for the end table that is closest in the photo (not pictured). I also plan on getting an arm chair to put on the front left corner of the rug. However, I'm still scared that even with all that, it still won't have that "cozy" feeling. Any recommendations? Curtains maybe? Nixing the magenta throw pillows and adding more earth tones?

• bradley_amber
    One thing I notice is that you have a lot of repeating boxy shapes. Perhaps you could switch out the coffee table for a round Ottoman and make sure the chair you add has curves. Curtains will make a big difference. I like the suggestions above for plants and darker walls.
    Summer Thornton Design, Inc

Color of course can have a huge impact - try working in some pattern and some sultry colors - both add coziness to a space. Similarly you could consider a small separation between the dining & living spaces - a very large doorway (like an old victorian pocket-door passage) that creates a visual separation and makes the spaces cozier but doesn't actually close them off from one another. Good luck!

- Summer

www.summerthorntondesign.com

• jphel013

Bradley_amber yeah I have noticed I have a lot of square shapes going on, which does bother me. I'll definitely do a round side table next to the chair and maybe change out one of the end tables. I just bought the coffee table/trunk :P I'm just stuck on what walls to paint since it's all open concept and flows into the kitchen and dining area..

BeverlyFLADeziner

OK, I understand. Even just moving it out 6" may be enough.

Center the artwork between the downlights

Since your wall continues to the kitchen, maybe consider painting a color block on the wall to give you the color needed and then stop before it exits the room area.

Coffee table and end tables are fine. Just make sure you select a chair with a barrel back and round accent table. Also lamps should have round shades.

• acm

So skip the paint -- I think you have plenty of other good suggestions here. Looking at the examples, I think that centering the art will almost always look better than trying to fill the corner with a lamp, although it's possible that a plant could do the job... Your couch matches the wall so closely that I don't think it's important to honor its position with the art. Beverly's mock-ups are the best, with really substantial art.

• jphel013

For reference, here's the part of the house that is open concept...

• er612

View from other direction...

BeverlyFLADeziner

Do you want TV with all the ceiling lights on? I keep thinking something like the Architect's Boom light from RH, or something similar mounted in the corner could be a nice touch for late nights.

BeverlyFLADeziner

So maybe just adding the drapery panels to the area between the LR and the kitchen is enough color. Love the rug you selected and the other items.

jphel013 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • jphel013

Beverly, we really have never used the ceiling lights. I just turned them on for the photo since I had no other lighting. I have purchased a table lamp for the end table on the wall with the windows. It has a white drum shad and a mercury glass base. I can always move that to a different room though and do something different. I was planning on doing a floor lamp next to the table or behind the end table on the back wall. That was before the decision to move the sofa out though. If I move the sofa off the wall and center the art, I technically wont need a floor lamp to balance the wall. I could always put one in that corner though!

• er612

If you paint an accent wall, I would paint the far wall and add matching curtain panels to the windows.

BeverlyFLADeziner

jphel013 Mercury glass is nice, but maybe the room needs ceramic or metal. I try and include all types of materials in a room to give it texture and interest. See how the table lamp works in the room.

I see now that the Boom Lamp from RH is no longer available. Not a fan of the arc lights because they are so static. A boom light is like a giant mobile in the space which also adds interest. Everything is trial and error when it comes to finishing a room off. Don't fret,......just try things.

Even painting the back wall could be a good direction depending on the art selected. I also would add a tall plant with up lighting in the base of the plant.

I have this 6.5 ft. plant in my dining room and it's the best looking fake I found on the market. (I used to have a silk store, so I know a good plant, and hate silks, so that tells you how much I like this tree). You may have to boost in inside a planter to get the proper height.

I have a little cone light with a stake and cord that I hide in the base of the plant in the moss for some drama in the room.

https://www.amazon.com/Nearly-Natural-5403-Dracaena-6-5-Feet/dp/B00FUNGOX4

jphel013 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
    BRUNNA.co
    Agree, it feels too plain. I think adding a little bit of pattern would help. Probably try also adding small plants, standing lamp, and ottomans. The small side tables also look a bit stiff, change it to something smaller with more artistic shape. I also attach the painting and pillows that would look great for this room. www.brunna.co
    BRUNNA.co
    Agree it looks too plain. Also needs more lighs ? I think adding a standin lamp and small desk lamp can add a bit of dramatic effect to this room.

And I would add a painting that has textures and layers like the one I attach here, some pale yellow is also good to add more lights to the room. And add small poufs, and some patterned pillows ( its available on houzz ). www.brunna.co
    BRUNNA.co
    Sorry, needs more "lights"
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Helga, be a pro and don't use your phone. You're duplicating your comments.

BRUNNA.co
    Oh I'm so sorry, it says the previous message was not delivered so I retyped the whole thing.
  • loricarmichael76

where did you get the rug? I love it.

jphel013 thanked loricarmichael76
  • jphel013

loricarmichael76 ...RugsUSA has it and so does Overstock. Home Depot had it on their site for cheaper though. Plus if I didn't like it, I could have returned it to them without having to pay for return shipping. :) It's called "nuLOOM Traditional Vintage Fancy Blue Rug".

Closet Factory

Have you considered turning that blank wall into an accent wall courtesy of a custom unit like this? It allows you to display all sorts of home decor and family photos, which contribute to the room feeling more cozy without actually have to make any changes to the open layout. In fact, the wall unit below was designed to work around the client's two large pieces of art.

Your unit could even be built around the couch, so no need to pull it away from the wall.

jphel013 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • jphel013

Is this color too dark? I also have this large piece of art with a wood frame I have yet to find a home for in my house. Thoughts? I would pull the sofa off the wall and center it under the art.

• jphel013

Or a little more pop of color..

Poonam Choudhary Artist

for wall decor....Here's some suggestion for your wall you might like......to know more about my Art work and collections please visit my shop on Etsy website -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooviArtGallery?ref=pr_shop_more

• smm5525

Curtain panels, lamps, art and accessories is all you need. Don't paint an accent wall.

• karolinabryner

I'm also loving the idea of some wall decor. It could be either personal photos, or some artsy prints in a nice frame to break up all of the negative space on the walls. Not sure if you checked out this article, but it's got some tips/ideas!

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/19242127/list/a-dozen-creative-ideas-for-decorating-blank-walls

• Tatiana Lopez

The room needs a touch of you. Try adding a few photos. Maybe try a photo collage on the back wall- nothing too crazy, just a few pictures of you, your friends and family.

• shiningautumn8
    I much prefer no accent wall. Instead find a large colorful painting you love for that wall. I also think a really cool light fixture hanging from ceiling would improve this room. Also drapes, higher end throw pillows in sohpisticated fabrics, and a metallic/brass accent round coffee table. Remove rectangular baskets flanking tv condole. Add a potted tree on one side instead.
  • shiningautumn8
    ps I have that exact rug in my master bedroom. Its awesome :)
  • Kim C
    I actually really like the darkest color for an accent wall (not the navy blue one). I think your art looks good there but I would consider adding a couple more photos to give it a gallery wall effect. Plus add a plant because that always looks great :).
  • jphel013

I'm still up in the air whether I want to paint an accent wall on the back wall or not. I do like both of these colors. I have a piece of artwork with a wooden frame that I'm thinking of hanging on the back wall along with a few other pieces. I also haven't found a barrel back chair that I like, but did find this blue one that I'm fond of.

Thoughts?

Nandina Home & Design

Here are a few options you could explore. The photographs below are from our designs. Take note of the lamps, the chair, and the artwork respectively.

Classic Inspired · More Info

Woodside Model Home · More Info

Transitional Remodel · More Info

• Kim C
    I like the grey accent wall or no accent wall.
  • 467181pbj
    Hang artwork over sofa, not centered on the wall. It should relate to the furniture.
  • smm5525

Art is too small. No on accent wall. Love the chair!!

Shoa Gallery

Artwork should be lined up with furniture. Check out our work here: www.ShoaGallery.com. Many colors and sizes to choose from.

Some suggestions below based on your wall color options. A tall / large plant on the left side of the wall will balance things out for you.

Enjoy decorating!

• babophz

jphel013, I love the darker shade of the accent wall colours you posted yesterday. It makes the room so cozy! And it'll go perfectly with the wood of your art. :)

• Sasha Bradley

I think the room looks great. Love the rug. Sometimes less is more! I would probably pull the sofa out from the wall as others have suggested and then install an eclectic gallery wall with an interesting mix of artwork and your favorite personal photographs. That always seems to make a room more "homey." Another idea could be to have a central light fixture installed to bring the height of the room down a bit and add some visual interest...if you were up for the extra work.

• jphel013

Thanks everyone for all the input! I quickly threw some different options together based on the feedback that I have gotten. We put in a ceiling fan this weekend and it helped bring down the height of the room quite a bit. That made a big difference! ( I just photoshopped the one we purchased in). I also found a different chair that I think works better in the space since it has the barrel back. Which options do you like? I'm leaning towards either painting an accent wall and not doing curtains or curtains and no accent wall. I also included a photo of both. Thanks again!! :)

• izeve

Curtains and no accent wall gets my vote.

• Danielle Black
    Here's a few ideas cozy
  • auntthelma

I like the dark wall. I like the chair you chose, too. Love the art piece.

• carolyngarland
    It went away. Tables are too similar in color and shape. You already know you need art. Texture in pillows, wedding pillows at PB. Two matching swivel chairs facing back wall . Lamps .
  • erinsean

I am chiming in to say no accent wall and just some drapes and pillows to match. Also get one or two accent chairs for your room. I personally would not pull your couch forward.....with your TV being at the height it is, I believe you would have neck problems. Like everything you have done...just some art, some lamps and some drapes.

• babophz

Accent wall, no drapes would be my vote. This makes the room feel wider and therefore more balanced. Nice chair!

• sillycannoli
    Here is an idea for the accent wall - art wallpaper
  • Mimi Jensen
    I wish someone could help me on my room as they helped you. I don't understand how to add/delete things from my room?! I'm curious what did u do?
    jphel013 thanked Mimi Jensen
  • Cheryl Smith

love your rug and choices and I like the accent wall but I would like to see the sofa on the tv wall facing the window with the TV on the blank end wall. you would have a window view instead of your back to it and you would also be able to see the tv from the kitchen. the shorter L portion of the sectional would help define the living area and would help with feeling like everything is pushed into the corner. if you don't like looking at the back side of it add a sofa table or short shelving unit. then add a large print above the sectional. just a different thought on placement.

• jphel013

Mimi, I used Photoshop to add/delete things from the room. I'm not sure if there's another program you can do that in.