Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ray_frisbee

TINY 1/2 bath to a 3/4 bath. Visual mock up with cardboard!!! Help?

Ray Frisbee
7 years ago

So, I gutted the 1/2 bath downstairs due to a leaky toilet rotting the floor. A leaky toilet turned to a full remodel somehow (always happens that way huh?)

So in the process I started thinking. Maybe I can redo this bathroom into a 3/4 deal and add some use (and possibly airBnB the other portion of the house and master). The extra income surely would help. :)

I'm very limited on space. But here is the layout, and some items I wanted to use. It's an A-frame up in the woods over Chattanooga, so I'm wanting to keep the theme.

I'm looking for any issues I might have with code, if it will look way too funky, and if it's all around a good or bad idea? Thanks so much guys and gals.

This first picture is an idea of following items installed. Plumbing would have to be added/moved but I have a good plumber friend for that. Also I was figuring just make a custom tile shower with sliding glass door?

Toilet-- http://www.totousa.com/aquia®-one-piece-toilet-16-gpf-09-gpf-elongated-bowl

Sink/vanity-- http://www.fairmontdesigns.com/bath/shaker-americana-26-corner-vanity-habana-cherry/

Okay, lastly. Some mock ups with priority mail boxes, tape, and wrapping paper. hmmmmmm

Comments (24)

• Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, wanted to add the toilet width and depth are correctly represented (16x28) as well as the width of the vanity (19" on each wall with a 26" diagonal length) but height of both are incorrect. I just kinda threw them in somewhere as I don't think height will matter much.

• User
    7 years ago

The smallest usable shower that will pass inspection is 32"x32. The toilet needs 30" clear of obstructions with it in the center. That leaves 21" left, if you are measuring the interior accurately and accounting for drywall. The problem comes in with your corner lav requiring a minimum 21" clear space in front of it, and 15" from the center of the drain to any side wall obstruction.

• oliviag55
    7 years ago

What is behind the north wall? Is it perhaps a closet where you could steal 8 to twelve inches? Even just for the toilet space?

If so, move the toilet back to roughly the original spot, with extra room for code jutted into the adjoining room or closet. The toilet would need to set east/west, as in facing the door. Adjoining shower, in the southeast corner. Lav where you can fit it, or where it is now in your drawing.

6 x 8, or very close to it, is pretty much a necessity for a three piece bath to meet code.

• Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Behind the north facing wall there is my tiny kitchen :p

Hmmm... Looks like I am at a bit of a dilemma. I would love to pull this off. What if I installed a recessed toilet like they have at Toto? Would that buy me any room? My budget is expendable, but unfortunately I can't create any more space.
  • oliviag55
    7 years ago

Could you do a sketch of the floorplan, with dimensions, including the "tiny" kitchen on the north wall?

It's possible that you could steal room from a largely unused corner cabinet in the kitchen, and get the bath you want.

If you can't, well, maybe you would be better off giving a little room from this oversized powder room to laundry, kitchen, or storage.

• Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yeah, time for me to start thinking outside the box. Just how far off am I size wise?
  • Olga Kramar
    7 years ago
    Bathrooms all over Europe are often smaller than this, some more functional than others. Look for a pre-fab corner shower and toilets hung from the wall with the tanks inside the wall. All you see is the toilet bowl, and the flusher is on the wall. The shower doors are rounded and slide around to the edges on both sides of the entry opening so they require zero swing clearance. The showers are smaller than what you've laid out. But you won't be able to go to your local big box store to get these things. If you're talking air bnb rental you could quickly recoup those costs, I'd think. BTW love the cardboard mock ups. We'd have fewer design dilemma posts if more folks did that before committing.
  • Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So just saying if.... If there was someone with this layout wanting to attempt a 3/4 bath what's the best they could do to get close to code?
  • Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Okay, so.... Is it crazy to think maybe I could put the vanity in the adjacent closet? I never use thing thing. Or would that look far too weird?
  • Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Little better lighting
  • Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I would tend to agree with you but that would never work in this case. I've happened upon threads here on

Houzz.com where people were supportive of the idea when previous posters suggested it :/

It doesn't seem to be grossly out of code. Perhaps I'll just carry on with the remodel anyhow.

Thanks guys.
  • Miranda Harris
    7 years ago
    Why not make it a wet room instead of a dedicated shower?
  • Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I've looked at the wet room idea but I'm worried about that coming off as a deterrent to a buyer in the future.

I was looking at small bathroom designs though and saw this. It can't possibly be more than an inch bigger than mine?
  • flopsycat1
    7 years ago

Ok, these are a little weird, but would save a lot of space.

• Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hahah, that is a little odd. But... At this point perhaps I'm desperate.
  • Miranda Harris
    7 years ago
    I wouldn't worry about resale later on. the fact would be that you would have an extra shower for guests and I believe it could still be called a 3/4 bath.
  • Miranda Harris
    7 years ago
    Check out this photo from houzz - http://houzz.com/sr/m=7/u=L3Bob3Rvcy8zNjgzNzI0MQ==
  • Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you, that's a nice looking wet room actually! Thank you for sharing that with me
  • Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Is this considered a wet room or does the glass 1/2 wall cancel that term out?
  • Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'd love any more input I could get.

• Miranda Harris
    7 years ago

Yes. I do like the half glass. However, being the one who cleans the shower here I would be concerned with wiping down the outside of the glass by the toilet. I was looking at ones that wouldn't impose on the limited space since I was thinking that the shower wouldn't be used on a regular basis. Houzz has a bunch of nice wet room ideas. Here are some interesting alternatives I found that aren't simply open rooms that don't contain the water. I like the first one with the pullout shower doors. Bet that's a pretty penny :)

Ealing Projects · More Info

Full bath from half bath wet room · More Info

Greenwich Project part2 · More Info

• Ray Frisbee
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Those are some good ideas Miranda, thank you. I'll be pondering on those.

I just had a plumbing company come by today and they said a 3/4th bath is a go and they would be happy to plumb it. I have to wait till Monday for the estimate but I'm excited that they said it was a go!

• Michael Paparella
    7 years ago

Hi Ray. Any update on this? I'm looking at a similar situation. What did you end up doing? Any pictures? Thanks!