Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_eubank9025

Awkward and ugly

Jennifer Eubank
7 years ago

I am buying my first house and while I love the interior, the exterior is horrible. I've already decided to convert the garage back into a garage. Because let's face it, who really needs a double garage sized craft room. However the rest of the exterior is a nightmare. It has yellow brick and to continue to awfulness yellow trim. The entryway is awkward and feels very tight. Obviously the yard needs some work too. Any ideas on making this look like a welcoming home?

Comments (26)

• chiflipper
    7 years ago

After restoring the double garage (walk door & window removal), pull all the bushes in front and have the brick powerwashed. The tree needs a pro trimming. Have the double post enclosed to make it appear as a single. You can select any shade of brown to go with the roof OR ignore the roof and go with navy or grey for the trim. In future, when you have saved up, tear out the walkway and replace it with something wider that is not so close to the house.

Your home appears to be a solidly built structure and will look very attractive when you are finished. It just takes time and money. Congrats!

Jennifer Eubank thanked chiflipper
  • Bailey R
    7 years ago

Obviously paint. Remove all landscaping , do a large planter area next to porch ( to left of door as you exit front door), replace the flimsy looking support posts on porch with one substantial one, espalier or trellis of some kind on fireplace brick, for starters...

Jennifer Eubank thanked Bailey R
  • Bailey R
    7 years ago

Btw, I think house has nice lines, diamond in the rough :)

Jennifer Eubank thanked Bailey R
  • smit2380
    7 years ago

Honestly, I think the brick will look a lot better when you paint the siding, etc.

Jennifer Eubank thanked smit2380
  • emmarene9
    7 years ago

I think it is a lovely home. Power wash the brick. Paint over the yellow. Accent on the door. Create interest on the right side. Groundcover only planted next to the house between garage and front door. Change post to something straight. When it is time to re roof choose a weathered wood type color.

Sorry about the drawing, I drew it in haste. I hope it gives a rough idea.

Jennifer Eubank thanked emmarene9
  • PRO
    Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
    7 years ago

Good comments above. The brick will likely improve with cleaning. Rather than painting the brick, which is a big commitment and not easy to reverse, use some contrast to enhance the very monochromatic appearance.

The front door is also very understated. Highlighting the entry and reinforcing its presence will improve the home's identity and clarify the point of access. A gable detail, centered on the entry and some garden beds would be helpful in accomplishing this.

Jennifer Eubank thanked Mark Eric Benner - Architects, Ltd.
  • Frankie
    7 years ago

I agree with most of the above. Here are my thoughts. First I agree, a garage is far more useful. When you do that make sure the door has an artisan quality that adds to the look of the house. The brick is called blond in the trade. If you clean it the yellow appearance will diminished. For the trim try to stay away from the modern colors . This isn't a modern home , they'll look out of place. Something earthy and rich would look good. The roof is actually the right color for the era of the home. I would say a sage green or soft blue. If you have brave color tastes teal is a good color for that period. A strong contrast for the door is a definite. You have a lovely home there it just needs some care. It was forgotten and neglected for a while. Good luck and congratulations on your new home.

Jennifer Eubank thanked Frankie
  • leelee
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would paint that brick and never look back. It's one of the few kinds/colors of brick that never really looks right. You could use white or gray to give your new home a completely different look. Then paint the front door a more interesting color.

Jennifer Eubank thanked leelee
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

I don't mind the brick. The paint and roof colour are in a state of disconnect with the brick. Have a look at the roof. See when it needs to be replaced (it might need it in 5 years or in 15 years - hard to tell from the photos).

If it needs to be reroofed sooner rather than later (in 5 years rather than 25 years) then I say paint the trim with a ROOF COLOUR in mind. Slate blue or slate grey looks very handsome with this colour of brick. You can then choose the trim colour based on your PLANNED FOR roof colour.

If the roof is a long way off, then go ahead and pick a trim colour that will work with the red roof and yellow brick. See how you feel at that time. If you still aren't happy, you can always go ahead and have the brick painted.

Jennifer Eubank thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

Jennifer, I think it has the potential to be a stunner!! (that said, what's your budget???!!) Great buy. since it's a mid century, I would keep it in that venue.

paint, landscaping, and some added wood elements, will make this a cool pad!

Judy, that house is gorgeous!

Jennifer Eubank thanked Beth H. :
  • partim
    7 years ago

Your house is not awkward or ugly. The overall shape and proportion is attractive. It's just badly decorated by someone who didn't see its attractiveness. I have always liked blonde brick - it looks right with that modern style and age of house. It was a builder upgrade in that era, over red brick. Don't know what your budget is but adding a gable to change the style is a fairly significant cost, and then your modern look is gone. It's also less expensive to enhance the existing style, so unless you really dislike a modern look I'd think twice.

I search houzz for "blonde brick" and came up with some inspiration colors for you.

I especially like the acid green as the accent color with the blonde brick, but the turquoise is good too.

Olsen Residence · More Info

Mid-Century Modern in White Rock · More Info

I love your wide chimney - a classic Mid Century Modern (MCM) look.

Midcentury Exterior · More Info
    For your neutral paint color ( garage, end gable etc.) could you use the
    color of your grout? Look at the the next picture, from what I can see your
    grout may be that kind of gray color. I think that would look
    good. And then a door color that stands out.
    Estelle Road · More Info

Jennifer Eubank thanked partim
  • partim
    7 years ago

As far as landscaping, grasses are the classic MCM look. Take out the evergreens between the walkway and the house, and plant grasses on both sides of the walkway, and in front of the chimney. As you can see from this picture, there is a lot of variety available. Wherever you live, you'll find something suitable for your climate.

Don't do curvy beds. Modern home have squared off shapes for the beds.

Hard to see from the picture how wide your walkway is, but when you cut back the evergreens you may find it is wide enough.

concrete stepping pads, Ipe' deck, water feature, grasses · More Info

Replace your turned spindle porch uprights with a more modern shape too.

Can you tell I like your house?

Jennifer Eubank thanked partim
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    If you bought this home, and the "craft room/renovated garages" we're part of the square footage of your home, if you eliminate you will devalue your purchase. Your mortgage and homeowners insurance is tied to price and sq ft under roof. I would be careful on that. Just a caution. The porch and yard suggestions are good here. It is hard to figure out which is front door, so emphasize "front" door. I don't know what condition the inside of craft room is, but might consider making that "main" entrance. If you convert that, then make a wide, inviting walkway to front porch so it is obvious which door is main entry.
    Good luck on your new home. Have lots of fun with it.
    Jennifer Eubank thanked Flo Mangan
  • Jennifer Eubank
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't have a budget in mind just yet. Honestly I couldn't get a clear vision on what it needed to improve the look. Although I'm not a fan of the blonde brick, the idea of the labor and maintenance keeping the paint looking good makes me very hesitant. I agree that painting the trim, fixing the landscape and replacing the door will go a long way.

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    7 years ago

The house looks good and solid.. but very dated. I would tear out the bushes and paint the trim... and maybe the brick... get it all stripped down and see what you have.

• anthip
    7 years ago

I love the blonde brick far more than the dark red brown. With lots of wild looking grasses and some new paint trim, the two posts boxed in and a bright door it'll be stunning.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    7 years ago

Jennifer, if you are afraid of paint, research this product from B.M.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/product-catalog?prod=Ultra_Spec_Exterior_Acrylic_Solid_Color_Stain#piSheen=450&tab=2

I was looking through houzz for pictures and products used for exterior paint. Came across this. Great for brick, stucco, clapboard, etc.

See last picture:

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/take-it-outside-how-to-use-white-on-your-homes-exterior-stsetivw-vs~72465056

• partim
    7 years ago

I guess it's a matter of different tastes. One person's "dated" is another person's "classic mid-century modern".

• Frankie
    7 years ago

I couldn't agree more @partim.

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

Ditto.

• PRO
    ODL, Inc
    7 years ago

Hey Jennifer! It can be difficult deciding where to
    begin when redesigning the exterior of your home. Why not start with an updated
    front door? Incorporating Decorative Doorglass is a great way to add style and
    open up your entryway. We think a design from our Old World
    collection would be a great fit for your house. Head on over to our Houzz page see more
    of our offerings and let us know how we can help!

• partim
    7 years ago

An "old world" look front door would be completely inappropriate for this house.

• chiflipper
    7 years ago

Jennifer, your home is going to be the best on the block IF you stick to Mid Century Modern design. Please don't try to make it look like something else or you will wind up with a mess.

• smileythecat
    7 years ago

Great suggestions, I love the idea of taking back your garage, but as flo magan brought up usually your home is listed as finished square ft, would converting that space actually devalue your home? Just thinking.

• joelegnater
    7 years ago

I think the house is great! I really like the blond brick...it looks good with any great and makes it more modern...the roof could use an update but that will wait...can you do all glass panels on your garage doors? The posts leading to the front door should be boxed and made more linear rather than traditional...rip out the landscaping and make use of some great mcm planters to vary the height but keep the landscaping low (Junipers around color filled linear boxes). I think you really have a winner there!!!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio