0

Planting Wild Sage next to Garden Sage?

secant
September 17, 2016
last modified: September 17, 2016

We planted a sage plant bought from a garden center and the following year planted wild sage next to it found in the area. They were watered every day but now the roots of the garden sage are completely dried up and dead. Both were planted in a garden with plants not too far away. Is there any risk of planting them next to each other? Thank you.

• Jean

I suspect the biggest risk is daily water.

secant thanked Jean
  • rich_dufresne

First, where are you, and what is your climate and soil type?

This leads to: what is the Latin binomial name for this wild sage? It may not be a Salvia, but an Artemisia or a Leucophyllum. These have different water needs. Some of them put out allelopathic chemicals that work as growth retardants.

secant thanked rich_dufresne
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Many garden sages don't like daily water. I grow S. officionales 'biergarten' and it is hardly ever irrigated in Central Texas and it is very happy. Rotted roots often look like dried up roots. some garden Salvias often like a leaner soil. Mexican salvias like a richer soil.

secant thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • salvia86

I don't know S. officinalis `Biergarten". Do you mean `Berggarten', `Mountain Garden' in English?

• secant

We are in NJ but so far there has been little rainfall this summer so we need to water almost every day. Maybe that is the issue. The wild sage smells like sage but I'll have to post a photo to make sure.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Berggarten, I guess. I am an atrocious speller and too lazy to look everything up. Sorry. My garden sage lived through 7" of rain in a 12 month period without rain in 2011. Last year it went from Memorial day to Halloween without 1 drop and a passel of 100F days in Central Texas. This time They went 2.5 months between rainstorms with temps in the upper 90's and 100. True they are not in clay and their roots have grown deep in their search for water. They are very happy.

secant thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • secant

The wild sage here seems to be Salvia and has the small purple flowers like them. The daily water seems to be the culprit, though I don't know why the roots would be dried up if that were the case.

• secant

Yes, looking at some photos, you are probably right. Thank you so much! It may be that the catmint was too aggressive in terms of its water intake, being related to mint, or that it sent out allelopathic chemicals. But then again, salvia and catmint are from the same plant family and tribe, so maybe it was just more hardy to daily watering....

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16900434

• aliciacammel

Anyone on here have white and desert sage, if so I'm very interested in a few seeds. In conclusion, anyone knows how to post on this new site??? If so,please let me know. I'm having a hard time posting. Ty!!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I do not have seed for these salvias. It is best to start your own thread. Start posting where it says " start your discussion" at the top of the page under the Salvia forum. then ptedd next and follow direction. It is confusing when you get to post more tan one forum for cross posting. They have made it more complicated. This forum is dead as a doornail so I would cross post it on "perennials" also.