0

EXTERIOR PORCH

Debra Seep
September 18, 2016

I PURCHASED A 1930 FOURSQUARE. THE FRONT PORCH IS GONE. I PLAN TO WORK ON THE OUTSIDE NEXT SUMMER BUT I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY COMING UP WITH A PLAN FOR THE FRONT PORCH. I WAS THINKING ABOUT A WRAP AROUND PORCH BUT IT WOULD HAVE TO WRAP AROUND THE LEFT SIDE OF THE HOUSE AND THE DOOR IS TO THE FAR RIGHT. I NEED TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THE PORCH NOT LOOK REALLY OFF. IT HAS SINGLE WINDOWS ON THE SECOND STORY. SHOULD I PUT IN A DOUBLE OR TRIPLE WINDOW IN THE DORMER? I'M ALSO GOING TO ADD A DECK OR PORCH ON THE SIDE. ANY SUGGESTIONS? CHANGING THE WINDOWS IS NOT AN OPTION. ALSO OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS ON SIDING COLORS. WE ARE DOING A FOUNDATION UNDER THE TWO STORY PORCH AND REDOING THE DORMER THIS FALL. IT WILL MAKE A PERFECT POWDER ROOM AND MUDROOM.

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek

The purpose of a porch is to shade from the hot sun and protect from the rain and snow. What's your climate there?

In sustainable design, heat protection involves shelter mainly on the South and West sides. On the west it needs to be wider. In a climate with mild Summers this is not such a necessity.

• Debra Seep

THE PORCH FACES THE NORTH. THE WINTERS IN WISCONSIN ARE HARSH.

• Debra Seep

THANK YOU

• Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek

Debra, why are you typing in capitals? On the internet that denotes shouting.

From which direction do most of your harsh winds come? Have you considered a semi or fully enclosed porch?

Debra Seep thanked Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek
  • torreykm

Maybe look at some examples from the era....

1930's foursquare house

Debra Seep thanked torreykm
  • emmarene9
    I would copy this house. This looks like the least expensive way to add a porch.

Debra Seep thanked emmarene9
  • Debra Seep

I have considered a semi closed porch but don't like the curb appeal. I am planning an enclosed porch on the back encorporated into a deck off the side.