Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skrpan

Updating my 19 year old home, need fresh modern ideas

skrpan
7 years ago
Hello,
I am needing some fresh modern ideas to update my home. Live in Arizona, so not sure of the type of flooring to use. Currently it's a travertine look tile. I have found that it throws a lot of yellow ( and I like the modern color Gray). My husband doesn't want everything gray he says.
So I would like to have flooring ideas.

I am locked in to the St. Cecelia granite in the kitchen, but we are contemplating new refacing of cabinets in a light cream color. Would you recommend refacing the island in a contrasting color or refacing them the same as the rest of the cabinetry?

I am interested in doing something in my Master Bedroom on a wall for entertainment, also it seems that I could liven the room up a little as the ceiling is 12' and looks a little anemic.

Lastly, my living room has a long fireplace/tv wall. Any ideas to warm this up with wood or stone? I like to warm it up a little.

I will add photos of the various rooms.
Any ideas would be most welcoming.
Thanks!

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Everyone wants gray! lol. Your family room area is beautiful!

I like the idea of the cream for your cabinets. What ever that thing is behind your stove, it has run it's course and needs to come out. Perhaps a cream color subway tile done in a herringbone and framed w/same color border tile? I would think about doing a nice butcher block on the island. If that granite on the island is staying, think about doing the island base in a darker, complimentary color. Update the hardware.

The granite you have is warm and leans toward golds/yellows. Not very compatable w/cool gray tones. could you find a warmer greige that would go w/what you have?

The flooring isn't bad. I'm sure in AZ it's nice and cool in the summer. That's a lot of sq footage to redo. I'm not big on the standard layout you have, but it's livable. You could switch it out for actual travertine, in a Versaille pattern, or get a wood look tile in the reclaimed french oak look,,,,or do an actual french oak flooring along these lines,,,

Perhaps do the cooler gray in your bedroom area?

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Maybe this paint [or more like your vases] somewhere, maybe on tv/fp wall?

Bowling Alley Table mixes with modern chandelier · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Photos showing grey rug, grey chair, mixed with warm colors: gold, lemongrass.

Dining Room · More Info

Living Room · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Living Room · More Info

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

Usually travertine has gray in it maybe check and see if that is the case if so use that gray for the paint IMO you are going to have some problems with wall color once you get to the kitchen cream cabinets, your granite really no good with gray

• Neo Nelle
    7 years ago
    Check out the "Cecelia granite" photos on houzz... Might give you some inspirations :) You have a beautiful home! Very calming.
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

Lime another color that goes with beige and grey. I see lots on houzz. You mentioned modern ideas.

• Christy Reves
    7 years ago

Oops, I am now seeing your other pictures. I realize you want to warm up your living room. I love it. It is very chic. Didn't realize that the floor tile in your kitchen was travertine. Picture looks rosy like a ceramic. Scratch my earlier post of replacing floor. You have massive square footage there. In the living room I would consider a longer loop or shag rug and wrap the bulkhead to the right of the fireplace in wood to look like a big beam. I would probably refinish the kitchen cabinets in an ebony or dark chocolate brown with long simple stainless hardware. St. Cecilia granite has a port wine color spot in it? I think do the island in that color, a soft cream or mushroom (something you like but contrast cabinets). To house your television I would consider purchasing a statement piece like large armoire or wardrobe. Your ceilings are tall enough and accommodate it well. You might consider installing crown molding or paint the ceiling. Your color palette is so neutral ceiling color could be anything...grey, lavender, blush, even navy. Have fun.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Too many to consider!

Paddington Area Rug, Rectangle, Teal, 8'x11' · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Crazy different 8 x 11:

Dolce Messina Rug 4079/7475 - 8'1" x 11'2" · More Info

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Do you have fp tile available? thinking you could "warm up" with more of it.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

I don't think I could live with your granite. I'd think it would be cheaper to replace it and your backsplash than reface your perfectly good, beautiful cabinets that are perfectly appropriate for your home. Then I would save my pennies for new floor throughout, either wood or wood look tiles.

Your living room is beautiful!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Actually gray and yellow look beautiful together...gray walls would be beautiful with your flooring...I would do all the cabinetry doors the same including island...it will be cohesive with the rest of your beautiful home...you have done a gorgeous job...I really like the monochromatic look you have now...in my opinion is to......not add any colors other than what you have...keep layering them in different shades throughout your spaces.

• Anne Johnston
    7 years ago

I believe that before you do anything major to the kitchen, you might want to look into some simple ways of warming up your space. Your wood cabinets and lovely granite already add quite a bit of warmth to the space. However, , you could some kind of interesting lighting over the island and perhaps a runner (maybe taking the blue from your living room?) In the living room, you could change out your three art pieces for another artwork that would have a bit more color (perhaps once again, incorporating the blue from your vases?). In the bedroom, you could consider adding a stationery panel to each side of your windows (perhaps something with a bit of blue in it?) A plant on the glass table below the window might also add a bit more warmth. IMHO, your house is very beautiful.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    7 years ago
    I don't see yellow in your floor at all.
    It looks beige to me which you go use with grayish taupe colors with no problem. I think what's making it look yellow is the wall color in your living room, definitely yellows. Your home is beautiful!!!
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    7 years ago
    You could warm your bedroom up a lot by adding draperies in a pretty color, either in silks or something very light and airry like a raw linen. Some
    More color in there would help too. Maybe a soft Aqua or light salmon or both. The draperies could be put up as far out of the Windows as possible allowing the light to still enter the room.
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    7 years ago
    One thing that would add slot to your kitchen is to take the backsplash down in between cabinets and put up a glass tile of some kind
  • everdebz
    7 years ago

As to which accenting color inside, is there any guide/ direction from your exterior's color, etc... other rooms too?

• tombly
    7 years ago
    changing up the many shades of brown will update it. bright whites and neutral naturals for the finishes will modernize and update the space in a timeless way. new counters maybe marble or soapstone will help. painting the cupboards white or staining them dark will modernize your kitchen. mostly white walls, maybe some light linen like colors or a bit of gray here or there. some vibrant colors for accent pieces and furniture will also give the space a a bit more personality. good luck!
  • skrpan
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your ideas. The reason I would like to some how implement gray into my color pallet is I have a beautiful gray rug that will be placed into the living area along with other gray accessories they have a taupe gray undertone. Just not sure how the gray rug will look on this tile. There is no tan in the rug. I am hoping to find a floor that would tie everything together including my granite counter tops. Perhaps a limestone or travertine that is subtle and not to warm (yellow) If anyone knows of a name, color in the beige or taupe color range, please share!!
  • acm
    7 years ago

love the living room -- I think I'd "warm it up" with your rug and furniture -- I wouldn't mess with what's there, as it's elegant and plenty neutral. if your rug is too cool, use it someplace else!

BR: should be easy to do a large entertainment center on the wall where the previous people (?) had their TV. you could do a built-in, or just cobble together a mix of shelving and display space using freestanding cabinets like what Ikea offers.

kitchen: I'd start by doing the periphery and consider just staining the island a darker wood tone. otherwise, a warm gray could be nice there, as long as it's a tone taken from the stone.

• Olga Kramar
    7 years ago
    Your home is stunning as is. I wouldn't touch a thing, seriously. And grey is already on the down trend. Some say beige and warmer colors are coming next. Take all the money and remodeling stress saved and go on some luxury trips with your hubby.
  • apple_pie_order
    7 years ago

Beautiful spaces. Try unrolling the new gray rug between the dining table and the sofas. Turn on all the lights and take more photos. If you want to change the floor tile, be prepared to change the paint and other finishes, too. It would really need to have a first rate designer involved to make it as beautiful as it is now.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    7 years ago
    Classic ivory travertine honed and filled would be beautiful and timeless but very expensive
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    7 years ago
    Another photo
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    7 years ago
    I sure hope you don't use too much gray. It is depressing to me and your home seems to light and cheerful
  • er612
    7 years ago

Have you tried the grey rug with the current finishes? Seems like it would work well with your neutral palette.

• everdebz
    7 years ago

Maybe a serene spa mix of cool green [like your glass top] and a blue in rug. What color are the small vases -- like that mixed in rug?