Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_roth63

Kitchen Sinks-1 vs 3?

Melissa R
7 years ago

I'm reading all over the boards about how everyone loves their one basin sink. I'm sitting here contemplating doing a three basin sink.

I usually hand wash dishes so I wanted one basin for washing, one for rinsing, and the third for dish draining. I hate hate hate having the dishes dry on the counter so found the ikea drainer for in sink and it works. Unless there is another option for drying dishes (yeah I know I should just wipe and put away right away but...life happens and it's just easier to drip dry) that I don't know about?

Why is one basin so awesome? Am I missing something?

Comments (39)

• smit2380
    7 years ago

I do not like one basin sinks.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

I like one basin for the size. Can fit larger platters, etc with ease. I've never had multiple so maybe it's just habit. I also have no problem with drying rack on counter, though, and I also use the dishwasher for most daily dishes. I do hand wash most pots/pans/knives etc. I don't think I'd be able to comfortably fit my drying rack into a small sink compartment so even with multiple I'd still be drying on counter.

• acm
    7 years ago

I like the big sink because (a) it means I can still prep, etc., even if there's a pan in there soaking or whatever, and (b) I put all my regular dishes in the dishwasher, so what I need to wash is large pans and sheets, which I can fit in my big sink without having to wash one end at a time (etc)! Really makes that much easier, whether you're setting them on the counter to dry or drying them by hand... (I also have a rack that I can set over one end of the sink to put a big pan to dry for a few minutes, and it barely impacts my use of the rest of the sink.)

• leelee
    7 years ago

I love the one basin sink. Big enough to rinse and hold dishes before putting them into the DW. Also, a sink as deep as your plumbing will allow is far better than shallow.

The main problem I see is that the sink you show will have to be a drop-in and not an undermount. That will make it hard to wipe water, crumbs, etc into the sink. Plus, sinks eventually get gunky around the edges.

Why not use the dishwasher?

• Melissa R
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

SMH at Sophie Wheeler lol.

I'm putting in a new dishwasher but will only use it 2 or 3 times a year. There are just two of us and by the time the dishwasher gets full enough to do a load I've usually run out of dishes. I can't imagine running a dishwasher for 2 plates and forks would be saving water. Pots, pans, and knives all get washed by hand anyway so I splurge for the extra water to wash those 2 plates and forks.

Leelee they do make under mount 3 basin sinks. I had an under mount at the last place and I thought it got MORE gross under the little overhang where the countertop meets the sink, than the drop in.

• User
    7 years ago

Then buy a DW with a half load feature. An yeah, it will still use less hot water and energy than hand washing two plates and the pots and pans needed to create the food for those two plates. Measure out two gallons of water and see if you can get your dishes clean and rinsed with that amount. You can't.

• Melissa R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sophie most pots and pans are not dishwasher safe, my stainless should not be put in the dishwasher. Good knives should not be put in a dishwasher.

Anyway, it wasn't a dishwasher vs sink discussion lol. Thanks for the input though.

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

Most use a dishwasher and that is why they love the one basin sink - because they hand wash large pots and cookie sheets but everything else goes in the dishwasher. They have a different need. You hand wash most of your dishes - so you have a different need - and want a different sink. To each his / her own.

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    7 years ago

There are some pots and pans, and other things that cannot be put in a dishwasher....

• User
    7 years ago

Most pans manufactured in the last 30 years are DW safe. All stainless pots and pans are perfectly DW safe. Read your pot and pan's manufacturer's website. My 93 year old mother has 50 year old Revereware that started out with an old Hobart manufactured KitchenAid DW model and is now going in the current Whirltag KitchenAid model, and there are no issues whatsoever. It ain't expensive or fancy, but it's DW safe. As is just about anything. Not DW safe is mostly a myth. If it stands the heat of the stove, it will stand the moist heat of a DW just fine. If it doesn't, why own it in the first place?

• bsgibbs
    7 years ago
    Air drying is more hygienic than towel drying.
    Knives, pots and pans should be washed by hand.

I had a 3 basin sink, 2 large basins and a small one between. Loved that sink. The small one was the perfect size for washing veggies. When washing dishes, it was large enough to completely submerge the cutlery, but I had to 'spin' the plates or rinse under running water. I miss that sink.
  • susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

Melissa if the 3 basin suits your needs, go for it. It wouldn't suit mine and I would be bothered if it is true that it cannot be undermount (as someone posted, I don't know if that is true) and by the difficulty in washing larger things like cookie sheets and large pans, but it is your kitchen. Unless resale is a concern, in which case you should check with local realtors to see what buyers in your area want.

Sophie is correct about a dishwasher being a water saver and about many things being dishwasher safe that didn't used to be, but in the end, your dishes, your choice.

• Melissa R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sophie I can tell you aren't a cook...and you are wrong, but again, thanks for your two cents.

bsgibbs, I've also been looking at the 3 sink with the smaller basin in the middle, I wasn't sure how that would work for rinsing so thank you! That puts more sinks back on my radar. I've just been looking for 3 equal sinks

7 years ago

We use a lot of cast iron, grinder with the grinding stone etc that cannot be put in a dishwasher, add other things like knives and such and I find a lot of things I have to either handwash or soak before I put in a dishwasher. One size solution does not fit all...I have a two basin sink and cannot work with a one basin sink

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I will throw my 2 cents in a triple sink is IMO useless what difference does it make if the dishes are sitting in the sink to dry or on a nice drainer to the side. A triple sink in a residence is so small you would be hard pressed to wash your small pots in it. there are 2 drawer DWs friends of ours have because there is only 2 of them and she loves it , maybe check out that option even if you get the triple sink.I f you go with a triple sink with proper sizes Blanco makes one you need a 54” cabinet to fit it and BTW it cost 5k ( so custom cabinet & $$$$$) I guess it is your money and your kitchen you did ask for advice

• ker9
    7 years ago
    There are just two of us also and by the end of dinner I have a full load to wash including breakfast dishes and any pots that will fit. Since I'm bad and rinse my dishes first I only use the express function. We cook so there are usually some things that won't fit and get hand washed. I prefer the one large basin same as others, so much easier to wash larger items.
  • Melissa R
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    my hubs is making our cabinets! I'm a lucky girl. the 3 basin I pictured has 3-16" basins.
  • User
    7 years ago

A 16" basin is tiny. Won't fit my crab pot or any baking sheet. It'll be especially useless and space wasting crammed against that wall like you have it in your ''design''.

You'd be wrong about me not being a cook. I keep a spice grinder and a whole freezer full of spices. I do Indian and Szechuan and Thai from scratch. As well as old Southern staples. My cast iron skillet that I inherited from my grandmother is the only thing that I personally own that doesn't go in the DW. I don't need the self imposed martyrdom of hand washing anything. Nor the tyranny of special needs dishes. That's why I have and recommend two DWs.

• susanalanandwrigley
    7 years ago

Agree that for me, a 16" basin would be pretty useless.

7 years ago

I do have the two drawer dishwasher and run one, or sometime two loads every day. But still have all the others that cannot be dishwashed...i dont consider them special needs, just different needs. It's not hard to wash a few pans and such...

• becplatts
    7 years ago

I am a hand washer. I am remodeling my kitchen and will install a black stone - top mount - deep double 60/40. It's what I want..... and no one will talk me out of it.... I use a drying cloth on the counter top ... If the triple sink servers YOUR needs I say go for it..... we all like what we like.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

I have 10 champagne glasses , a cast iron skillet and all the rest go in the DW why on earth in this day would you have a bunch of hand wash stuff

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

I have a one basic and it's deep and I love it. But we run our dishwasher 2-3 times per day here with 9 people living here, so yeah. Do what works for you and don't worry about what other folks are doing.

That said, you might really love a dish drawer DW.

• Heather Macdonald
    7 years ago
    I prefer the double sink, 2 equal sides, all my pots fit in and I like to be able to empty my teapot even when the other side is being used.
  • lcaron01
    7 years ago

I have a triple sink and LOVE IT. Middle sink is small for veggie prep and also has the garbage disposal. One on left is a little bit larger/deeper than the one on right so fits my large stock pots to soak. Make sure to get a faucet that can reach all your sinks. I always picture bathing babies in the farmhouse sinks. :)

• Lisa G
    7 years ago

I'm a big from-scratch cooker and wash a lot of pots, pans, and knives by hand every day but would hate not having a single basin sink. I like being able to lay a baking sheet or large frying pan with long handle completely flat in the sink. It drives me nuts using sinks where you have to hold and tilt those while scrubbing and rinsing them. It's also nice being able to actually soak a pan which you couldn't do with small multiple basins.

It would gross me out air drying dishes in one of the sink basins unless you fully sanitize it beforehand...sinks are generally dirtier than toilets. I also don't feel that dunking soapy dishes in a tub of water is actually considered rinsing them off fully so I wouldn't have a use for 3 small basins. You clearly want one for your needs so since you're the one doing dishes, get what you feel makes your life easier! We all have things that others may not find practical but we appreciate having.

• Allison
    7 years ago
    If you're going to be happy with it, go for it!
  • Alexis
    7 years ago

I'd prefer one over three, but I'd personally rather have 2 sinks, that's what I have now. It really comes down to personal preference.

• arkvillager
    7 years ago

I have had a three-basin sink and hated it. The middle basin was small and shallow and annoying--the water splashed back and it wasn't large enough to do anything more than peel a carrot. I replaced it with a double sink. When we remodeled a later kitchen,I analyzed how I used it and realized that the second sink was just used for storage so went for the single sink (which I've never regretted). When I need additional space for drying, I just pull out one of those foam dish drying mats.

However, I believe in using the dishwasher, even for small loads as it is more sanitary. The only cookware that should never go in a dishwasher is copper. Nonstick pans can go in if they are placed so the edges aren't jostled.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

Get a single basin with a drain board ledge. Or look at the Kohler Stages sink.

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    7 years ago

@ arvillager. I agree , it really does come down to personal preference. What ever feels comfortable to the person doing the cooking. I designed custom kitchens for 30 years before starting my own sink manufacturing company andfound no two clients a like.

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    7 years ago

My current customers love my sink design , and others are 'meah". To each their own. (:

• Melissa R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

RCKsinks, your sink is SOOO close to what I am looking for. I just need one other basin. My problem with two basins; when the main sink is filled with soapy water for washing, there is no place to rinse.

• Melissa R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

arkvillager that's why I'm looking at a 3 basin with 3-16" basins. I know everyone says they couldn't live with 16" but I'm currently using a 2 basin that are 14" and it's working just fine, except I have to drain on the counter.

• PRO
    RCKsinks Inc.
    7 years ago

@Melissa R . I understand. The two basin ( 80/20 mix) with the built in rack is sort of a "holy grail" with our design team. Wondering... can you help us out here- would you consider at a sink that needed a 42" cabinet if it had everything you wanted? Our current model fits a standard 36" base. Cabinet sizing is something we have always been concerned with.

• Melissa R
    Original Author
    7 years ago

RCKsinks-OMG YES!!! I can go up to a 44" sink base (my hubs is making our cabinets).

• Anne Duke
    7 years ago

I like my single sink, it's great for pots and pans. Yes, I know these things can often go in the DW, but they take up too much room. Rubbermaid makes a good size tub if I need it. And never put high quality knives in the DW.

For the OP, run your DW way more than 2-3 times a year. The rubber parts will dry out if you don't. You've been lucky if this hasn't happened to you already.

• PRO
    Havens | Luxury Metals
    7 years ago

Melissa, we wanted to let you know that Triple-Bowl sinks are one of the best choices for a person with specific drying techniques. Although most don't mind putting dishes on the counter, I am like you in the way that I can't stand it. We make sinks specifically to counter that issue. Whether the build is single, double or triple-basin, we have an add-on ledge option that can be applied to your sink. This ledge creates an area to place a grid drain which is perfect for a dish drying area right on top of your sink. While the ledge is a great feature, it's not for everyone and a good alternative is the in sink drainer that you mentioned. Attached is a photo of a sink we built for a customer with similar thoughts. Hope this helps!

Triple Bowl Stainless Steel Custom Sink · More Info

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations