Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapphire0905

what interior paint color should i use with colonial white granite?

Sapphire0905
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

i need help deciding a color choice of paint for colonial white granite. I was going to do worldy gray.. now I'm not so sure. please please - any help is appreciated!

Comments (49)

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Is this for a kitchen? What color are your other elements, cabinets and floor? I have Colonial White granite.

I'm not sure an opinion would be helpful without more info. But, I am attaching one of my favorite gray paint discussions in hopes it might help you sort this out. Take a look at Repose Gray. That's probably one I'D try, because greenish, purplish brown undertones are what I see in MY granite. YMMV.

Kylie M Interiors Gray Paint Post

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

i honestly am struggling on floor and cabinet stain and yes this granite is for a kitchen.

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Very pretty! Can you wait on the paint choice and then coordinate it with your cabs and floor choices or do you have to paint now?

The Amazing Grey looks pretty dark and may tie you down more than some of the other paints listed. Amazing also looks pretty warm, brown leaning to me, and I think Colonial leans cool, which is why I suggested a gray with greenish undertones rather than brown.

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have to pick a paint now(painter comes in next week).. I'm so confused (obviously ).. I wanted a lighter granite in this home.. and that's definitely what I chose.. now I'm kind of regretting the granite choice due to the cabinet choice and unknown paint and floor color (cabinets are knotty alder).. the cabinets are unfinished.. i still need to pick a stain ..I saw the cabinets yesterday and they aren't very knotty.. (which is a good thing).

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

it looks like this granite pulls pink and blues.. (I have a hard time with warm and cool tones).. so the granite could be pulling greenish-purplish tones? ( I just don't have the eye for this)..

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

and my mistake.. the color of paint is worldly gray.. not amazing gray.

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Worldly gray is the second from the left

• barncatz
    7 years ago

I get it, totally overwhelming. If it helps, I just did a kitchen refresh and picked Colonial White after ten years of a dark counter, so I get that, too. I'm glad I went light!

We have quartersawn oak cabinets with a med chestnut stain. The granite looks very rich with wood. It's pretty neutral, so I'd choose your paint color with your cabinets in mind, and the granite should look fine.

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Floor option 1 - catching fireflys

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Floor option 2 counting stars

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Oh, okay. I'd stay away from the two on the right, they look pretty blue and the far right one almost looks periwinkle. I think the Worldly Gray would be fine with wood and the Colonial. It looks like it might have a green undertone which would contrast with the wood but blend with Colonial's slight green undercast.

It does look a bit dark in your photo. What was your concern about it?

• barncatz
    7 years ago

I agree with Mark, the Gray Owl is more the saturation I'd pick i.e. lighter. Have you looked at Sherwin William's Useful Gray? ( I suppose that will be the blue one, lol). Really, it's so hard to tell with internet colors but I looked at other photos of the Worldly, and I think it would work.

I think either of your floor choices work with the Granite, tone wise. Lots of folks hate granite with movement combined with floors with movement or multi colors because they think it's kind of dizzying.

Sapphire0905 thanked barncatz
  • Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

barncatz, my concern about the worldly gray is -- is it tooo dark? my painter bid me two tone which means my ceiling would be worldly gray also.. unless I have him bid three tone? (or do you think ceilings would be ok same color as walls. I'm doing white shutters also). I'm worried about the floor coverings also but my husband loves them .., I do to but looks like it could be 'a lot going on' .. I probably should go with a brown complimenting the cabinets.. I have to pick Sherwin Williams paint colors.. gray owl would be comparable to ???

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I saw in a home show, natural cream from Benjamin moore.. loved it! I ordered sample paint via internet and should be here Friday. what do you think of that color ?

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Mark .. so yesterday I found this picture.. and guess what - it's the knotty alder with salem maple stain but with black breakaway glaze. so thank you for your advice! I'm still stuck on the paint color though :>

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

barncatz would you please share photos of your granite (colonial white)- walls paint color - and flooring name and color please ?

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Natural Cream is another pretty gray. It reminds me of SW Useful Gray. Might be a little muddy for the granite.

Here's Worldly Gray. Looks soo much lighter in this photo than in yours but I love it with the floor, which remind me of that Maple cabinet glaze. Could your painter mix it at 75% to lighten it? (And I'm a fan of ceilings that match walls or are just a touch lighter.)

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

very nice! thank you!

• leelee
    7 years ago

No to those floors both counting flies and shooting stars. Those are way too busy. I'm not kidding. YOu will ruin the look of your brand new home and make other choices difficult.

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

leelee and mark.. what do you recommend for floor options ?

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Well, lol, I have a really weird kitchen, so I kind of hate to do this, but for you, sapphire... the walls aren't painted, they're finished with American Clay earth plaster in white. My trim IS painted, Ben Moore White Dove. The floor is a porcelain tile that is dark gray and copper, like stained concrete. It's lighter than these photos, more like your Worldly Gray photo, actually. Cabinets are quarter sawn oak, stained Chestnut and Sand. If you click on the photos, more of the floor shows.

I'm looking for another thread where she had Colonial White and I think her walls were gray.

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love it! thank you! your range looks like the one I ordered.. except slate color.. I forgot to mention the color of my appliances (SLATE) .. wowzerss.... last house wasn't this hard at all.. choose all tans and browns.. worked out perfectly...

• leelee
    7 years ago

Choose a basically solid color for the floors. I just saw a
    Design Dilemma with those floors and the room was completely overpowered.

Are you hoping for real wood, engineered wood, porcelain plank or vinyl plank floors?

• leelee
    7 years ago

Sapphire, not trying to say you're wrong with your choice of cabinets but wondering your thought process in coming up with oak?

• barncatz
    7 years ago

leelee, Sapphire has chosen alder cabinets.

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Sapphire, I would personally use a solid floor of some type with alder cabinets and your granite. It can be hard when one spouse loves an element that the other doesn't.

• leelee
    7 years ago

Ha! I see that now. Thanks.

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I was going to try the vinyl .. Had engineered wood last house - loved it ! Floor furnishing rep indicated the vinyls warranty and I was sold. Maybe I should change my mind on that also ? and if I stick with the vinyl go with non variation ..

• barncatz
    7 years ago

I hear really good things about the vinyl! I think you're right that no variation is a better option.

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

if you want vinyl, please go with something less busy. I think you are getting there :)

• PRO
    Carolyn Green/Home Advantage Realty
    7 years ago
    I was so glad to see a post about Colonial White Granite. I chose that for my kitchen too. I picked Anew Grey by Sherwin Williams based on an interior designer's recommendation. The primary reason she suggested that color is because it would coordinate with some of my Antique White paint color in other rooms ( I do not want to have the entire house repainted). I am getting paint bids now, so don't have a picture to share yet. Good luck with your choices! Also, would love to know if you have selected a tile backsplash yet?
  • Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Carolyn I'm really confused on paint color (because it's going in the whole house w/white trim and white shutters). I've had a few suggestions (thank you to those who have suggested). I'll take a look at anew grey. Are you installing white cabinets or darker stained wood ? for the splash, I'm doing the 4" splash (same granite), then painted walls. I'd love to see your photos when you're at that point.

• PRO
    Carolyn Green/Home Advantage Realty
    7 years ago
    Sapphire, my kitchen cabinets are white. I would like to comment on using the 4" edge of granite as a backsplash. I did this and now I really regret it. I chose the 4" edge to help reduce the amount of tile I would need for a backsplash. Now that the granite has been installed, I find the 4" edge is limiting my design choices. I have a built in cooktop and having a wipe able surface on the wall behind it is a must. Looking at all of the pictures on Houzz, not many kitchens have the 4" edge anymore. I tried to download a picture, but for some reason the app keeps crashing so I can't show it to you now.
  • Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Post it if you can get it to ! This is definitely something to think about!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    We don't do 4" granite backsplash anymore. Delete that. It will date your kitchen immediately. You can use a semi gloss paint on your backsplash or do a simple neutral tone tile backsplash all around. No medallion over cooktop/range. It might help if you select all your key kitchen items before paint. Backsplash is important to paint color as our cabinets. Then hardware for cabinets and hardware/plumbing for sinks and sinks. As I mentioned in an earlier post, loads of decisions in kitchens. Probably most in your house. I think right now, you need to land on cabinet finish treatment. That will help to give direction to the remains choices you have to make.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    We will help you with flooring and your hubby. Perhaps, if he wears suits and ties you can relate to clothing choices. Would he wear a brown suit with a gray shirt and multi colored snake cowboy boots with it. lol. If the answer is yes to that, we have a problem. I know this is all very stressful right now, but hopefully, we can help walk you through it and you will love the end result. I will look for some photos to help with the flooring issue.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I have looked throughout Houzz for pictures of kitchens that can show you and hubby the choices for flooring and cabinets that work well. What I know, and have found, is that the flooring choice of the linoleum, Fireflies is used only in beachy/cottage-like homes and typically with gray or white painted cabinets. But here some photos to demonstrate this. My suggestion is either change the cabinet colors or the floor because they are not going to look good together.

Master Bathroom Redo · More Info
    Here's what you CAN do. You can do your cabinets in a more gray stain, typically this is called Walnut, or some type of gray/brown. While this isn't the vinyl flooring you like, this gives the same kind of beachy impression. I surely don't recommend this pebble flooring. It is not easy on the feet and without extreme care in the tiler, you will see every joint grout line between sheets. So, saying in case you think I'm saying this is good flooring -- no.
    Kitchen · More Info
    You could go with a white cabinet and your counter top granite and a darker floor. Maybe not this dark, of even your preferred Fireflies vinyl. But you can see with the dark flooring, typically you go lighter on cabinets.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Clean Cottage Design · More Info
    This is your granite. Pretty, but notice cabinets -- yes, white.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

When I search for "kitchen and Congoleum Catching Fireflies on Houzz, I get a few pictures. Here they are:

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Coastal Kitchen · More Info
    Here is one and it has whie cabinets and actually the adjoining room flooring is probably a engineered wood. I don't like the change in flooring. Cuts look up too much. But this is the flooring. The granite is probably something like yours. Also notice color of walls. Warm tones.
    Coastal Kitchen · More Info
    Not sure if this is exactly your flooring but similar and white cabinets. OK, now look at your cabinet style and what colors are being put with it.
    Vintage Kitchen in Tudor Style Home · More Info
    this is your granite, or close with a cherry/brown floor and the island is similar but darker than your selection. White cabinets in the peripheral cabinets. So, what I'm trying to explain, is the granite and flooring selection are fine, IF YOU do your cabinets in either painted white or a gray tone (quite popular especially in beach areas) or you go with the warmer wood with black or chocolate glaze and change the flooring. You can do an offwhite to a gray (have to take great care to get a gray that doesn't show lavender with warm colored cabinets.) wall color. I know this decision is looming, so hope this information helps. I also can't find any "customer reviews" of that flooring product. There are engineered flooring products that I would consider if I were you. But you have some decisions to make. This is a difficult process and I am sorry you haven't had some good design input up to this point, but I am hoping with this input you can make a few changes that will serve you very well in the end. Let me know if you have any questions.

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is the final. I used Benjamin Moore Natural Cream paint !

• barncatz
    6 years ago

Very pretty, Sapphire. It's really warm and inviting. Congratulations!

What is your backsplash tile? People often get stumped with Colonial White or similar and yours sets it off nicely. I love your white grout. And your floor! How cute is that?

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! colonial white was tricky to get the right paint tone to work. I'll have to find out the color of the subway tile. I love how it all turned out!

• W Z
    5 years ago

Which paint and backsplash did you choose?

• Sapphire0905
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Paint is natural cream by Benjamin Moore. And tile subway tile unknown color.

• W Z
    5 years ago

To my husband’s dismay, we are still on the hunt for the perfect match here for both paint and backsplash. I’m okay with Accessible Beige but want to try Sedate Gray just to be sure. Backsplash in the south-facing bathroom will most likely be Lunada Bay Tozen 1x2 in Vanadium. Have to find a different one for my bath, as it’s a different Colonial White slab with grays, blues dominating. I love the variations in CW slabs!!!