Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephc28

What would YOU do.....with this kitchen??

stephc28
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Our 5 year plan is to do a complete remodel of the kitchen but in the meantime what would you do with it? We don't want to spend a lot since it will be redone in 5 years.

Backsplash? Paint color? Paint the cabinets??

Comments (41)

• pitbulls
    7 years ago

500 won't go far. I'd change the flooring. In my opinion that is the most dated thing.

stephc28 thanked pitbulls
  • User
    7 years ago

$500 will not even begin to touch the flooring other than adding a cheap rug.

It won't even cover having a Pro paint the walls.

Keep saving and putting away $500 here and there until you have done that 100 times. Then talk with a KD.

• stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I know it wont go far. I just threw a number out there. I just dont want to spend a fortune. The floors will be done when we do the big reno. I'm definitely painting the walls. Just don't know whether to go dark or light.

• stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We do everything ourselves. So the money will only go to supplies.

• shirlpp
    7 years ago

You cannot do a backsplash for $500. If you paint, if will cost you $500. What the heck, get the cheap rug to put some color in there. Change the knobs and change the window curtain - there you've spent the $500....Also, remove the clutter from the refrigerator door(my pet peeve - might not be yours).

• stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What paint do you buy? A gallon of BM regal select is 50.00

• PRO
    Design Services Company
    7 years ago
    Replacing the cabinet door pulls will update the look.
    stephc28 thanked Design Services Company
  • shirlpp
    7 years ago

So, one gallon is going to do it for you? The point is, as you've noted - $500, will not go far.

• stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What would you suggest for the knobs?

• stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Shirlpp- to change the wall color, yes, 1 gallon is enough. There is not a lot of wall space. I know 500 isn't a lot. I just threw a number out there. We would do the backsplash ourselves so would just have to pay for tile and supplies.

• thinkdesignlive
    7 years ago
    Honestly it's not that bad. Take down the valance, the mirror isn't doing anything just remove and replace w a nice larger scale art piece. Do not paint that room that dark color. Save every penny for 5 years then go to town on the remodel.
  • felizlady
    7 years ago
    I like to have a soft surface to stand on, so I have rugs in my kitchen. Two runners, one on each side of your island, would allow you to have some good color on the floor, and some accessories in the same color (canisters, ceramic pot for big cooking utensils, potholders, curtains, and art on the wall) will spread the color around the room. Rug runners are not expensive. Your kitchen is all neutral, so you could choose bright color runners at least the length of your island for nice impact and few dollars.
    stephc28 thanked felizlady
  • Melissa R
    7 years ago

OMG $500 WILL go far, especially if you do it yourself! Sherwin Williams paint. You can get a few gallons and paint your cabinets white, get it on a 30% or 40% off sale and it comes in cheaper than a gallon of Behr at Home Depot (right around $35 per gallon). You could do white uppers and keep the lowers wood or even just paint the island.

Head over to floor and decor and you can pick up some white subway tiles for 19 cents and do a back splash.

Even just the back splash would change the look up enough to make it "yours".

Look around for a cabinet supply place. Not where you actually buy cabinets but where you buy the wood to make the cabinets, they will have drawer pulls for a TOOOOON cheaper than anywhere I've been able to find. I don't mind your pulls though. I think paint is your biggest bang for your buck.

stephc28 thanked Melissa R
  • L M
    7 years ago
    I'd be tempted to stick with paint and the curtain if the plan is to gut it in five years. Personally, I'd probably just lose the curtain since I like natural light, and it seems to block lots of the window. You can definitely DIY backsplash within that budget (I just did marble subway tiles, and while I had way less backsplash square footage than you, I came in around $600 Canadian for the tiles+adhesive+sealer+grout+wet saw... I therefore think if you really wanted, and kept an eye out for sales, you could do a decent ceramic tile within your budget...) but if you're redoing your countertop in your big Reno, you'll have to redo the backlash then. So I'd personally stick with the simple stuff like paint, and splurge a little more down the road. Hardware pulls also totally transform a kitchen, and if you get something you love, you could reuse those when you do your big Reno, so it wouldn't be lost $$$. Good luck!
    stephc28 thanked L M
  • drdeb1234
    7 years ago
    It's not an unattractive kitchen. I wouldn't waste any money on something that will be undone in 5 years. Take down the valence. Spend whatever you want on some great art instead of the mirror. (It's not an unattractive kitchen, but you don't need to see it twice!!).
    That's all I would do.
    stephc28 thanked drdeb1234
  • PRO
    Design Services Company
    7 years ago
    Cup style pulls on the drawers. the cabinet doors could be round knobs or something more rectangular. Since you plan to renovate in a few years I wouldn't spend time and money on a backsplash. Perhaps paint the wall above the counter a bold accent color. Also remove the window treatment and replace the recessed can with a pendant fixture.
    stephc28 thanked Design Services Company
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

pay whatever is necessary to keep someone seated at the island from putting their foot through the glass cabinet door.... or buy a lot of bandages....

• stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Does this look better?? Minus to curtain rods brackets...

• izeve
    7 years ago

Take down the valance, replace the mirror with art in colors you like, get some colorful accessories (a fruit bowl, canisters, tea towels, etc. - I think red would look great in your kitchen) and a couple of rugs. Remove the stools from the side of the island. Remove the "stuff" from the front of the fridge. And whatever you do, do not paint the kitchen that dark gray color you have a sample of on the wall!

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

Echo many here. Very nice kitchen.

I see you took down the valence. Good.

Find the mirror another home and put up a beautiful piece of art there.

The backless stools don't really belong.

Add towels and bowls in pretty colors.

If you want to paint, go bright. Bright green is very trendy right now and fun in a kitchen.

• acm
    7 years ago

I'd invest the small change for some grout paint and lighten all the grout lines in the tile -- it would take 30 years off the floor. I think that and new pulls is all I would do for the time being, as it's pretty nice kitchen. I didn't even mind the valence, except for size.

stephc28 thanked acm
  • stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So, it looks like the dark walls is a no go. What color do you suggest?

• izeve
    7 years ago

I think the color you have there right now is fine. If you feel the need to repaint, a light greenish gray or grayish green would work well.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Here's a suggestion for paint and art. Just not crazy about the mirror, but another 'view' in the room could be nice. I just took the color of your counters for the wall paint.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

You must have removed your $500 reference from your original post.

I'd install a backsplash because there isn't one. It will cost you more than $500, but you need one and will be glad you did. I would probably warm up the flooring, too. But I like your kitchen for the most part and don't think it necessarily needs a completely overhaul.

• stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I did remove it because it seemed unreasonable to a lot of people. I just don't want to spend a fortune if I'm doing a major reno in 5 years or so. BUT I do want to like the space until then.

Beverly- I love that look! Where is that painting from?

• stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And Beverly- How did you do that?!?! Was that an app? I need that!!! My husband would so much rather me do that than paint a million swatches on the wall :)

• PRO
    TORLYS Floors
    7 years ago

Maybe bring in a colour on the walls. Like the way Beverley's picture does, but by painting the actual walls. Patterns are also a good option.

Riverside Reno · More Info

stephc28 thanked TORLYS Floors
  • pattthecatt
    7 years ago

I'd get a pretty bowl and fill it with fruit and treat yourself to a bouquet of flowers every week to put on the island.

stephc28 thanked pattthecatt
  • stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

What do you guys think of these changes? I ran to homegoods and grabbed some things. I also got a "backsplash".

• Jen
    7 years ago
    I like the backsplash! Now I really want to see the cupboards painted white though...! A little greenery is always good too!
    stephc28 thanked Jen
  • Crissa Cook
    7 years ago

I agree with the white cabinets! They would make your countertops look better. There are a lot of good DIY cabinet painting tutorials online. It's a project for sure, but it would make you happier. 5 years is still a long time. :)

stephc28 thanked Crissa Cook
  • stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I definitely think the cabinets would look so much better white. The floor is going to look awful if/when I do them. One project really opens a can of worms!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

The canvas is from GreatBigCanvas.com, but the large images can get expensive. If you take the time to read your options you can also get it in a poster format. I think the gold tones in the art is a good contrast with your kitchen gray.

I changed the color of the walls on your photo using Microsoft PAINT. Not an app. I believe it comes standard with Windows, or at least it used to.

stephc28 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • life4real
    7 years ago
    I don't think your floor tiles look bad at all. Every kitchen doesn't have to have wood flooring. Your cabinets are in nice shape too! I love white kitchens, but it does cost a lot to have them painted. Painting cabinets is not as easy if you want it to really look good. I think a backsplash would look nice. I think you have to figure out what colors you love and want to look at every day and enjoy. Work toward that.
    stephc28 thanked life4real
  • stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi everyone. I just want to share what we did with the kitchen. I still need to add decor.

• Sandybean
    7 years ago
    It looks great! I like your cabinets. Can't see any reason to go to the expense and work of painting them. Now all you need is art for the wall. I would also suggest taking down the paper towel holder and putting it in a lower cabinet (just a little thing that's always bugged me in houses).
  • Sandybean
    7 years ago
    Just noticed that you did paint the cabinets...lol. I would live with that kitchen for way more than 5 yrs! Maybe just a new floor eventually.
  • stephc28
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Would something like this look ok or is it too blah?

• Sandybean
    7 years ago
    Do you mean for that big wall? I think you need large colorful art there.