Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisha_korpus

Enough space for island

Alisha Korpus
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I asked this question before but i am still having a hard time deciding. Between an island and peninsula this time im going to show you the two layouts.

My pros for a peninsula are that i dont have to walk around the island to enter kitchen. And more space to walk in kitchen area. Cons, cant reach the upper cabinet over peninsila easily. And one cabinet would have to be turned to face dining area. And having it right up against opening for patio door. And walking around it to the patio door.

Now for the island. Pros, will be selling and most people want an island, be able to reach the upper cabinet. Prep space closer to stove. Cons, have to walk around to enter kitchen. Only 3 feet between fridge and island. And i will have to make it 48 inches instead of the cabients i already have would be 51 inches.

If you could take a look at the layout, where i have the living room entrance if you think it would bother you or not around the island area. I would rather be able to reach that upper cabinet to the far right, and have the prep space closer to stove. Oh yea try to forget my attempt at a kitchen table, and person walking through lol! Thanks!!

Comments (43)

• leelee
    7 years ago

turn the island to be parallel with the stove just like the peninsula but free-standing.

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

If you look at the measurements i cannot do that. The island would only be 24 x24 inches.

• leelee
    7 years ago

you need more than 3 ft between fridge & island so no to #2 drawing

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    7 years ago

Is this an existing kitchen you are working with? Or are you trying to come up with a new floor plan all together.

• leelee
    7 years ago

if the peninsula will fit then I can't see why island won"t

I just counted the squares--leave 3 open where pen. was...scoot island down

• leelee
    7 years ago

l must be missing something

• leelee
    7 years ago

end of island even with end of fridge

• Leslie Brooks
    7 years ago
    Can you turn the island at an angle rather than perpendicular to one wall or the other?
  • leelee
    7 years ago

don't do that

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So this is our remod, but i already have all the cabinets, and putting down the floor tomorow so in about a week or two the cabinets will be installed. Its mostly diy.

• Barbara Almandarz
    7 years ago

I much prefer an island. You will use all 4 sides much more than you would the back side of a peninsula. I'd make the island bigger by 1 foot (towards the DW), so you leave 36" on all 3 sides. This will give you an island of 36" x 38" (12 sq ft of work surface vs 8.5 sq ft on your peninsula) You'll be able to get your things from the fridge, turn and place them on the island for prep, instead of walking them to the peninsula for prep. The distance you'd have to travel with the peninsula is not the best way to have a functioning kitchen. Personally, I'd add cabinets beneath the island top, leaving a small demi-lune side on the table side, where you can place 2 stools. You can always use more storage in a kitchen! Keep the island all one level for maximum flexibility for use. You mention you'd have to walk around the island to get the the sink, when entering from the living room. Do you really walk from the living room to the DW? I think you walk into the kitchen to the refrigerator; stove and sink, which is almost a direct line. You would have a much bigger appearing kitchen, with much more working surface. 36" is plenty of space for 2 people to pass by each other. It's not the space you have now, true, but how many people are in the center of your kitchen now? I suspect if you do have several people preparing a meal, they'd much rather have counter work space to walking around space. Ultimately it's up to you and you're kitchen habits and needs. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love whatever you decide upon.

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The problem is i already have all my cabinets so , what you see is what i have to work with. And when entering the kitchen i will have to pivot multiple times to go to the sink wall. Instead of walking right into the space with the pensinsula. When we bring the cabinets up from the basement i will lay them out to see what feels more comfortable. Maybe someone who put an island in and wished they hadnt would Hve some good insight?

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Groveraxle, that is only 2.5 feet between dishwasher and island.

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I could make the island short than 4 feet. But that gives me less storage space, id rather have the peninsula in that case. The kitchen portion is only 11.2 x 10 ft

• shiningautumn8
    7 years ago
    It seems like your only con to the island is having to pivot or walk around island. To me thats not a big deal. Islands seem to be almost universally more preferred over penninsulas. It seems like you too would prefer the island but are trying to talk yourself into the pennonsula.
  • Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh man, you have no idea i have been going over this in my head for months! The original plan was an island but i didnt know the rules for spacing so i got all frustrated. And yes, the reason the pivoting irritates me is because this kitchen was a galley/peninsula before and i had to pivot in the same spot where this new island will be is exactly where the old peninsula ended. And it bugged the heck out of me. Since we have only lived here for 2 years now. This whole year next month without a kitchen. My last kitchen was u shaped and i loved it except that my prep space was too far from the stove. But u are probably right, and i am most likely overthinking it. Especially considering nothings perfect. And i have to make a compramise somewhere.

• ficidv
    7 years ago
    First thing I noticed is that your fridge comes out too far. You don't mention budget. Can you get a built in fridge? It would take away frig space to get a built-in, perhaps add refrigerator drawers to the island. They make 36" and it is pretty close to flush to the counters. Also, add 6" to the depth of the island to make it more square. It appears to be a 2' deep island, 48" from the cabinet is nice but the island is kinda small and would benefit from that 6", or even 12" added to the island. Make sure you have enough room for the dishwasher door. You won't even notice having to go around the island. It will be a nice feature to put flowers or another centerpiece on. Do you have electrical over it for pendants?
  • ficidv
    7 years ago
    One more suggestion, double sinks are a pain. I could never get a pan in one. I recently did my kitchen and went all large single after coming from a double and I love it!
  • ficidv
    7 years ago
    I see you say you purchased the cabinets already. Do you mean the cabinets that would be used for either the island or peninsula? To add 6" or 12" you can just increase the stone size. It would give you additional seating for stools of you went 12". Or even 10".
  • Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ficidv, well. We literally just bought this fridge avout 2 weeks ago. And im not willing to get rid of it. My original plan for the island was to have 3.5 feet between cabinets and do a 6 inch overhang on the back of island. We have recessed lighting along the L shape of the kitchen. I didnt want pendants so i bought a really pretty semi flushmount to go in middle of kitchen which will be over the island as well. And a matching wall sconce for over the sink. And matching chandelier for dining area. I had the same problem with my old double sinks. But i did a ton of research and bought an elkay aqua divide sink. So its a double sink, but the divider is only 4 or 5 inches high. So i can still use one side for soaking other for rinising. OR i can use the whole sink for soaking. I cant wait to use it.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Why wasn't this settled before cabinet purchase?

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kris mays it was. But being diy, i was going to bend the 4 foot rule, and go 3.5 feet but then started worrying it was going to be too tight and bug me. If the proccess had gone alot faster im sure, i would have just went with my plan. But since it has taken such a long time i started to second guess myself.

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is the sink i bought, actually its not the exact one because this one is smaller on one side than the other. But the one i bought is equal on both sides. But same brand and same short divider. Instead of typical full height divider

• ficidv
    7 years ago
    I see the frig looks like a French door frig? These can work with tighter areas so not to worry about 3 v 4 ft. Do you have a back piece for the cabinets exposed area? It sounds like it will be terrific when you're done. Post after pix.
  • Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yea itz a french door. I plan on trimming the whole island out to loom like furniture at the base, and the back is going to be either bead board stained to match or the decorative panels or w.e. havent decided but it wont be plain. I will do that for the island and the peninsula w.e. we decide. Im driving myself crazy. And i will post after pics. It will probably be another month since we are building the countertop ourselves too.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

WHY would you plan a kitchen using 1/8 inch scale when 1/2 inch is common for all KD's as it is so much easier to see what you're doing. Why is the fridge where it is? Why does someone with zero planning experience embark on this journey such as this all alone? And 42 inches with a double door pantry fridge is fine, it happens all the time.. I want to scream,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Stick with the peninsula, as you already own it all.

• ficidv
    7 years ago
    Jan, I think you missed that she has the cabinets and can either make them a peninsula formation or an island formation and is talented enough to to make either work. A point to note about not having the peninsula. You would presumably want to put your dishes as close to the dishwasher as possible. You would not be able to easily take them out of the dishwasher and up into the cabinet as the dishwasher door would be in the way. So you would need to place them on the counter, then into the cabinet if you had the peninsula. I was in a house that had that formation, it was a pain.
  • PRO
    Lehman Design Studio
    7 years ago

I would go with the peninsula. You are giving up a lot of work space by using an island. Personally, I almost always design for an island but in your case it is not working. I just did a sketch for a relative who had a kitchen designer work something up with a huge (over 10') island. I showed them an alternative with a U shape and it works better in their case.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Peninsula. And I would have pushed your frig to the end.

• ficidv
    7 years ago

Since the cabinets are movable, put them in the positions and "live" around it. See what works. Open the dishwasher, with cabinets in both positions, go from the patio to the kitchen, the table to the kitchen, etc.. You may think the flow is better around the kitchen and to and from with the island. The Pros seem to say Pen is better cause it gives more room, but convenience, flow and access seems to be better with island. Good luck.

• PRO
    Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
    7 years ago

Is that a full-height pantry cabinet to the left of the refrigerator? Is your sink fixed on a window? Also, if you really want an island, I wouldn't worry too much if it's 51" vs. 48". That 3" isn't going to make a huge difference if it extends slightly into the dining area. Unless the floor changes there. I would also center the island in that space and have 42" on both sides (not the 48" on one side) - that also moves it slightly away from the frig.

• Bailey R
    7 years ago

My kitchen had very similar issues, previous owner had an island , I had contractor remove it, replaced with a peninsula , kitchen looks so much larger, flows better. people couldn't believe the change it made.. Funny, before having it done everyone was asking "what???? Removing the island????" Islands not always best solution for every kitchen.

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jan i dont understand what your saying. This is just a little sketch i did to see what people thought, i did the actual deisgn on the computer using software for a kitchen. im using the boxes as every 2 box equals 1 foot. And the pantry next to the fridge is 18 inches wideand to the ceiling. I dont think im the first person who ever attempted a diy, (most except for plumbing and electric) kitchen you live and learn.

Madden- The sink is under the window yes. And with the measurements i was originaly going to do the 42 inches all around. But like i said im worried about the "standard" but i know some people have said theirs is less than that and fine.

Ficidv that is a concern, and like i was saying i think im going to have to make a compramise somewhere. I tried masking tape and putting some stuff inside the island area since i dont have boxes, and i was a little irritated having to walk around the island to get to the stove or sink area. I tried the same for peninsula and liked it way better as far as flow into the kitchen. But like you said then i have to reach to get to the upper cabinet, and also like you said about the dishwasher door having to unload close it and then open the cabinet doors. I dont think that would bother me as much as having to reach the upper cabinet over the corner of tbe peninsula which is why i like the island better but i hate having to walk around it. But i would like the prep space closer to stove. So when i bring up the cabinets i will place them in the configuration and see what feels better.

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

this is the island layout

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

and peninsula

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• ficidv
    7 years ago

I like them both. It comes down to what you think works for you. If you decide on the peninsula, be careful about the type and size knobs you choose or the dishwasher could hit them. A normal size should be ok. Large pulls stick out.

• acm
    7 years ago

Peninsula version is SO MUCH BETTER! Makes the kitchen look larger, gives you a sort of cockpit arrangement, and you're not walking around the island all the time on your way to fridge or LR. Quite second-guessing -- you already know the island will make you crazy. Build the peninsula.

• ficidv
    7 years ago

Sit at the table. Whoops forgot a spoon, go around the peninsula, kids getting more milk, go around the pen, need another dish go around the pen, serving dinner, go around the pen. The island gives a straight shot from the table to everything. Going around the island going into the kitchen from the hallway is a small issue. You will get used to that pretty quick. You also get access to the lower cabinet directly instead of having the opening on the backside by the patio door, that seems awkward. Now yes, the area looks bigger with a pen. The pen doesn't give a bigger workspace, just a continuous one. Plus an island if you add an overhang actually gives you more counter space plus room for a stool or two for more seating and brings prep area closer to refrig and stove.

• Alisha Korpus
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ficidv thats a good tip about the door handles. I was planning on putting a 3 inch filler next to the diwshwasher if i do the peninsula so that it doesnt open right up against the adjacent cabinets. But thats something i didnt event think of. I think i am just going to have to set them up in both comfigurations and see what i like better. There are compramises for both i think