theosof0

What is the name of this bush ?

theosof0
October 7, 2016

Beautifully shaped leaf. Searched online and asked folks no one knew. Southeastern PA. Thanks.

• Embothrium

Don't know if that grows there but what it looks like is paper mulberry. Otherwise white mulberry produces lobed leaves part of the time also, has been much asked about. But it doesn't look like your plant as much.

theosof0 thanked Embothrium
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

It looks most like Broussonetia rather than Morus to me too.

theosof0 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • theosof0

I looked up red mulberry leaves online and they do have some sculpted like the one I found. Thnx for the help.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Both Embothrium and I agreed it looked more like Paper Mulberry, Broussonetia, than White, or Red, Mulberry, Morus. What made you decide it was Morus? The texture looks wrong to me.

• theosof0

I looked online when the names were given. It seemed to me that the red had the lovely sculpted leaves. I may be wrong as I am not well versed in shrubs.

• Embothrium

All three produce lobed leaves. Look at other characters mentioned in descriptions, such as hairiness to decide which particular one this is.

• sam_md

Pix taken from an abandoned lot on Girard Ave in Philadelphia. This is paper mulberry. Can you see the pubesence? I can say have never seen any insect damage on the leaves. This Japanese tree is a pernicious weed for us.