gltrap54

Insulating El Cheapo Harbor Freight 6'x 8' GH........

gltrap54

Living in NE Kansas & looking at some type of insulation for my GH.......... Seems to be so many options out there for insulation.......... I was hoping I could get some input on what to use..... TIA.......

Trapper

• gltrap54

Pity bump......... :) Went with bubble insulation........

• gltrap54

Thanks greenthumbs2! I've researched this issue & based my decision on the facts you've mentioned...... Some of the more high tech (& expensive) insulation only allows the roof & the north end to be covered due to it's light transmission........ I plan to use double sided tape & velcro strips to attach the bubble insulation..... Seems a bit ify, but I'm trying to make my GH more efficient during at least part of our Kansas winters..... I'm also searching for a heater to replace my current ineffective 1500w/110v heater....... I'm open to suggestions!

• greenthumbs2

gltrap54(5b) I use an inexpensive heater from WalMart and a thermostat I ordered online. It keeps the temp even as a separate cheap fan from one of the Dollar stores comes on when the heater does. It keeps the temp' the same from roof to floor.

• greenthumbs2

gltrap54(5b) I also have lifters for the roof vents someone gave me. Used but still work fine.

• gltrap54

Just finished re-caulking & installing the bubble wrap............ Bought a (3K watt/240V) heater that's going to require a new designated circuit..... Electrician's bill will probably double the cost of my project......

• agardenstateof_mind

The discussions here were very helpful in outfitting the HFGH I got in 2005.

When installing the panels, we added foam insulation tape.

For winter I wrap the entire GH in clear solar pool cover. It was about $100, but has lasted all these years. There was some pool cover left over, which I cut into three wide strips and hang, overlapping, just inside the GH door. Very effective.

1" think foam board insulation is on the north wall; for winter, I add foil-faced bubble wrap (like Reflectix) on the lower 2' of the north roof and the north 1/3 of the side walls.

During the first winter I discovered a cold draft all around the base where it sits on the ground. Retrofitted with more Reflectix-like material that runs under the gravel floor and up the 2x10 wooden base. At the same time, I installed a similar barrier of hardware cloth to deter rodents.

Empty spaces are filled with water-filled 1-gallon jugs to help retain heat.

Favorite heater was an inexpensive convection heater from one of the big box stores, attached to a thermostat for better control. That finally gave out, and the current oil-filled heater is OK, but takes longer to respond to temperature changes.

A fan is essential, 24/7, to ensure good air circulation for plant health.

• gltrap54

Wow NJ no less! Do you use your GH all winter? What temp do you keep it?

• agardenstateof_mind

Yes, we do heat it through winter, with the thermostat set at 50 degrees F. Because I have a citrus (Meyer Improved Lemon) that appreciates warmer roots, after Christmas I wrap the pot in exterior grade holiday lights.

The greenhouse is a great winter refuge; I always make sure to leave room for a chair. First year we had the greenhouse, my husband, who is not into gardening, went missing. I couldn't find him anywhere in the house, his car and the dog were here, so he wasn't out running an errand or walking the dog. I finally found him ... in the greenhouse with a book and a cup of coffee.

It can get quite warm on a sunny day, even when it's really frigid outside, so I've learned to layer a tank or t-shirt under my warmer shirt when going out there for any length of time.

• gltrap54

Very cool! I'm very anxious to see how winterizing (ie, bubble wrap, caulking, & 3K watt heater) will improve my HFGH! After paying an electrician to wire the new heater ($250), I've sunk another $500 in my GH...... Wife isn't impressed, but then again she's not a gardener! LOL

• agardenstateof_mind

Perhaps mid-winter, if she steps into that space filled with the sights and smells of green, growing, even blossoming, things. Especially if there's a place to sit and a cup of something warm handy.

3K watts sounds like a lot. My 750/1500W dual-mode convection heater was sufficient, but I have to remember you are two zones colder than I am here in coastal NJ. In the depths of winter, night temps can fall into the teens and occasionally single digits, but usually not for any sustained periods.