Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmgbrd7

Stairs with/ without carpet with kids?

hmgbrd7
7 years ago

We have an 80s tract home in SoCal and are planning a remodel very soon. Debate is---what to do about the stairs (currently carpeted and not up to code) to make them more modern? My husband likes the metal/wire railings but that modern style only goes with wood stairs...and we have 2 LOs under the age of 2.5. Thoughts?

Comments (4)

• Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

runner?

• skmom
    7 years ago
    I have 5 kids, all teens now but they were all born within a 4.5 year time span and were all under the age of 5 when we moved into our first house with stairs. We had carpeted stairs and I have to admit that everyone in the family except my husband fell down those stairs at least once. Fortunately, there were no major injuries, not even the time I fell down while carrying a toddler. My advice... don't wear socks while on the stairs... whether it's carpeted or not, wearing socks makes it slippery. Bare feet or shoes with tread are best on stairs.
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago

i have a front stairs that has a runner, and a back stairs thats wood; i've fallen down both, on the front stairs i had a sore tush for a day, on the backstairs i cracked 2 ribs... so.... i'd keep a runner on your stairs until your children have reached an age where they can be responsibly careful.

skmom is right on, socks + wood stairs are treacherous. i have house shoes and make my adult kids and their spouses wear slippers or grippy socks when they are staying over here.

• Renee Texas
    7 years ago

I'd keep carpet on with kids that young; it'll give you an excuse to remodel when they are older/out of the house, too!