Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victoriaru20

Need help with kitchen cabinets! Please!

victoriaru20
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are building a home and I can't decide on cabinet color. The designers have not been as much help as I hoped. I am horrible at designing. I told the kitchen designer I envisioned a "white" or "off white" kitchen. There were only 2 colors to choose from in the Kemper Echo line which the builder uses. Other lines available for an upgrade and we are trying to stay in budget. My choices are Alabaster which is a pretty bright white - afraid it looks too stark and Brie which is supposed to be off white but it looks pretty creamy and I'm afraid it will look too yellow under certain lighting. We are going to go with a painted white trim and doors. Our kitchen island is supposed to be in Riverwood trim which is a medium to dark brown with grey undertone. I need to make up my mind soon so we can order the cabinets. Please help! I'm very indecisive! Thanks!

Comments (14)

• victoriaru20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes that looks right. We can choose the Kemper Choice line and several other lines but we are trying to stick in budget. Kemper Choice has a coconut which is basically the brie and I've thought about the limestone or dover which is off white with a cooler gray undertone but I really just wanted a slightly off white. My fear was it will look too stark. I could do a glaze over the Alabaster to soften the look but I see a lot of people think a glaze on white cabinets just makes it look dirty. I'm new to all this so I really have no idea! I was leaning towards the Alabaster. I figured anything goes with white? Do you have a suggestion for hardwood floor color or paint colors to warm up the white cabinetry?

• Tangela W
    7 years ago
    IMO cream/off white cabinets are more difficult but it really depends on your colour palette. Is it cool or warm? Would the cabinets be close to interior doors with white trim? What about the baseboard trim? I would mock up two design boards... With Wall colours, granite sample, cabinet sample, hardware, backsplash, floor sample and take some pictures. The more things you can imagine the easier it will be.
    victoriaru20 thanked Tangela W
  • victoriaru20
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Well I feel like I'm not a fan of warm colors. When I think of warm I think of yellows, oranges, reds, browns. I like cooler colors like greys, blues, etc but I tend to always lean towards the warmer greys which is why I thought I needed the off white cabinets. I thought I liked cooler greys and when I painted the rooms in our old house I realized I didn't like the icy cold look and feel of a cool grey with blue undertones. I was thinking of doing a neutral warm grey by BM throughout the main living areas and since it is an open floor plan I'm nervous the white cabinets won't look good. But maybe that will warm up the look? On the other hand I think the off white will clash! I'm really thinking those off white cabinets are not going to work. The kitchen designer assures me it won't look yellow when it's up but she said I need to match the trim and doors to the cabinets to make sure they look white. But then what about the ceiling and everything else? I honestly would never build again. Too stressful, too many decisions. I'm thankful for this site and everyone's help!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

dont do a glaze! it does look dirty and if you don't know how to do it, looks horrible. Just stay with your white if you want to do white trim and such. Trying to match off-white, warm, with cool grays is difficult.

If there is a shade between bright white and a cream, can you do that? Just know that if you pick a cream cabinet and what to do any white tile or countertop, it's not going to go together. If you want to do natural stones, like a travertine floor or backsplash, then it won't go w/the white.

Dark hardwoods are pretty but a nightmare to keep clean. you will be dusting everyday. if you like the more natural oak tones w/a french oak look, white or the cream will go. If you like all of the cool gray colors then get white.

take a look at pics on here and search kitchens, "white kitchen cabinets" and then search, "cream color cabinets" or off-white kitchen cabinets". look at what they have around them. Should give you an idea. But it sounds like you want a white or one step down from bright white.

victoriaru20 thanked Beth H. :
  • victoriaru20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Beth H - do you know of a white cabinet color in another line that you just absolutely love? I'm sure the builder will let me go with whoever I want - I just went to the cabinet lady they work with thinking it would be easier. I haven't even picked out granite or hardwood floors or paint yet. I would love a color between the alabaster and brie. I just can't find one. I appreciate your advice! :-)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

I don't any offhand, that's not my expertise. perhaps one of the more experienced cabinet designer people can help you there.

I know you are thinking of the bright white that is on those Thermofoil cabinets. those are icky. Putting a white finish over a natural wood cabinet will tone it down a bit. Do you have any cabinet showrooms that you can visit to give you an idea? Do you know what kind of countertop you are leaning towards? granite, quartz or marble? Will you be living in this house for say, 10 years, at least?? if so, then spend a little more for quality. Cheap is only good for 5 years.

• victoriaru20
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes I think I am picturing those really cheap cabinets you are referring to. We are going to do the white finish on Maple. As far as countertops I'm thinking granite or quartz...that's a whole other issue to deal with. Ha! I have no idea what kind of countertop to choose either. I'm awful at this! If I could go back and redo this I would have just bought a brand new home that was already designed for me. It would have saved a lot of headache as I'm not one bit on the creative side. I've aged about 10 years since we started building. LOL! I think I'm going to just go with the Alabaster finish and move on to the countertops which will probably be my next post.

• Tangela W
    7 years ago
    I could only imagine the burn out from doing a new build and the stress of making so many decisions... I always joke I want to do a "practice" house first before building a new house so I can learn what I really wanted. I think it's the indecisive design moments that can lead to a snowball effect of more unusual decisions. Such as you love the look of integrate granite but someone told you that it is too busy with x, y, & z so you go with a safe suggested solid brown which you never have liked but "it goes"... This can lead to disappointment. Maybe write out a list of features in kitchens you love (must haves) and what isn't so important to help set style goals. I think Expert advice is great to help make good decisions but in the end it is what you like and your style. Good luck I hope it works out and you love it!
  • chiflipper
    7 years ago

Find an interior design pro to help you on a per hour basis. He / she will be well worth the cost. Just ask for them to go with you and help you get a great look within your allowance. You are overwhelmed and that makes for bad decisions you will have to live with. No shame in asking for help, no one is good at everything.

• smitrovich
    7 years ago

It's really hard to go wrong with white, so that would be my choice given the options. You'll soften it up with counters, backsplash, and paint. I'd definitely stay away from anything cream colored.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

So, looks like white is it?! the white on the maple will be nice. Do a nice matte, as opposed to glossy, finish. Are you doing a shaker cabinet door?

If you know what countertop you want, keep that in mind when you go for the flooring. Will the flooring be the same as in the family room? Is this a large open concept type? Some people like wood in that room and then do a tile of some sort for the kitchen. Others like wood. So if you are doing a busy pattern floor (think wood look porcelain tile) then your countertop will probably have to be on the solid side. What kind of countertops are you drawn to? Did you say your island will be brown or will it have the same white cabinets? If you're doing the brown island, you can do a diff countertop.

maybe take a picture of the space or post a layout. Don't even think about backsplash until you have the other two chosen! Ditto paint.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

I like Medallion Cabinets Potter's Mill style with their white, but that's a big upgrade from where you are. If you must choose from this line, go with the whitest color. You really can't go wrong with white. You can warm it up with your flooring and paint no problem. Keep in mind that your trim, etc., in the rest of the house need not be the same white. It just has to blend.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

IMO you need a guiding hand building a new house is a crazy time I would advise you to get a designer to help with all these decisions it will be worth every penny