Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolindelaware

Will my arbovities recover after bagworms

carolindelaware
7 years ago

It seems my arborvitaes have had bag worms all summer and I didn't know it. The out sides of them are still very green, but when I was spraying and looking inside and cleaning up the brown needles, the insides are all brown. and dead. I removed as much as I could. I sprayed them with Sevin. Now I have been watering them non stop for 2 weeks. We cut away all the bags. The outsides are all green and they look very healthy again. But they are not as full as they were. Will this grow back?

Comments (17)

• carolindelaware
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I can put up a picture tomorrow. It is to dark to get a good one tonight. Will they grow back?

• Jean
    7 years ago

So stop the non-stop watering. You can kill them with what you think is kindness.

carolindelaware thanked Jean
  • wisconsitom
    7 years ago

Yes, two problems here; A possible mis-diagnosis resulting in unnecessary insecticide spray, and an apparently improper watering regime. Get that picture up caroline. And you know sevin is a broad-spectrum killer, right?

Where I live, where the parent species of this plant occurs naturally, any spraying of any pesticide ever, is unheard of. But you suggest bagworms which further suggest you live somewhere where those occur, so that suggests further south from where I'm at.....and just generally less suitable an area for this plant...........if bagworms truly present. Your description of interior browning is spot-on for normal cycle of this plant-loss of older foliage each and every fall.

carolindelaware thanked wisconsitom
  • carolindelaware
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here is a photo. As you can see they a refills green again, brown spots are gone. But they are not awful a they were. I'm hoping they will grow back in

• carolindelaware
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We cut out all the bags. They were in every one. We are certain it was bag worms. We choose sevin specifically because it also keeps the fleas and ticks away, and is pet friendly,

They looked bad and are really starting to look good again after 2 weeks of watering everyday. So we can go to watering every other day. After another week wil stop watering again.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

spraying for bugs in what is nearly november. is a bit of overkill ... dont do it again.. this season ...

also .. unless i am mistaken.. it is a contact killer.. and if you sprayed AFTER they were all removed.. well ... what was the point ...

and dont do it again next year.. unless you can find them ... plagues come and go over the decades ... you may never run into them again ...

there is nothing wrong with those plants.. i cant fathom why you would think they would fail ... i expected to see skeletonized Charley brown trees ... just relax.. and dont worry about them ... to my eye.. the bagworms.. had little to no effect on those plants ....

try not to kill them with too much love.. or too much drama ...

uuhhhmmmm.. tom.. i think her names suggests she lives in deleware.. lol ..

ken

carolindelaware thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • carolindelaware
    Original Author
    7 years ago

We spent days cutting them out, pruning, and removing all the dead needles inside. The pictures don't relay how thin they are. But I have to say they really look better than 2 weeks ago.

we sprayed after speaking to a arboligist. They recommended once now, then once in April.

Many question is will they grow back? Will they fill in again

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    7 years ago

They will not fill in inside. They may may grow a thicker shell on the outside and appear more solid if bagworms caused the loss of exterior foliage.

tj

carolindelaware thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • carolindelaware
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you TJ, is there anything I can do to ensure they grow a thicker she'll?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    7 years ago

Keep the bagworms off.

tj

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

Funny how marketers are able to get millions of people to believe that sevin-carbaryl insecticide-is safe for pets and kids. Simply amazing how readily we are fooled. Broad-spectrum nerve poison.

• Mike McGarvey
    7 years ago

I use Glysophate (RoundUp) on a regular basis, but would never use Sevin. There is a big difference in the two that a lot of people don't understand. They lump pesticides into two lumps, either they're all bad or all good.

If I have to use Sevin to keep a plant healthy I won't grow the plant. Period. There's too many choices out there to get squeezed into a self imposed position like that. A lot of rose growers have no problem with it though.

The first time I saw Bagworms was in Johnson City, Texas. I'm glad we don't have them here..........yet. A friend there clears most of the bagworms out of his upright junipers with a leaf rake and handpicks picks what the rake doesn't get.

The shell will fill in. As mentioned above, they just look not as thick once you cleared out the dead growth.

This arborvitae was planted upright next to a cabin down by a pond. It fell over in an ice storm. I replanted and it fell over again. I left it there on it's side with the rootball half exposed to the dripping water off the north side of the roof. The branches began to grow upright and here they are about ten years later. Yeah, yours will fill in.

Mike

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

Not only is Sevin some pretty scary stuff, but it's pretty useless against bagworm caterpillars.....especially at this time of year!

Our OP did the single most effective means of control in the fall....removing all of the bags by hand. Next year's crop of caterpillars are overwintering as eggs inside those convenient bags.

Go over the shrubs again over the winter to find bags that you may have missed. Next spring, keep an eye out for new infestations, treating with a biological larvicide only if necessary.

Bagworms are well controlled by an army of parasitoids, of predatory insects, birds, even squirrels know what to do with bagworms. But you must not spray lethal chemicals when the good guys are trying to do their jobs.

• indianagardengirl
    7 years ago

My favorite thing to do with bagworms is surprisingly satisfying. I carry an old metal bucket and pick by hand, dropping them into the bucket. When I've picked them all, I squirt in some lighter fluid...you see where this is going? I've only had to do it twice, and it felt pretty good each time.

• Mike Parker
    4 years ago

This is my tree. Had bad bagworms at the top that turned it brown. Will it grow back? How do I care for it?

• arbordave (SE MI)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The defoliated portion won't grow back. To preserve the remaining foliage be sure to remove all the bags you find and monitor for any new bags next year. New bags (still small) can be controlled with Btk. If neglected, a bagworm infestation can completely kill arborvitaes (and other evergreens). Here's some good info from BYGL: Be Alert to Bagworms

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting