Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevie56

Need help with my front porch

Stevie
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Looking to sell my home and want to make my front porch more welcoming. It gets all afternoon sun so even putting a pillow on the bench would be faded very shortly. I was thinking of some different size terra cotta pots? Already have symmetrical shrubs so A-symmetrical set up of potted plants are the only idea I have come up with so far. It is still early spring here so too soon to put in annuals. I am going to dig up the ornamental grasses and put some color in there....the mulch always helps and that is in the plans. Any suggestions would help please!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    11 years ago
    I agree the columns need beefing up and then put a collection of pots with pansies on the porch they are cold tolerant
  • Stevie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks, the column's are square and covered in "never to have to paint them again" material. But I can see how a little heftier column would improve the look. Yes, a collection of pots.....on one side of the door? Three different sizes maybe? I was thinking terra cotta because it seemed to go with the style of the house?
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Nice home! For resale, flowers & color flanking the walk and porch area. Comfortable welcoming seating. Good first impression!
  • zennifer
    11 years ago
    I put beefier turned columns and a pair of rocking chairs painted a trim accent color on my porch to sellit (similar cottage look). There were flowers along the porch on the ground.
  • Stevie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The column ideas are great, but as I said they are already done. The new owners can make them beefier if they wish. Looking for some potted color and think you all have been a help. Thanks!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am of your front porch !!! I don't have one, but I do want one. I would put out some cool wicker furniture, or great rocking chairs. Potted plants that don't flower (bees!) but are full and lush and green. Paint the ceiling light blue to ward off evil spirits (that's what Rachel says anyway). Plant some bright red geraniums in the circles near the evergreens, these will coordinate with your front door. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/renovation-detail-the-blue-porch-ceiling-stsetivw-vs~2794564
    [houzz=
    wicker set in white... | Wicker Paradise's Blog of Wicker · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    A & L Furniture Classic Porch Rocker · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Great images Bobbi, I want those chairs for my front porch! Yes, really creating an outdoor room would be very inviting.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Kevin, I want a front porch more than anything! Where I live, the sun sets in the backyard and the average temp in August is 113F. I can't even breathe! But the front is breezy and gorgeous and I have plenty of room for a porch.....just no $$$.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Yes we enjoy sitting on the porch watching the world go by! I think it would add a ton of personality to this project! BTW this is my porch (just to rub it in)!! See why I want those chairs?
  • charleee
    11 years ago
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think I like the dark green/black? rocker better for my house. The other one is cool but a bit "rustic" for me! Amazing for a cabin!! Not sure about porch cost, but wouldn't be too hard to call in some favors or do some "trading"? And I have been called all sorts of names, I can now add "evil" to the list!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Kevin, I'm so old I'll take any rocker at this point! But yes, the green/black rocker, WITH A CUSHION, great!!! And actually, you could have the set you own sprayed to match, wonderful!!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Bobbi, you got me thinking....you can see by the pics of my porch, the furniture is weathered teak, maybe a dark green/black stain? I just noticed, we are now working on my house!! I hope this side bar conversation is helping her!!!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Sorry, just noticed you said that!!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Actually, I'm not sure how a green/black stain will work, I would suggest getting a small can and staining the underside of the table before you attack the entire set. I think if you could have it professionally sprayed you'd be happier. Maybe a lacquer? Behr has a new water based lacquer that's supposed to be wonderful.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    And teak is a rainforest wood, isn't it a bit reddish yellow? How would a green stain work, I wonder....
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Great advice Bobbi, I have a painter that owes me one! I will bounce it off him! You know I like the "weathered teak" look but under the Porch it's not getting that silver color! Dark Green!! That what I'm talkin about! Thanks again for the inspiration!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    You're welcome, good luck, I hope it works out perfectly for you :))
  • Stevie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yo! what about me!!! You guys are too funny! Hope you got your rocking chairs figured out. I have a wonderful back porch so I never put much thought into the front as we never sit out there, no privacy. My city friends don't understand this!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I live in the country, a REAL cow town, and I don't understand it either!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hey Stevie, sorry about that! You get a bunch of designers together and a lot of ideas start flowing! I tend to get over-excited! I love the creative process, I hope it's helping you!
  • Stevie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes it has & I was just entertained at your discourse! Sitting on the front porch when you live in the city is a big social thing. Everyone knows each other and what their business is. People in "the burbs" tend to want their privacy and our front porches (for the most part) are there for decoration. Our front yards are too large to be yelling out at people as they walk by. There is something a bit sad about this lack of community that used to be. At the same time my back yard is my sanctuary and I love it.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I just moved from a community that was designed to get people out in their front yards -- narrow streets, garages in back, small front yards with front porches. It was a neat place.

Anyhow, Stevie, I think your house is lovely, and all it really needs are some pots with some colorful flowers on the porch and clean up and plant those beds with some pretty and colorful annuals. Add a pretty doormat. It's already very welcoming, and it won't cost a bunch, since you're selling. Make people feel that they'd love to sit out there and enjoy their coffee or a glass of wine.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    kimdee24 just hit the nail on the head! Get that front porch feeling like a comfortable "room" and put some color out front, sit down and chill. Perfect...life is good!