Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_sheremetiev

Need help picking perfect off white for exterior house

Danielle Sheremetiev
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I have the trim nailed down to a custom mixed slate grey/blue color, mixing Benjamin Moore's "Days End" with "Kensington Blue", but I'm having trouble deciding on the white. So far I like Benjamin Moore "Cloud Cover" which is a creamy white, or should I go with "Sand Dollar" which is a white with a touch of pink in it. OR should I do "Sand Dollar" or "Pink Damask" (like sand dollar only a tad more pink in the base) and do a very faint yellow glaze over it. REMEMBER I am going for an off white home with the blue-grey trim. In the pic I provided it's very difficult to see all the different shades of white, but the trim color is the blue/grey in the upper middle part of the trim, not the blue on the far right, and not the darkest blue/grey on the bottom part of pic. ugh, you can't even see the different variations of whites in this lighting but if anyone can help give feedback as to whether I should do a white with a yellow/cream colored base or a faintly pink base, or......???? HELP I'm going craaaaazy!!!

Comments (163)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

You guys might try SW Greek Villa or Shoji White for slightly different undertones. But be careful of combos with blue (cool color) and too much brown under tones (warm colors). Just have to try.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Any decisions?

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No my friend isnon Missouri so she's not here. She used to have her own painting company and says she picked up on yellow undertones in photoa. But up close it looks very lovely, I just want to compare against other whites so I am positively happy marble right is the only color for me. I will try those Sherwin Williams whites tomorrow. Shoji and greek villa? I'll buy them tomorrow. For now I did a second coat of blue note and I think that's all it needed. I fact I think when the final is done I'll have them do 3 coats. I'll post some pics now

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

oh shoot, I don't think I took new pics yet of the second coat of blue note and of marble painted over most of the other whites. Dang it these are yesterday's pics. Ahhh well ill take new pics tomorrow. But I'll refresh your memory yet again... I'm going to post yet another pic of dream house in early evening light so you can see the white I'm going for to compare to marble white.

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

As you so eloquently noted, and insightfully said, their white might not work for our home but I just want to try it

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

With your guidance I'm closer than ever. Three coats of blue note and I've got my trim. Marble white may very well be the base but I just want to compare it to another type of white more beige in it just to see how it looks and perhaps it will only confirm my love for marble White. Then I only need to determine the woods. Garage door, front door, and beams under upper porch I believe should all be stained a darker brown. How do you feel about that?

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

At the Sherwin williams store now and shoji white looks closer to the other house and I'll get a pint but Greek villa looks way to white, no? ANY other suggestions?

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok I just figured the shoji white and I got pacer white. The other white you suggested looked way too light. Lookup pacer and tell me your opinion. I'll try them tomorrow and take more pics

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ivory is nice for trim but I'm using the off white for the body of my home and it can't be too late because we get a lot of white and it just blasts out the color and looks too harsh. Mary did you see the pics I posted above of the marble white?

Marble white is lighter color against trim in second pic

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And I've since painted on a second coat of blue note which is the trim on the right side and it looks even better, a little richer

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ignore the white on the very top above the top of the trim it's a different white entirely

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo when I get a chance ill post pics of the 3 coats of blue note I did all over, even over days end (the dark grey). I also painted SW shoji white and another white I got, the name escapes me at the moment next time the BMW marble white to compare. In the dark (I painted at night) they didn't look as good as marble but we'll see in the daylight. If they don't work then I'm still in search of the perfect cream color akin to inspiration house simply for a final comparison. I'll post the new photos as soon as I take them in the light! Soooooo close to being done with this frustrating yet fun journey with paint and color! Weeew

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And while we're at it...look into Mary's suggestion of SW White Duck and tell me if it might be one to try or if it's too light. Thanks

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And so you know, I don't trust my friends advice that much at all becuse she doesn't like the look of my inspiration house, doesn't like succor, doesn't like Mediterranean homes period and doesn't like our tile roof! So obviously she's nuts...haha...and has a TOTALLY different tastes in homes. But I am sticking to my original desire anyways to find another white option. Is it even posible to find an off white with the same level of richness (not too light or too dark) as marble but with less yellow in it and more red or beige or whatever it is that's in inspiration house's white? There's got to be one similar to it!

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

two coats of blue note on both sides I believe and marble in between. Fyi my mom is loving the combination so I'm happy with that. At bottom of believe is shoji from SW which is a no go and top above marble is the other color I still have to look at again to name it but is also a no go

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

three coats of blue note here and marble is the color to right and at. Bottom I believe is shoji and outermost white is the other SW color.

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

three coats of blue note and marble white immediate below it. Below marble is shoji and at right top is also shoji I believe

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

here's the photo I described above

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Shoji and the other white I got are no gos. I wish I had one more perfect color to compare marble to so I can have two great colors to compare. We shall see. If you come up with anything let me know. Look at the garage shot of other house again and tell me if you have any other ideas. Bus as for now my mom loved the marble and blue note, my hairdresser and my best friend is coming over tomorrow to see if person to give her two cents. Also I'm lobbying for my mom's best friend who is a fantastic painter (paintings not homes) to come over and give her opinion. I love it but just want to make sure people I respect and have taste like mine will love it too. Flo you did a killer job and nailed it from day one!! Literally, these were your first pics! Check out the white Mary suggested called white duck by SW and tell me if it would be too light or a good option. Otherwise I still keep missing the light when it's really hitting the wall by the street to make sure it looks good in that light do and as soon as I get a pic of that I'll send it over.

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Otherwise, how are you? How was your day? I hope it turned out well in the end. Hopefully you can relax soon! I adore you Flo...Flo Mangan, the gem of the South: )

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I had a fantastic couple days. Just been with some great people. I will take a look and get back shortly.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I have gone through my SW and my BM decks and as soon as you add a brown tone for that Taupe addition, you run the risk of purple/lavender undertones, because the Taupe has those tints. SW White Duck, has a gray look and I think would look what we call "muddy" on your house. I looked again at your inspiration house, and that body of paint is really peach/pink on my screen but I don't recommend going in that direction, so the only other one (in my artificial light here in my office at night) is OC-95 Navajo White, which has a bit more creamy than Marble White and you might try that. Navajo White is a popular color, I'm just not crazy about it. More for a adobe look, but you might like it in your light. I keep coming back to Marble White, although it is lighter than Navajo White, but I think it works best with the Blue Note. But, again, I'm not seeing its true color there in your light. I may have a sample of Nav White in my "sample" stock. I will look tomorrow (only got 3 hours sleep last night) and see if I do, and if so, I'll check it out here in Texas light! That is all I can do for tonight. I'll check back tomorrow. I do have a noon appointment that is going to last for several hours, so I'll see what I can do.

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

TO begin with, I'm very glad you had a great few days. I had a great day yesterday for numerous reason :))). anyways. yes their white, while it looks cream in certain lights does have pink peach undertones. I love it on their home but as I've learned, what looks good on one may not on another and just may not work on mine. everyone is loving marble and the blue note combo.

including me but I'm just curious to see how a color like theirs would look, just to see. yes I thought Navajo was the closest...and my contractor friend echoed your sentiment exactly . nights ago when he and I spoke about it he said that while he personally doesn't like it. that's it's a very popular that's been around for a long time. he said it can work on some homes, and that's about it. Ok this might be my last little quart to purchase because if it doesn't look as good as marble then my search is OVER! never thought I'd be saying that in a relatively short period of time. yippeee and goodnight !

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just fyi, I honestly don't want darker than marble. I wish I could find the same "shade" or body of color only with that bit of creamy white and touches of peach and a tad bit of pink. that's how I'd describe their white. I think their white is a similar shade to marble only with the added peach

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I looked this morning at these colors, and have one more thought. I am back with SW Gardedia SW-6665, but try it at 50% white. They can mix that for your and do it routinely, so it can be as consistent as you can get. This is a light beige with pink undertones. I think if we add 50% pure white to it, it might hit the right note for you. Full strength, I think it will have too much "color" for you, but I think you are leaning toward some pink undertone. Peach would work too, but with peach you get more yellow, which I don't think you are drawn to. So, that is my mind wonderings for this morning. Got to go. Lots on my plate today! I'll check on you later this afternoon. But you have a mission for the day now! lol

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I just got back. I just noticed auto check misspelled the paint color. The number was correct though. It should have said Gardenia. Hope you figured that out. Hoping you got the reassurance you needed today.
  • Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ya know what , I think I'm done for the moment. I'll check on that gardenia white combo soon but marble it is. I'm in love and can't imagine anything pretty perfect. I'm curious just to see how that Gardenia combo looks but again everyone including you and myself is in love with 3 coats of blue note and marble white. should I do a paint and primer in one for marble white or prime it twice before I paint or what ? I don't want any of the previous colors whoring through. and wouldn't you agree with me that a darker stained garage, front door and beams under upper porch would look much better to the brown they're now? I don't know what brown I'd call the perfect stain color but any ideas?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    I would definitely get the BM recommended primer for both colors. They tint the primers specifically for your color. Ask the most knowledgeable BM person for advice. I have used the two in one primer/paint with mixed success. So get info.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    As for stain, your pics are not real revealing. So hard to say. Darker would make them stand out more. On the inspiration they look painted? That garage door looks in pretty bad shape. It needs repair? Maybe you could shoot some better pics?
  • Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll get better pics of garage and front door and beams. as for trim...I'm back to loving days end a wee bit more. the consensus with friends is about 50/50. Marble is the white and it's suits both perfectly so I'm good with that. how would each trim color fade ? blue note would only get lighter and I don't think I'd like that. but days end could handle lightening up a little I feel. my contractor friend said they're so similar (though different) that side to side from far away the difference is almost imperceptible...perhaps not to your eye, but to the lay person's eye. again days on left and again to the glass on both sides and blue note on right. whites in background are not the correct marble white so please ignore. I'm undecided ! but unlike any election , I DO have to vote because I want to paint this dang house. help!!b what to do?

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

On bottom left trim is not days end so again please ignore that

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

As for the garage it works great ! well, after we just spent $1000 buckaroos to repair and electrical issues that prevented it from opening but it's fixed and good as new. now I can't recall whether it was painted or stained. front door is definitely stained. I'll get info on all three (beams included ) and then I'll ask for tips but for now , what stain or color would you envision? we'll save all that for last after we paint house. but I welcome your feedback on hues

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    By "faded" i meant with direct sunlight your eye will see a less potent color. In looking at your samples Days End is going to go purple on you. So you have to decide. Blue prime look, or purple? When you get a whole lot up you might see it more. But if you like it then do it. You know i prefer the Blue Note but that is me. You are unique so be unnique.
  • Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's my concern, that days end since it's not just a straightforward gray will fade out and the purple will come out more. hmm. I won't like that question, why do you prefer blue note ? how come you aren't as in love with days end as well ? you see, I like both so I'm struggling but I will decide soon. what is it about daya end that you don't like. I know you said it has too much black in it, do you mean you think it's too dark ? uhhh. my contractor friend votes for blue note as well and I dearly trust him.

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh I see you're saying if I paint more days end then I'd see more of the purple . I already see it in my small sample spaces . OK I definitely don't want purple .

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Another question, we will probably go with blue note but I like the three coats look. my contractor friend said painters are going to charge a lot of money if I start requesting more coats . is that necessarily true? he can't do the Job for us at the moment so well have to get another painting crew

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

And fyi, yes the inspiration house does have a painted garage door and the small wooden decorative beams near roof (whatever those things are called), we have similar ones under our porch though they're much larger. but I like the wood look and think painting our garage the trim color won't look as nice as a wood look. we already have a trim around our garage where the blue note would go, and then the garage itself would be a stain. I'll take pics today

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

here's the garage door. see blue note would go where trim is and do you think a darker stain would be nice ? and I've decided, no days end. You're right it has too much purple and I realized once the porch trims are painted the purple in the Grey won't look as good as the blue. on as small space it's pretty though and a beautiful color but natural not appropriate here. here is the front door. and the wooden beams. all same stain as of now and wish to restain them all a darker brown, wouldn't you agree?

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

another photo of blue note, 3 coats and marble white below and to the right. the Sherwin williams whites are also in the mix but just disregard those. photo taken at 1pm Pacific Standard time. lovin' it!!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I think I would go for a dark walnut color stain. Don't go mahogany because that has red undertones which isn't best with the Blue Note. The Walnut has gray undertones so it would be beautiful IMO. We are getting there!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Just saw photo. YES!! With a dark walnut stain (some repairs probably needed to garage door, in other words, prep that wood properly to preserve and get your best stained look. Easy to want to impatiently jump past that step. Don't. lol

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo your are seriously incredibly talented and such a lovely person, I wish I knew you personally. for some reason I thought you were in Mississippi, but you're in Texas ? should I ever come out that way I'd love to meet your for dinner. should I ever have a design dilemma again I'm coming to you for advice . I hope you make a fine living because you certainly deserve it and have earned it!

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh got it. Prep wood first, as in sand it down, etc.? the experts will know I'm sure when I tell them it needs to be prepped first

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Danielle - that is so kind and I would LOVE to meet you and have a wonderful dinner together. Call me! I am in a community south of Houston! I can't wait to see your place finished. It is going to be a showstopper for sure! If you want, you can write a "review for me" on Houzz to extol my virtues! lol

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I thought the same thing about mahogany having too much red in it for this color palette. excellent , walnut it is ! now we just need to find a good painting crew. would you recommend the three coats of blue note for trim ?

• Danielle Sheremetiev
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh I will be writing a 5 star review when project is completed with pics and all. so excited. yes I'll keep your number handy.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Yes, sand, repair little spots that might be too open with a wood filler, use proper prepping agent, stain, let dry thoroughly, stain again for depth of stain color, then do 2-3 coat finish coats. Satin finish or natural finish. We don't want a lot of reflection off those items. Thanks again for your wonderful comments. I enjoy so many great clients and folks here on Houzz that I can't tell you how wonderful this community is for everyone! Thanks Houzz!!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

I think you might be OK with 2 coats for the trim ($$ always thinking of cost), but you can decide what is best. You have been working with small spots and when you see everything in context, you can make that determination. Watch the Walnut colors because I don't know what the wood is so you need to "test those out" as well. (Are you having fun yet!?) A deep walnut is the trick! Probably at least two coats of stain. Thanks for being so patient and really doing your homework on this. That is just the work that it takes to get a really great outcome. Beautiful.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Any news to report?