Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stelmowalker

Staining honey oak cabinets cherry with gel stain

stelmowalker
7 years ago
Hi.
I want to stain my honey oak cabinets cherry. I am probably goi g to get a professional to do it, but have no idea of the cost. I was also considering sanding them lightly and applying generals gel stain. Does anyone have any input?
Thanks in advance,
Jane

Comments (11)

• gtcircus
    7 years ago
    Yes you can stain the cabinets a darker stain, but not over the top of the existing finish. The cabinets would have to be stripped and stained and frankly it won't be worth it financially. If you want mahogany or cherry cabinets, may I suggest contacting a vendor about refacing your cabinets which would give you a much better professional look. This can be accomplished with maple faces that are stained cherry and it will look right. Oak is an open grained wood and it will never look right stained cherry or mahogany. Cherry and mahogany are closed or tight grained woods similar to maple which is why that wood will take the stain and look like cherry. Good luck.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

It's time to let the cabinetry go. Or invest several weekends or more in DIY paint. they just don't deserve more money. Not in refacing either : ) Sorry.

• stelmowalker
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure I'm ready to let them go yet , as they are still in good condition. I see where it would not be worth trying to restain them now. However, I may put new hardware on them and spend the cabinet money in another area that needs upgrading.
    Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 years ago

In another post you were trying to keep the "honey oak" cabinets. I assume that is your decision and that you are moving on to other things...leaving the cabinets as they are.

• stelmowalker
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi,
    I'm still having a hard time deciding. I'm between painting them and just leaving them as is.
  • gtcircus
    7 years ago
    My brother had similar oak cabinets at his lake house this is how they solved the issue - without replacing.
  • calidesign
    7 years ago

If you are unsure about painting or leaving them, think about what you are trying to accomplish in that room. Are you doing it to update the space? Or to brighten the space? Or because the finish is worn? If you are trying to have them look better or more updated, I think painting or replacing them is your only option. But if you have a limited budget and are looking for updates, perhaps there are other ways you can update your kitchen - new appliances, updated lighting, wall paint, etc.

• Lou Lee
    7 years ago
    I'm currently updating honey oak cabinets in my half bath. I'm using General Finishes gel stain, their antique walnut color. It's very easy and while I've only just applied one coat, they look a million times better already.
  • hollyhock3
    7 years ago

I was at the paint store today to buy some stain for my honey oak table. The owner showed me a sample of oak that had been painted, and how the grain of the oak showed through the paint. I was very impressed. She mentioned that you need to sand first, then use a good primer and good paint. I would go to a local paint store where they will give you advice about how to paint them yourself. Before my own kitchen reno, I changed the hardware on my honey oak cabinets to stainless steel and it did make a difference to me. I could live with it a few years longer.

• stelmowalker
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you for the pictures and the input about painting or staining them.
    I am actually putting in new granite counters and s ceramic floor , so if I'm going to that expense, I want the cabinets to be nice. I'm leaning toward the painting option. I'm working on a budget to do the kitchen. At this point I don't want to completely replace the cabinets. I think I am leaning toward the painting as my choice. A cream color will be what I go for.