Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peaches05

Any houzz followers up for some design challenges in family room? ;)

peaches05
7 years ago
I'm hoping some houzz followers will have a good design eye to offer some possible solutions to any or all of my room challenges. I have a family room in the middle of adjoining living room and adjoining sunroom. *1st- Now that I have filled in those 2 area rugs, I need to choose a rug for my main family room that won't clash or compete with those two rooms. Is it possible to find some type of softer wool and not too dark against sectional--yet maybe some type of raised print or subtle pattern as well??? *2nd-I need to find the right coffee table/ottoman for our sectional. (I had a good recommendation from er612 on different thread few weeks ago --while working more on sunroom-- but ends up it is too small. And *3rd-I REALLY would Love suggestions on how to create the right balance in my media corner. I need to keep the "snake charmer" basket because it contains all our media equipment. But I can't have a lonely basket there. Also, I can't have it become too "busy and clustered" either. :( And to make it trickier, I have a tall WWII propeller opposite that corner to "balance" in the room. --I will add pics to show some personal rug finds for opinions.

Comments (13)

• Darzy
    7 years ago

I think the sectional will work better in the other room and bring the sofa into the tv room. The sectional is too large to be floating in the family room.

• peaches05
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Adjacent rooms
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Consider a sisal looking wool rug. It will be neutral yet have texture and won't be scratchy like actual sisal.Bring color from the other two rugs into the living area with pillows and accessories.

Cary Bernstein Architect Potrero Residence · More Info

• peaches05
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@ calidesign, thank you! I'd love to find a solid rug with some textured pattern; I like some of your ideas; I didn't consider option of having a wool carpet cut or maybe even a deep blue! As for the propeller, I think it has to stay standing there. Hopefully, when I add some pictures later to the walls it will help tie that in. The glass table is nice since it is more open but my family wants something softer to put their feet up on. Thinking of tufted, leather ottoman with open base, but so hard to find in a square between 36" to 40" W and at least 18" H ....and not $2k! So many ottomans are either too bulky, too small, or too cheaply made...ugh...

• peaches05
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@ decoenthusiaste, where can I find sisal looking wool rugs? and do they come with thicker depth?

• Carol Johnson
    7 years ago
    Carpet stores will have broadloom that can be sized & finished as area rugs.
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

I've seen them on Overstock and Home Decorators websites. I've always been pleased with HD quality and service. As for thickness, I'm not sure.

• peaches05
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @ Darzy, sorry, missed your post above. The sectional actually is in the largest of the 3 rooms and cozy for the fireplace. The pics probably don't do it justice. I'll try to post another pic that actually shows all the empty space still behind the sectional (to be filled w sofa/console table & 2 ottomans tucked beneath perhaps).
  • peaches05
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I like the look of these rugs...not sure of material feel and wondering how others think it plays out in the room against the dark gray sectional and adjacent rooms..?
  • jck910
    7 years ago

The TV would drive me crazy blocking the window. Is there any way you can put it flat against the wall and move the chair from left of FP and pull sectional closer to FP then have the 2 chairs side-by-side?

• peaches05
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The tv does swivel to lie flat so we wouldn't want to move the furniture layout. We have really nice views of other open windows on either side of adjacent room the way we have it now. The flow from all 3 is actually pretty comfortable in many ways; moving it closer in to fireplace would leave huge awkward area behind it. The pics may not do it justice. But the tv does lie flat against the wall it's on at least too.
  • PRO
    Nicola Interiors
    7 years ago

Is there a better position for the TV? Here you can see a few options from our designs included below.

Urban Elegance On The Lakefront · More Info

Leeward Renovation · More Info