Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tgstockdale

Master Bath with Sink & Vanity In Bedroom Dilemma

T Stock
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am stumped about how to cost effectively remodel our master bathroom to solve the issue of a sink/vanity in the bedroom area. The sink area is carpeted like the bedroom. Across from the sink is the door to the closet. The bathroom itself has another sink, a smaller shower, and a drop-in tub. I'd like to update all, but solving the issue of the sink in the bathroom is a priority. Ideas for updating are sooo appreciated. Willing to replace floor, shower, tub, sinks & vanities. But, don't really want to move the sink into the bathroom. Although I don't like the setup - I do like it that I can use the sink while someone else uses the bathroom. Also, these photos were shot while everything was a mess - normally not this messy, so just ignore the mess, ok? You'll see the view into the bathroom area from the bedroom - sinks on right, closet on left, tub straight ahead, shower & toilet to left inside bathroom door. Also adding a photo of a potential door idea in between bedroom and vanity/sink area - that's NOT my bathroom - just a question about the door idea - and adding a photo of a tub surround idea that I'd like with beadboard. (Those first 2 photos aren't my bathrrom.) Seriously looking for your suggestions. Thanks.

Comments (10)

• acm
    7 years ago

That is a confusing mass of photos!!

I guess my main question would be, do you need a sink inside and outside the bath? The obvious choices here are either to remove the latter (making another closet, say), or to move the door to the bathroom forward so that it encompasses both vanities or a new double vanity (adding more tile), or to leave it as it is (either with a second sink or just with a counter and mirror, if this is mostly a makeup area). If you like it the way it is, then what is the issue? Are you planning to sell soon?

T Stock thanked acm
  • auntthelma
    7 years ago

I like the sink outside the bathroom. It's a handy way to allow two people to use the bathroom at the same time.

But if you don't like it, my suggestion is to make that area an extension of your closet. Extra closet space is a luxury.

T Stock thanked auntthelma
  • T Stock
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! YES - it is a very confusing mass of photos!! Sorry. The first one was the door idea that might work to separate the sink from the bedroom. Do you like it? Also, I do plan to see in 5 years, but for now, I want to update the whole bathroom - new sinks, vanities, shower, tub, floor - all for less than $20k if possible. I'd like a nice transitional look. I've gotten several estimates, and it's ended up leaving me a bit confused. I DO like having the sink outside the bathroom - just feels like it is in the bedroom. When I get up early, I can't brush my teeth without waking up my husband. I am open to the idea of opening up the master closet - and it would give lots more room, but might feel like now the sink is in the closet.

• T Stock
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Do you think the door between the bedroom and vanity area is necessary if we are changing the flooring to match the bathroom?

• T Stock
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The last photo is looking into the bathroom from the bedroom. There is a photo at the sink that is IN the bathroom that is shot looking out toward the bedroom. There is a sink in the bathroom and a sink outside the bathroom.

• auntthelma
    7 years ago

I think you mixed us up because you titled your dilemma "sink outside the bathroom" but what you really want are decorating ideas to update the bath.

So, I think any carpenter can frame and install a door between the bedroom and the closet/sink hallway.

I don't think the floor needs to be the same between the bedroom and the sink area.

I think you would love it if you updated that shower!

• Sandybean
    7 years ago
    I would definitely put a door between bedroom and vanity area. Any door would work. The one you posted would be nice. Is it possible to put a pocket door where your bathroom door is now? I would want one solid floor from bathroom thru vanity area. Don't care for rugs in an area where water and cosmetics are used. If you're going to replace tub, I would suggest a soaking tub.
  • rmur
    7 years ago

Try to use floor warming in vanity area and in front of the other sink. Have it, LOVE IT.

• gina2385
    6 years ago

Did you get it done, I would love to see pictures.