Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dscar81

Need advice on living room

dscar81
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone -

attached are pics of my living room (BEFORE pics are of the light grey which I've had for around 5 years) and the second set is the "new" style.

I'm HATING the taupe color - turned our way more traditional than I wanted and now I hate the idea of that color.

Below is a link to my pinterest board so you can see the idea of what I was going for - lux but cozy.

https://www.pinterest.com/txncali81/interior-design/

any advice? All ideas are welcomed :)

Comments (13)

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think it is the navy wall that is problematic, but the real issue is the lack of, or very narrow trim throughout. The richer colors call for richness in the trim, IMO.

• dscar81
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm thinking the same about all navy - I'm worried it might be too dark, but I do have 3 large windows so maybe it won't be that bad.

• er612
    7 years ago

• dscar81
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@er612 - I actually already have blue curtains on those walls :)

I'm debating on the following:

- paint all the walls the blue color

- swap out the curtains with white/light grey curtains

- remove red pillow and add in more beige/grey/white/neutral pillows

Now just trying to think of what to do for artwork..

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    I think the problem may be that the new color is dark and sucks the life out of the room, especially at night. The previous color was pale and the room looked light. I'm tired of gray, too. Maybe you should try a light taupe-beige color. I have used Cameo by DunnEdwards in Los Angeles for years.. It is a pale creamy barely-golden off-white which goes with everything: all woods, red brick, Oriental rugs, blues and reds. Very versatile.
  • PRO
    Poovi Art
    7 years ago

Here's some suggestion for your wall you might like......to know more about my Art work and collections please visit my shop on Etsy website -

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooviArtGallery?ref=pr_shop_more

• havingfun
    7 years ago

although i love your pinterest board, i adore blue, especially dark blue. i think you have confused dark and cozy. everything there points to blue and dark gray being what you truly want. i would paint the whole room dark blue. make the space brighter with the use of metals and perhaps some brights in pillows. or embrace the darkness.

also, i think your white curtains or sheers are a great idea, white or mainly light pillows on a darkish couch just look like big white holes. they need to be more patterned, darker or brighter to work well.

curtains

Sheer Twist Tab Curtain Panel | Joss & Main · More Info

Window Treatments Under $50 · More Info
    pillows
    Oversized Mocha Mongolian Faux Fur Lumbar Pillow | World Market · More Info

Neo Chinoiserie Toile Indigo Pillow · More Info

Amazon.com: Brylanehome Indiana 16" Round Pillow (Blue,0): Home & Kitchen · More Info

BLUEBIRD FLOWERS PILLOW | Zazzle · More Info

Modern Decorative & Throw Pillows | AllModern · More Info

• havingfun
    7 years ago

Coffee Tables - Free Shipping | Wayfair · More Info

Design Toscano Art Deco Petite Caddie End Table & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

Silver Ceramic Accent Stool : Target · More Info

Jenson Floor Lamp & Reviews | Joss & Main · More Info

Lamps - Home Lamp Collection | At Home Stores · More Info

• rcarterworld
    7 years ago

I would get rid of the navy wall. I think it is way too dark with your existing furniture. I would also nix the blue curtains and opt for something in a neutral (off white or light grey). If you like, you can also do neutral pillows and add a hint of blue on the grey couch. Replace the existing art with something with a hint of blue in it to tie in with the blue pillow that you will have on the couch. I would also hang the curtains a little bit higher.

• calidesign
    7 years ago

The blue wall doesn't work with your gray and black furniture, and the taupe you chose is too dark. I can see why you were going for taupe, with the tan carpet, but you also have to work with the gray and black furniture. I would paint all the walls a light color, between a tan and gray, like BM Revere Pewter. Then add in some natural textures and colors to soften the room. Right now, almost all of your furniture is dark and squared with hard edges. Use taupe linen drapes on the windows. Add a live plant. Replace your mirror squares with a large round one. Add some fluffy pillows.

• PRO
    Charles Neal Interiors
    7 years ago

Below are just a few images of our design projects that we think might help here. Notice the blues, browns, and whites in all of the photos? Perhaps what is needed here is white to help bring the two other colors together.

HGTV Showhouse Showdown TV show · More Info

Miami Condo · More Info

Posh Estate · More Info

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    7 years ago

The blue is much nicer than the taupe.

You can use modern artwork to spruce things up. Check out our artwork for ideas. Many colors and sizes to choose from: www.ShoaGallery.com

Coupon code FB15NOV16 will get you 15% off until Monday.

Some suggestions below. Enjoy decorating!

This orange has a lot of hot blue in it.