Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_hutchenswevill

Will my kitchen be too white with white subway tile and grout???

Hey all.

I'm remodeling our kitchen and we are down to the wire. I've gone with white on white and getting ready for backsplash. I'm worried that with white subway it might get too white but then I'm thinking that with my hardwood floors stained a darker color and with accent pieces in my kitchen like red, etc., that the white will be fine.

Any ideas? I need to make a decision my morning. Help please!!!

Comments (51)

• PRO
    moico inc.
    7 years ago

All white is always fantastic ! The fabulous view out your window is already a beautiful pop of colour!

• Manon Floreat
    7 years ago

I agree. I think it will look great!

West University - Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

sigh.....that's all anybody does now. white subways!

What a beautiful kitchen! All the beautiful tile out there and you want plain old white subway??!! lol. I would at least jazz it up with a tile layout or glass or something!

Imagine walking the red carpet in a beautiful Halston halter gown and wearing tiny gold stud earrings. To me, that's what plain subways would be. Hey, it will look perfectly fine. If you want fine, then do white subways. If you want, "Wow!" pick something else.

• User
    7 years ago

My vote goes to white subway with white grout! Winning!

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    7 years ago

Minimize the contrast with a continuation of your countertop material. You have a minimal amount of space to work with here. Anything you do would be so interrupted by the window. More of a seamless approach is in order. Lovely kitchen!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

ok,,,found a few different ones. i seem to be outvoted. go with the plain white. Here is what it will resemble...

Stunning White Shaker Kitchen - Tenafly, NJ · More Info

• PRO
    7 years ago

And Beth H, applause! White subway tile has become somewhat of a joke in our industry. While it will always have its place (original to the early 1900's + historical homes, and in keeping with a few later designs), it is the go to for the unoriginal and will be the hallmark of 2010-2020. And when there are more options than ever before.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

Thank you Dragonfly! I feel the same way. Lets play it safe and do "white subway" because it will never go out of style! 10 years ago you only saw it in pre-1930 homes. Now it's the "go-to" tile for every kitchen and bath. Yawnsville.

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

White will be nice but does it have to be subway?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 years ago

I think it looks great, and will be just fine!! That said, and since your cook is on the island, take a peek at this one: It's fantastic with your tops and a bit more texture. Crossville/griffin/white. It's one of my all time favorites. No grout necessary : )

https://www.google.com/search?q=crossville+griffin+in+white&biw=1920&bih=860&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJsNX8za_QAhUSfiYKHdU_ApMQsAQIKg#imgrc=OvwMVb1hA0WJjM%3A

• Dale Hadley
    7 years ago

I love white subway. I went with the handcrafted style to give it more shine. The only thing i would suggest is a deeper grout such as pale grey. It makes the tile pop and also easier to keep clean especially behind your stove.

• PRO
    Premier Designs
    7 years ago

I'd like a subtle contrast on your backsplash, pulling from the counters or flooring, I think white tile would be too much white.

• felizlady
    7 years ago
    Just be sure the subway tile goes with your counters...bring three or four "whites" home to compare undertones. You can do white or light gray grout. If you want some color, use kitchen towels, canisters or any other accessories. Your kitchen looks very good.
  • Carrie Hutchens Wevill
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Okay. Any thoughts on these?
  • Carrie Hutchens Wevill
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    These add a lot of the texture which I like.
  • Carrie Hutchens Wevill
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This basket weave is nice too and has some black in it to compliment my black window however I just wonder if it might be too busy with the wood in my glass cabinets?
  • Carrie Hutchens Wevill
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The white subway I'd chosen at first was way too white and glossy for my counters so I'm looking at alternatives.
  • Jennifer Havin
    7 years ago

I love white subway, if you do too and that is what you had picked out, do the white subway. I would as some have suggested use a light gray grout from your counters. You have done a beautiful job so far, go with your gut and what YOU love

Carrie Hutchens Wevill thanked Jennifer Havin
  • PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    7 years ago

The first one - it looks to be a glazed tile, with a subtle iridescence... that would be amazing for both textural and color variation and brings out the variegation in your countertops. You can have it set with off set grout joints, to create a subway-esque look, with a little update. Your kitchen is looking fabulous!

Carrie Hutchens Wevill thanked Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

That glazed tile is excellent - I love the sort of brick look. I'm also a fan of the basket, but I agree that it's a bit busy for your cabinets.

Carrie Hutchens Wevill thanked 123 Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    7 years ago

I like youre first choice, installing these now for a shower they have a nice handmade feel to them- best

• PRO
    7 years ago

The first one. Nice texture and color contrast.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

Carrie,,,,I like the gray ones you've chosen as well. the texture is nice and I really like the color. Can you do an accent design behind the stove perhaps? Maybe a herringbone? Who makes those? Are those from FireClay by any chance??

Tundra, love those tiles. Is that a soft gray? hard to tell from the lighting. I'm going to guess those are on the pricey side since they are made in Italy???

Carrie Hutchens Wevill thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Whiski Kitchen Design Studio
    7 years ago

I think the white subway tile would look great! It will keep your kitchen fresh, bright, and open.

• acm
    7 years ago

I was going to suggest gray, and I think your first choice is perfect -- will help emphasize the veining in your counters, and bring a bit of texture, without being too busy or intrusive. We have a winner!!

Carrie Hutchens Wevill thanked acm
  • Carrie Hutchens Wevill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hey Everyone:

Okay, first of all, thanks so much for all your advice. I seriously feel like I'm getting an ulcer! ha ha. We are not only doing the kitchen, but three bathrooms too and all my choices have been immediate except for this backsplash. To top it all off, I'm a perfectionist in every way so I feel the complete need to control every last minute detail of this whole project!!! ugh

I've decided to go with this one:

This is a second home for my and my hubby and on my way home, after I'd made the final decision and was okay with it, I thought, wow...I didn't even check to see if it goes with my paint!!! So, I'm still stressing out over this. This tile is really nice though...it has a good variance in it of soft gray, some white and even some black.

I painted my walls Sherwin Williams Amazing Gray (which is amazing by the way), but now worried about the tile going with my paint color and I just drove 1.5 hours home, so it will be interesting to see how it all turns out. I hope that I don't regret not going with the white subway.

Someone asked who this tile was by. I took a pic of the boxes and here is that photo:

I purchased this at Lowe's because that is the only place I could go at 7am and get what I needed to be on-hand today for the tile guy. I hope it works out....

Okay, stay tuned!!!! I'll be posting a picture of my kitchen after I see the results next week.

I'll also be having this unique amazing "windmill" fan installed in the great room. I'm so excited about this fan!!!!

https://s3.img-b.com/image/private/c_lpad,f_auto,h_320,t_base,w_320/v1/product/quoruminternational/quorum-international-97215-86.jpg

So, I'm in for some treats when I return but in the meantime, I'm going to be super worried about my backsplash choice!!!

Thanks again!!!

• Carrie Hutchens Wevill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh...by the way, Beth....these were not pricey at all. I spent maybe $175 for all the tile and will probably have a case left to return. One of the cheaper decisions I've made for sure!!!

• PRO
    Dutchess County Tile
    7 years ago
    You can put a feature band of a different tile in for a little pop if you don't want it all white. But the all white kitchen is back in style
  • northface99
    7 years ago

Well, I'm weighing in late but glad you did not pick the basket weave. If anyone in your life has issues w/patterns or gets bonked on the head, you will be glad to have a less aggressive tile! And friendlier, too.

• emmarene9
    7 years ago

I love the one you picked. Don't forget to post the after photo.

• acm
    7 years ago

Also, honestly, paint is so much cheaper and easier than all the other finishes -- if you have to change that a couple of shades to make everything work, just do it! I'd be happy to come over and help! (you know, if I knew where you lived.)

• amhers104
    7 years ago
    Love your kitchen. What is the name of the countertop? Is it Torquay quartz?
  • Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    You could get something like this, still basically white but certainly adds a bit of interest, very classy. Lovely kitchen
  • sahai6
    7 years ago

Carrie,

It is a beautiful backsplash tile.

Is it a ceramic tile? I was unable to find it at Lowe's site.

Thank you,

Mindy

• Dale Hadley
    7 years ago

Itene Morresey, they are so pretty. Where are they sold?

• sahai6
    7 years ago

Irene,

Are these tiles marble or mixture of marble and glass?

Mindy

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

the name is there, New Ravenna. it's mother of pearl and Thassos marble. Magdalena Stone Mosaic. you can purchase them at specific retailers. And i'm going to venture a guess that they are 'no cheap date'!

http://newravenna.photoshelter.com/gallery/Studio-Line/G0000uNcU9.WRTDk/C0000eFlDSX30jQA

• Carrie Hutchens Wevill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hello All, I started receiving some activity on my thread and realized that I'd never posted After pics. I'm very happy that I did not go with the white subway tile. I was in a rush to pick my tile because until the very last second, I was set on white subway and then the morning the installer was showing, I decided to change and had to pick from what was in stock at Lowes.

I wish I had a better picture to show you. I'm going to do some nice photos with my good camera once we are completely done but every time I get there (this is a second home for us), I get busy trying to complete things. To the left of the cabinets, I'm going to build a booth type seating that will make everything look complete. l also included a "before" picture. There is a door to the left that you cannot see in the pictures which is why we removed the door on the back wall.

• Carrie Hutchens Wevill
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh, excuse the fork and spoon decorations! ha ha. I had those leftover from another project and those were all I had at the moment. That wall area will be changing once I start my booth style seating project. Super excited to start that.

• sums4you
    7 years ago
    Beautiful! Excellent selection of backsplash!
  • PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    7 years ago

That looks great! Glad you switched up from the white backsplash -

• lillie549
    7 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, is your counter to Quartz? Do you remember the brand and name?

• Irene Morresey
    7 years ago
    Looks lovely, you have done well
  • taurus_ma
    7 years ago

Hi Carrie! I'm having the same issue with picking out a non-busy backsplash to go with my new countertops, and about to tear my hair out! Lol . Can you tell me which tiles are on both the right and left in this pic? I love them! Many thanks! Your kitchen is beautiful!

• sheilaskb
    6 years ago

If you think white subway tile is too plain, add a narrow border tile in black or metallic silver for a bit of contrast that still will go with all colors.

• Dale Hadley
    6 years ago

I love white subway, but prefer handcrafted because if how it catches the light. I do however prefer it with a deeper colored grout. I chose light gray & im very happy with it.

• Jimmieann Turner
    3 years ago

I would like suggestions. We're redoing our kitchen and can't decide on a backsplash. The cabinets are painted Lazy Gray by Serwin Williams. The countertop is quartz. It's not a white white. Thus the dilemma. I am adding pictures for your suggestions, please.

• Carrie Hutchens Wevill
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello: I would take a piece of your quartz with you to either a tile store of Lowes and try to find a tile that would look nice with it. There are A LOT of options...I'm sure it will be beautiful. I ended up going with an offwhite subway for my backsplash in my kitchen and it came out beautiful!!!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Jimmieann. please start your own post.

but, you already have a backsplash. it's that's 4" piece. if you wanted tile, you shouldn't have had that installed. However, if it's two pieces, you can score it and gently pry it off the wall.

I'd also recommend a counter depth fridge in a SS when you get the chance.