Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lulujack1

Kitchen design issues

Lucy Nelson
7 years ago
We are seriously discussing a complete kitchen renovation. I've always struggled with envisioning a layout due to the complicated placement of the exterior door leading to our driveway. This is a heavily utilized door but it's preventing us from having much needed countertop and cabinet space. I would hate to get rid of the door but it may be our only option to achieve a nice, functional kitchen. Any other ideas about the layout?

Comments (17)

• Lucy Nelson
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes! Anything can be done. I plan to gut the whole thing and replace everything except one appliance (dishwasher... which is not visible in the picture but is currently contained in the peninsula)
  • Steph
    7 years ago

If you are open for a gut and need help with layout, I would hire a Kitchen Designer to help. It will be worth the price in the long run.

• Lucy Nelson
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm very open to that
  • PRO
    Doug Walter Architect
    7 years ago

I agree with Barbara that a drop in range/cooktop in the peninsula would greatly improve the other end of the kitchen, where range is now; it could then be a bank of cabinets, starting with a lazy susan. Make sure the peninsula is wide enough that the burners aren't too close to little fingers sitting on the other side. Widen it if necessary.

Taking out the soffits would allow you to use 42 inch uppers, which give you TONS more cabinet space. And don't forget to pay attention to lighting; ideally recessed cans over counter edges and LED undercabinet lights! Good luck.

• Lucy Nelson
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you, Doug! I agree with all your suggestions. The soffit must go. And thankfully my husband is an electrician so the lighting will be a piece of cake :)
  • Emily Jowers
    7 years ago

Can you post a floor plan with measurements?

• namarie
    7 years ago

The Gardenweb section of Houzz has a Kitchen Forum that is frequented by a number of kitchen designers and other professionals who are very helpful if you can give them exact measurements of your space.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I don't care for a cooktop on a peninsula, for safety's sake--if you have seating the overhang needs to be deeper--plus, the hood will cut off the sight lines. A wall behind a cooktop and hood will help contain the steam and grease plume, and wall hoods are generally less expensive than comparable island hoods.

This is just a guess at the measurements, from estimating the widths
    of the appliances. The door and window stay in the same locations, but
    if you wanted to move the door toward the center of the wall, the 24"
    cabinet could be reduced to 18". There are no uppers except for the
    cabinet to the right of the sink, and the cabinets over the fridge and
    MW, but there is a full-height pantry cabinet, and you could have a 27"
    upper between the range hood and door.

I was imagining a chimney
    style hood, vented out the side wall, with a diagonal wall behind the
    range. A shallow shelf for s&p shakers could be incorporated in to
    the space.

The MW is on a shelf, with a cubby for cutting boards
    filling the remaining space. Dishes and flatware can be kept in the
    drawers under the MW, with pots, pans, and baking dishes in the large
    drawers between the sink and range. You can prep with a view out the
    window, or toward the dining area, and a helper can unload the
    DW while you are prepping and cooking. A helper can also gather dishes
    and flatware to set the table, without entering the prepping and
    cooking spaces, and the fridge is convenient to the dining area or
    someone looking for a snack.

There is a base cabinet in the blind corner, opening toward the dining area, for extra storage, and trash could be located in a pull-out under the sink.

Click to enlarge

Corner range hoods

The
    disadvantage to having a corner appliance is lost storage
    space, upper and lower, and filler needed to make sure that all drawers
    open past appliance handles. My Paint program doesn't allow me to draw boxes on the diagonal, so the range is a little wonky. Good luck!

• Wendy
    7 years ago
    What is the space like in the rest of the house? The reason I ask is my sister had a similar dilemma. She had a door to her garage in her small galley kitchen. She made the existing kitchen a butlers pantry, laundry, mud room and moved he kitchen elsewhere. She kept the dishwasher and fridge and added laundry basically. But that would only work if you have the space to do it.
  • Lucy Nelson
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is a picture facing out into our dining area (we had placed the Christmas tree in the dining area that year to keep away from my toddler). The far right is the entry way into the living room.
  • PRO
    Design Details
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I can't tell you how many times a client has come to me with an impossible kitchen. Yours is certainly a challenge but once I redesigned a 10' x 12' kitchen with five doors and a window. These projects take lots of thought and lots of imagination and knowledge. I would absolutely find a good kitchen design professional. Often they represent a variety of cabinet lines in which case the considerable assistance would be included in the cost of cabinetry. Try searching Houzz.com for designers in your area or contact cabinet companies tagged in your favorite photos and ask for dealers in your area.

• Barbara Simpson
    7 years ago
    I've never seen a corner appliance but that would help with the layout. By the way, I recently purchased the same lighting (one pendant over the sink and the larger light over table).
  • Barbara Simpson
    7 years ago
    I've never seen a corner appliance but that would help with the layout. By the way, I recently purchased the same lighting (one pendant over the sink and the larger light over table).
  • User
    7 years ago
    What's on the other side of that kitchen wall where the microwave is.....if it's a wall that can be opened up to a dining room or a living room you can still keep the door
  • User
    7 years ago
    if it was me I would open that wall to the living room area and extend the kitchen through the dining area.
  • PRO
    Master's Touch Kitchen & Bath Works
    7 years ago

It looks like there's another outside door beyond the peninsula. Can that door be eliminated and the kitchen pushed further out?

A good kitchen designer can help you with recommendations, giving a fresh view of the options, and a design that will work and make the most of the space. Good luck with your project.