Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emma_waymire

Be honest, is my living room turning into a retro nightmare?

Emma Waymire
7 years ago

I'm not entirely sure how this happened but it seems I have accidentally purchased a bunch of retro-themed furniture. I am not a huge fan on the mod/retro look in gerneral but I just got chairs for my living room today and I feel like I'm living in That 70's show. Is it as bad as I think? Can it be saved with wall art and throw pillows to tone it down?

It's terrible
Not that bad
I actually like it

Comments (6)

• 902 Juanita
    7 years ago

You actually have something cool going on. The colors of the major pieces-nice. The area rug? Matches your dog's hair, which sounds stupid until you live with it. :)

It all seems a bit cramped, though, so maybe a re-work of the space, if possible, so that nobody feels crammed in.

I also think you should ditch the plants for something bigger/taller. Maybe a few other accessories, too.

Art? I'm a nut. I can't stand this "abstract" thing we all seem to be going through. Forget it. Look on your cell phone. What's personal to you, on your pic file? Is it framable? This is an intimate space that could use some personalization. I'm the queen of taking a $20 print (from an iPhone 7), spending a couple of hundred on matting/mounting and or framing, and putting into spaces that which nobody else will ever have. It's really fun, and finding the right framer (many true artists run these businesses to feed their own efforts) can really help you.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7 years ago

I actually love those chairs. Just add something to the walls and try to play up the retro vibe. It could turn out really cool!

• PRO
    Valter and Anna fon Eynik
    7 years ago

If you'll add some art on the wall, more light and, maybe, coffee table instead of ottoman - it could be interesting!

• sheilaskb
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Since the sofa is grey, I would suggest you paint the walls a soft white to contrast with the grey, orange, yellow, and all the colors in the rug. A couple of green, leafy plants will bring life and air into the room too. You might place a large framed mirror above the small table that sits against the wall and then place one plant and a lamp on the table to add contrast and brightness. In choosing wall art, a large black and white print framed in black will look wonderful above the sofa, and the neutrals will contrast from the orange and yellow tones. Since you asked, I do believe throw pillows in yellow and rust will look great on the gray sofa.

• PRO
    Gialluisi Custom Homes
    5 years ago

Have you considered changing the color of the walls? Right now, the room looks cluttered and dark. Adding a neutral color would help you open up the space and make it feel warmer. And yes, a few colorful pillows would look great on that gray sofa.

Check out some of our projects at www.gialluisihome.com to get inspired.

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator