Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaporvac

Climbers for NorthFacing wall:need help choosing before ARE sale ends!

I posted this on the regular rose forum, but I seem to recall that some people here grow some of these roses. Sorry for any repeat!

Hi all! Everyone was so helpful with my newbie spring choices, I thought I'd seek advice on a lengthy list of climbers to grow in Cincinnati, OH Z6b.
I have at least 45' of north-facing wall I'd like to cover in climbers. A 15'+ section is 18' tall, and the 30' section is 8'-9' tall. It gets good sun May- Sept, but is shaded the rest of the time. (I also have a 40' x 6'tall fence in full morning sun with dappled afternoon shade so all comments welcome.)

Attributes I'm most interested in: some shade-resistance, vigor/disease resistance for our heavy BS area, Fragrance, clean petal drop and thorniness in that order.
Here are the roses from ARE:
Aloha, Blossomtime, Bubble Bath, Cl. Crimson Glory, Climbing Clotilde Soupert, Felicia, Florentina, Sombreuil, Lavender Lassie, Parade, Cl. Pinkie, Peggy Martin, Setina, Cl. Madame Testout.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows if their Francis Debreuil is Barcelona. Thank you.

Comments (11)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you, straw. I think Khalid also grows the Cl. Crimson Glory. That one is a 'for sure' purchase. I really want CS, but may put it on a fence to make dead-heading easier. I think I've eliminated Felicia and Blossomtime for now due to sun issues. I really just want them all, but it's too much $$$! : ( I'm planning an arbor, but don't know how soon I can clear out that area, so I'll just wait and maybe get those along with parade later, but shipping is a killer.

mad gallica on the antique site said I couldn't grow anything on a north wall, but I'm going to try anyway. ARE says Ballerina and Belinda are good for shade and while not as fragrant as I usually like, I can plant others in the front of this very deep sloped bed. I'm more interested in their health. I also decided florentina may be too red and clash with CG. I'm aslo getting Barcelona for the front so that's another colour to deal with. I think it's easier to mix cool pinks than any reds.

I'm also getting Gruss an Aachen, Bolero and Molyneaux for elsewhere.

• Samuel Adirondack
    7 years ago

I have 4Arborvitae and 2 lilacs on my North facing wall. My roses are a 6 feet out away from the wall.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked Samuel Adirondack
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, Sam! How is the bloom on the lilac? I'd love to fit one in somewhere. I have one in my front, but it's so shaded from the large oak and pines that it hardly blooms and is about 20' tall as a result!

I'm going to try the roses and if it's a disaster, I'll move them to the yet to be built arbor. I had thought about tall green plants, but the bed is odd.... deep, but sloping. I'd seriously considered cl hydrangea, but it can become a monster and would stick to the concrete and I didn't want to deal with that. I may regret that choice, but I can always do it later, although it takes a while to establish.

I just placed my order for EVERYTHING as they said I can always change/reduce it until they ship, so I have more time for study! : )

Original Author
    7 years ago

I really need to eliminate some of my purchases. Would it be Ok to start individual posts about each one, or better to list them all for comment?

• strawchicago z5
    7 years ago

I think it's better to list them all, in a general thread like "your opinions/experience on these roses?" That way others can add questions on other roses as well. Also helpful to list type of soil for that spot & how much rain or sun that spot gets.

Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley thanked strawchicago z5
  • lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

Excuse my newbie questions, but does ARE stand for Antique Rose Emporium or something else?

• strawchicago z5
    7 years ago

Yes, ARE stand for such. Bluegirl in Texas said that roses from ARE are quite large. It's a great bargain with no shipping charges !!

Roses from Burlington, CA are very tiny-band-size like Heirloom roses in Oregon. With both nurseries, I have to grow their roses in pots & partial shade FIRST, since the roots are so tiny.

• lavenderlacezone8
    7 years ago

Oh, I didn't know that they were having a sale! It doesn't show up for me online.

I've made a few orders from them and really liked getting the 2 gallon pots. However, the shipping for me wasn't that cheap and there was sales tax. Still less expensive than Heirloom where I have spent thousands though!

I bought some bands from A Reverence for Roses and they were the biggest plants that I had seen so far in the tiniest of pots. I was quite happy with them, especially compared to RVR bands.

Chamblee's seems to be more limited in their inventory but if they have what you want, quite economical.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm sorry LL. It was only for the weekend ending Cyber Monday. 1st time they've ever offered Free shipping. I'm a newbie, too. I just abbreviated since I can only have so many letter in the title. I believe these are 3 gal. pots and wigh over 8lbs each. They had so many vairieties I've been wanting it was hard to choose, so I didn't. :) Please feel free to comment on my new post if you have any of my choices.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Be sure to also check out coolroses.com. Call them for pricing and shipping. They said to me it would be free if I ordered so many roses. I'm in Cincinnati. Their plants are huge gal. and looked very healthy.