Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deelundsten

Dilemma with paint colors for exterior of home

My husband and I are finishing up the build of our new home. We went through a "Parade of Homes" in the local area and walked though a home that we loved. Although not the same floor plan, it was the same style of home, a Craftsman. We loved the exterior paint colors so decided to paint our home the same colors. This home even had the same exterior stone on the face of the house so I was sure I was going to LOVE it! Well, unfortunately I didn't take into account that they had beige window frames and I have white! I now feel like the frames stand out and don't know what to do. I have considered painting them but really don't like that idea for two reasons. One, in the weather, it will never hold up the same and two, the window grilles between the inside and outside pieces of glass would not be able to be painted.

So my question to you is should I lighten the trim to a color much closer to white so it is not so obvious? Also, I have read in many places that the columns on a home should match the trim. Does that mean that I should paint the upright columns on the stone piers light or keep them dark? (They are just 6x6 PT posts now but will be trimmed out all the way around)

Lastly, included is a picture of the garage front which is the first thing and only view you see when you enter the driveway. I feel it lacks something but am not sure what! I thought maybe it needs a garage trellis but am not sure. Please lend some advice. Again, you can see how the white window frame stands out against the beige trim color above the door.

Thank you so much for you input because I am definitely creativity/decorator sense challenged! :)

Comments (15)

• jck910
    7 years ago

I know what you mean about the white windows sticking out next to the beige trim. When I had old aluminum windows my gray/green trim looked ok but when I replaced the windows with white aluminum clad Pella windows the contrast drove me crazy. All my trim is now white: window, gutters, soffits, etc and the clapboard is a blue/gray. I would paint all the trim to match the windows. Garage door is lovely, I don' think it is missing anything.

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

I think the white windows are fine with the trim. I'd prefer boxed out columns, as yours look too small and would stain all the wood at the entry to match the front door. Your garage doors are great! I'd prefer larger more modern lanterns and I'd remove the corbels everywhere if they aren't structural.

• DeAnna Lundsten Hobbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

suzyq53, no the corbels are not structural but the architect designed it that way. Actually, the front is supposed to have matching post and beam decorative trim in both the other dormers, not just the main front porch. Also, the columns are definitely going to be boxed out if I didn't mention that! Do you think they should go straight up or have a slight taper to them? The pier is tapered so I assumed it should be straight.

Thanks for you input! :)

• suzyq53
    7 years ago

You're right to go straight with the columns. I'm not sure what you mean by dormers. I'm distracted by the corbels. Is it supposed to be "craftsman"?

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Your house is lovely. I wouldn't change a thing. I've had white windows and beige windows and I prefer the white because beige makes it difficult to choose interior paint colors.

Enjoy your home!

• DeAnna Lundsten Hobbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kris, I knew I wanted the interior windows white because I have the interior all trimmed out with white. You can get windows with white interior and beige exterior.

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know, but they cost more and it isn't worth it to me. Hubs wanted beige so I went with it and I have learned to work with it.

• Susie .
    7 years ago
    Yes, I would stain the columns to match the doors/wood above entry. As for the windows, you will just have to decide how much they bother you. I just repainted my house that had white Windows with beige trim, but the house needed painting, so it wasn't much of a stretch. There are vinyl safe paints. Or live with it and after some time, you may realize that it's not that important. I'm not sure I would have noticed.
  • DeAnna Lundsten Hobbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have seen homes that go with a darker trim color than the body color around the windows. Should I do that?

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

You could do a cream color and that would blend with your windows just fine. When I had a Craftsman with white windows I used SW Antique White on my trim and it looked good.

DeAnna Lundsten Hobbs thanked Kris Mays
  • mtnmom9
    7 years ago
    Your house colors looks amazing as-is! I'm not sure why you would want to spent money repainting trim. You're overthinking this.
    DeAnna Lundsten Hobbs thanked mtnmom9
  • DeAnna Lundsten Hobbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Flo, thank you for the encouragement! It would be work but not a tremendous amount to lighten the trim to a lighter cream that may blend nicer and I may not tackle that until Spring. I really just don't want to repaint the main house color. I would love your advice about the color that I should paint the columns when I get them boxed out. My front door is actually Cherry but it is a dark cherry. I plan to paint the arched beams in the entry rather than leaving them stained because I really don't like seeing the grain. You may think this is stupid but the front door is very solid colored. Should the columns be dark or light like the trim?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

My pleasure. If you are "boxing" the columns out, I would paint them the trim color which will draw the eye to those rather than the windows and create more emphasis on the wood trim. Just make sure they box these things out right. That will be key.

• DeAnna Lundsten Hobbs
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How do you recommend it being done? Do you have a photo? We will be doing it ourselves. Did I mention that I acted as the general contractor on the build and worked only with licensed subs. They were all local contractors and I felt they did good work but all of the design and color decisions were mine and I am not always right the first time! Ugg!