Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catbella123

Charming room needs your eye!!

catbella123
11 years ago
Heavy sigh...Ok I have just rearranged the furniture for the umpteenth time trying to capture that "feel" and some balance that I am seeking. My great room which includes a living room space and a dining room table is narrow.( about 15x24)This room has charm but it just needs to be developed. My frustration has lead me into creative insanity!
Help!! I would greatly appreciate YOUR eyes to help me with an optimum solution.
I am open to ALL suggestions and am willing to make the changes necessary, paint, windows, new art work, shelving etc.... I am thinking white on the walls to make the space brighter???? I think the blue wall needs to go slightly darker perhaps a navy or whatever.....??
My style is traditional but I am rather eccletic as well. I am seeking a cozy space but I love a simple, casual, less more approach. I do not like clutter. I want to highlight the beautiful floors and see a blance and a crispness.
Open to all of your lovely suggestions
The white furniture and wood floor is the current room. I have attached the "before design"(red chair, gold couch) just to get an idea of the space
Thank you in advance,
Catherine

Comments (86)

• catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wingback was a garage sale find. it is an older Ethan allen so its a bit lower than the table. It is a rasberry velvet. I did have it at the end of the table at one time but its too low. I can change the fabric or ditch it from the room altogether. I am screaming for space!
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    more pics of the space.

I threw up a curtain on the other small window to bring the room some continuity in window treatments. Comments?
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Just threw some drapes II had lying around to get an idea if I wanted drapes on the other window. Somehow the room looks boxier or is it just me.
    Plus the ceiling fan will be removed as it is too modern for my space.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    As you can see i tend toward the british raj look however I am tried of that. Tired of gold, reds and tired of that color of blue wall
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Acrylic chairs will open your space, as will acrylic side and coffee tables.
    Tobias Chair, Clear · More Info
    Peekaboo Clear Nesting Tables · More Info
    Timber End Table · More Info
    Eurostyle Matthew Coffee Table in Clear Acrylic · More Info
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    love the acrylic chair idea. Would they look ok with the wood table?
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I think they will give you the bit of kick you're looking for with your wood table.
  • PRO
    We Got Lites
    11 years ago
    We would suggest a rich, softly ornate chandelier for over the dining table. Here are some suggestions, and you may find more under http://www.WeGotLites.com > Ceiling Lighting > Chandeliers > French-Country Chandeliers

The items (provided in order by photo) may be found at WeGotLites.com by searching the following numbers:

1st Image - Search WeGotLites.com Keyword: 5625-AB
    2nd Image - Search WeGotLites.com Keyword: 5625-EB
    3rd Image - Search WeGotLites.com Keyword: SKU# 11149
    4th Image - Search WeGotLites.com Keyword: 1556-477

Please let us know if you need any further assistance, as we have design consultants who can assist in finding the perfect chandeliers, ceiling lights, lamps and more to complete the room!

Thank you, and good luck on your remodel!

We Got Lites
  • PRO
    Holly Anderson Fine Art
    11 years ago
    love the idea of acrylic chairs!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Another vote for acrylic chairs!!
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    catbella123, as you probably know, lighter colors on walls make your space look more spacious visually. And larger art pieces make your room look bigger and less cluttered as well. And, as you mentioned, your should also leave some free space on walls where yous eye can rest a bit and then move to the next appealing object in the room.

If you are still deciding on art and accessories, it is usually better to start with art you really like and then use its colors for everything else. You can visit our Houzz page for some art ideas. Enjoy and best of luck finishing your project... Raisa
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes I,m going to try the acrylic chairs!!!! Thanks Decoenthusiaste and supporters.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Any suggestions on wall colors?
    I can purchase the large canvases and paint them or buy some large art work I like. What would you suggest for the placement of these art pieces?
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    If you have a university with art dept. nearby, you can often find students or profs who sell their pieces. Check it out - can have commission work done too.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    great idea deco. Can you suggest an approx scale for the art pieces and where you would place them in the room?
  • Mariah Perez
    11 years ago
    Wow, beautiful... Can you post more pictures facing the front of the sofas... What kind of floors are those? I love you design taste.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Try your round mirror on the short blue wall as you enter the room. Ideally, a piece of art or mirror hanging above a piece of furniture should be no more the 75% of the furniture's width. Have you considered replacing the table there with a floating shelf? A stainless steel one would make for some drama in the entry, as it would provide the contrast/counter balance with the mirror's material, I think.. I'd put other art on the both walls on the left. Maybe a large oil on the long wall and a grouping of four simpler pieces on the wall left of the French doors - perhaps simple pen and ink drawings or watercolors. Depending on the height of the TV wall, you might be able to install a wall sculpture there.
    jamesthomas, LLC · More Info
    Floating Console · More Info
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks! I love your input Deco. YES, YES drama in the entry way is good. The table in the entry way is no longer there anyway. I have had the round mirror there but it doesn't show up well on the blue wall as they are both dark. I think the floating shelf in metal is good as the round mirror has some silver in it as well. I'm going to look around for great shelf.
    Love pen and ink drawings! Black frames?
    What sort of wall sculpture?
    Any ideas on the wall color? and should the room be all one color?
    Shall I leave the drapes up on both windows. I could change the drapes to something more textured.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Maria, the hardwood floors are maple. The furniture is the Hampton sofa/chair from pottery barn in white linen.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sofa placement??? angled or on the long wall?
  • kitchener64
    11 years ago
    Angeled sofa!
  • kitchener64
    11 years ago
    Sorry, angled!
  • Mariah Perez
    11 years ago
    I love pottery barn.. Great furniture
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I like the sofa angled right now, but when you find art that might change. Also, ask if you can "try out" art and return if it doesn't work. You might get a silver leaf pen and do a little enhancing of the silver on the round mirror. If you're going to invest in $$$ art, I'd want the room to reflect a gallery feeling. That would mean a solid color. Let your choice of area rug influence what you choose. Don't forget to shop for gallery lighting to enhance each piece - you know, the little brass lamps that hang above the art. They may come in other metals too. You might think about using temporary wallpaper on the little blue entry wall. Easy to redo when you change your mind. As before, wait until you fall in love with a painting or rug.
  • Mariah Perez
    11 years ago
    I have a question, was the hardwood installed on top of the tile floor?
  • stefaniam01
    11 years ago
    I like the furniture placement in the second photo I don't like angled furniture it is more an issue of symmetry for me I feel like I would have to straighten it up all the time. I would definitely paint the room lighter and add extra fabric to your curtains maybe a few extra panels to add extra volume the one small panel doesn't do the room or size of the window justice. The blue wall is lovely but I agree I would go dark - dark French navy would look amazing. I like the placement of the screen behind the sofa in one of the other photos I would place that back there and then the round mirror (?) located behind the sofa I would repurpose that on the blue wall - so the timber frame would pick up on the timber of the screen when looking into the room. The wall to the side of the French doors I would hang one painting using the blue with all the other colours in the room. Again picking up from the painted blue wall so when looking in from that angle everything blends in yet has interest. I think you artwork collected in your travels should be utilised these are a part of your life and essential to your home. Good Luck.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The hardwood floors were installed over concrete. We had the tile floor torn out.
    Our floor was glued down and is solid maple. I do believe you can put wood over tile if it is a floating wood floor.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Stetaniam01! Definitely agree with some of your ideas. I have replaced the screen as I liked it behind the sofa also. Yes Dark french navy sounds rich without being an obvious blue. I haven't decided on paint yet. . The problem I have always had with this room is that the furniture is loaded to the left side of the room and it looks unbalanced. I have rearranged tonight to achieve some balance . I will be changing the pillows, perhaps to Rasberry's and grays to match the Navy french wall and the corner wing back unless i decide all one color. I will have to search for the art work and and have an ottoman made. I think I still need perhaps 4 pics to the left of the wall of the french doors as suggest by another reader. Love the idea of acrylic chairs around the table too. It will cut down on all the wood.
    Thanks for your eye on things :)
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think I will hang the screen on the wall to give it slight bit more height and The ceiling fan is as good as gone. I will search around for a new rug as well I can really see that the room needs some texture in both the drapes and in the carpet
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Deco thanks for all you FAB ideas. I will definitely be trying some of your ideas and will post a pic as I progress.
    0 seconds ago
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sorry had to try a different arrangement. Its so clear that this arrangement opens up the room and provides more of the balance I am seeking. The room still needs some touches and paint and etc.... but its a start.
  • Mariah Perez
    11 years ago
    I Love your room anyway you arrange it... It's real beautiful. I wish I could do mine but I can find the right furniture it flooring.
  • Mariah Perez
    11 years ago
    Who installed your floor? I need to install flooring on 2300 square feet .
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Here are a couple of plans you might consider. First, it does appear the sofa is too long to put it directly on that wall, but have you tried angling it from the French door to the other window? Angle the screen in the corner behind it and place the plant with the screen for overlapping texture. If you need to you can raise the plant up on something for more height. This way the sofa will be welcoming as people enter the room. If it wouldn't block access to the French door you use to exit, I'd move the big white chair to that end and bring the lighter weight raspberry chair to the entrance to the room. How high is the TV wall? You could make it a complete gallery wall, you know. In that case, I'd get a smaller and very low credenza for the TV so more wall is available for hanging art.
    Second, what if you flipped things, putting the sofa on navy art wall... The TV could go on a small console, credenza or chest left of the French doors, on a swivel for better viewing. Some of the best looking ones I've seen are posted under Products by McEntire Design Group here at HOUZZ. Put in Credenza and they start showing up about page 9. The large white chair can be angled between the window and TV. Then just float the raspberry one, or even use it in the foyer where it might make a stunning statement with the round mirror and shelf.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    i had a friend do it in Phoenix. Im not sure if he is still doing it. We got our wood at floor and decor in Glendale. They have several flooring contractors you could try.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Deco hi, the blue wall is 14 feet tall. I think the art work has to be large canvases of art work to fill the wall, either that or some talk bookshelves s or large TV wall unit. Not sure if the sofa will work angled in the corner of the french doors. Seems like I tried that before. As I mentioned I struggle with balance in this room as all the furniture is loaded in the left side of the room. DId you see the my latest arrangement(attached). I have not had the room this way before and will see if I can live with it. I think some rasberry and dark navy pillows will carry the color into the room. I took the rug out and everything is a smooth texture and I plan on getting something with some texture.
    I did try the raspberry wing back in the entry way but it blocks the flow. I am going to try the floating metal shelf tin he entry way with a round mirror as you suggested.
    I think the sofa on the tall wall may look very dwarfed on that tall wall BUT I could be wrong.
    Love Love your input! You are certainly thinking like I do and inspiring the ideas.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Deco hi, the blue wall is 14 feet tall. I think the art work has to be large canvases of art work to fill the wall, either that or some talk bookshelves s or large TV wall unit. Not sure if the sofa will work angled in the corner of the french doors. Seems like I tried that before. As I mentioned I struggle with balance in this room as all the furniture is loaded in the left side of the room. DId you see the my latest arrangement(attached). I have not had the room this way before and will see if I can live with it. I think some rasberry and dark navy pillows will carry the color into the room. I took the rug out and everything is a smooth texture and I plan on getting something with some texture.
    I did try the raspberry wing back in the entry way but it blocks the flow. I am going to try the floating metal shelf tin he entry way with a round mirror as you suggested.
    I think the sofa on the tall wall may look very dwarfed on that tall wall BUT I could be wrong.
    Love Love your input! You are certainly thinking like I do and inspiring the ideas.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I was really hoping the white and raspberry chairs could be switched. You may be surprised if you just scooch the sofa over toward the door and angle it! It will be at about a 40 degree angle, so not too severe. It will give a little bit of a quirky feel to your and eliminate some of the need for balancing the room. Do you have furniture sliders, "Moving Men?" I think with the sofa being white, it will take up quite a large visual piece of the blue wall if you try it there as well. One super large piece might do it. See 1 & 2 below Or you could opt to mix it up a bit. Great excuse to hit the flea markets, galleries and university art departments this weekend!
    Mad for Galapagos Turquoise · More Info
    Pueblo St Master Bedroom · More Info
    Stacy Weiss: Shadyside, Pennsylvania · More Info
    In collaboration with Elizabeth Cross-Beard, Associate at Jenkins Baer · More Info
    Traditional Family Room · More Info
    Green and Gray Home Office · More Info
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    11 years ago
    What about these curtain designs?
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi DecoE! Great FRESH ideas. Thanks for gathering the pics for me to view. Helpful in 2 ways ... I can see what I like and what I don't like. I totally am digging the Stacey Weiss Apartment pic in PA pic, of the white wall with the entire wall in random art work. So My style!!! and so reflective of me and who I am. I like INTERESTING and not so mainstream yet I need comfortable and cozy with a bit of pulled together style. I DO not like the St Georges look ( YAWN) . The wall is so washed out with the white art work and its way to structured and perfect. I like the green and gray office pic and may try this in my office - Its got style but so unexpected and fun.
    Thanks so much for sharing the photos for ideas. Great!

I dabble in photography and painting I do have a few of my own pieces to add for the collection .Yes it would be a blast to start collecting some interesting art I am a big fan of flea markets , have artist friends etc.... I collect strange paintings of faces etc, wall ceramics , interesting furniture pieces and most are in storage cause I thought I didn't have room. My space will not have this much light. The wall color looks like a pure white which I am still considering.

Additionally I have a very large, heavy ornate gold mirror in archive that I could put on that blue wall. Come to think of it I have several very large mirrors that may be interesting too . I could paint them all white or whatever. They certainly would reflect light and make the room look larger. I am not a big fan of mirrors however when they are in multiples all over the wall at different heights and sizes it changes the dynamic. Most of the art work I have is stuff from my travels, jewelry framed, batiks, weavings, jeweled pillow cases, copper all from the middle east, thailand, saudi arabia, huge saudi carpets etc....I am getting sick of that objects and all the jewel tones, CANT take any more gold, or reds. Then again I can change the gold backings on these items and that takes care of that. I may be able to take those things and redirect to an my office space.

OPTION 1: RE : the angling of the sofa in the corner by the french door. I had my sofa this way for a long time and it looks fine. I liked it however it still looked as if I was left loading in the room with the table and other chair. to the left as well. You can see that as one of my first pics.You mentioned putting the white chair in the right corner of the French doors at that end. Correct? Float the Rasberry WB more towards the entry floating in the room.
    Problem: the left corner where the screen would go behind the sofa is very dark and It makes me crazy which is why I have the table and lamp are down there now.
    I also think with the white chair down to the left of the French Doors would block them.

OPTION 2: move the sofa to the blue wall. I AM going to try this( i move everything myself and its no problem).
    I do have a chest, antique buffet, interesting tables etc that would fit that space for the TV ( back wall left of the french doors). The the white chair would go left by the long window-ish and the raspberry WB would float to the right of the white chair perhaps the round table/with lamp between them.
    I like the idea that the TV is not taking center space and is tucked away in the a much smaller space left of the french doors as we watch little TV and travel a lot . Perhaps even a small armoire or something to hide it away
    I do have the long console which is rustic and could paint. Where might I use that or does it exit the room?

OPTION 3: I like the current arrangement somewhat because it is balanced to me. I can switch the white chair and RWB and see what that looks like and then start adding a bunch of art work to that blue wall.

PROGRESS SO FAR:
    Entry way floating shelf and round mirror.idea I love and am looking at the sites you suggested and will purchase something soon.Great Idea.
    I am going to check out the acrylic chairs for the table to give it a fresher look. Love that idea!
    Love the ideas for the Living space and think we pretty much have covered the bases on placement now just need to decide.
    I am definitely changing the wall color . I really love the apt wall with all the paintings and want to head in that direction. Perhaps BM cloud white???
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Forgot I have lots of framed kids artwork as well that is marvelous and abstract.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    might be interesting to get a faux wallpaper of white brick on the back wall by the french doors too. Give it a more exposed industrial look.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    You're on a roll, catbella! Can't wait to see more posts. So glad you already have a stash of art! That will make it easier. https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-pick-the-right-white-paint-stsetivw-vs~416809
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    11 years ago
    Just saw other pics. In dining rm remove valance. You have a lot going on remove wing back. Paint all walls same color. NO accent colors. I like the gray by TV. The TV stand has to much clutter remove all. Get a bigger TV put that one in bedroom. Your TV is too small for media . Check Costco. Remove all pictures. Replace with larger piece. Remember less is more. Keep sending pics.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    11 years ago
    I like dining lite could be about 10" lower. Put that plant in living room in corner by sofa. Wall going to living area. Do nothing no pic or anything. Remember you are trying to de clutter.
  • PRO
    World Class Window Coverings
    11 years ago
    I like the overall look of your room, so great job! I think you need some window treatments! Sheer shades are a great product if you want to add a soft touch to a room while keeping your view (it looks like you have some beautiful greenery). You had mentioned that you like more of a traditional look, so plantation shutters are also a classic look that really adds a finished look to a room.
  • catbella123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    travisinteriors- thanks for the comments. What placement on the furniture did you like? I have several different arrangements posted here. One arrangement that I still want to try is putting the white sofa on the dark blue wall( it s actually not gray), Yes i think the TV is too small as well. I am thinking of trying the tV on the wall left of the french doors on a smaller console. We are not big tv watchers so it does not need to take center stage.
    I am thinking white for the walls with large paintings on the big blue wall. I think the room is crowded with the WingBack too.
    Re:Valance does it not look good? what would you replace there?
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    I agree with travis that the valances aren't working. I was thinking "first things first." I think the open concept calls for matching drapes flanking all the windows. The ones at the French doors are long enough but that one behind the angled sofa is too short. You want them to kiss the floor. If you repaint in white, you may want to change the rods, or their color. Depends on other factors once you get to that point.
  • mjmil
    11 years ago
    I like your new arrangement of the furniture. I am not really fond of the angled arrangement. I like curtains - think you need new ones that are longer and fuller. Love the acrylic chairs I think they will look great. You are doing a great job.
  • PRO
    Deborah Bettcher - Decorating Den Interiors
    11 years ago
    Just a few additions to the lovely room that you have begun...Some color on the wall would give it warmth and personality - maybe color I call Patina- a toned blue with a bit of green. I'd love to create some lovely drapery panels for you with a fresh pattern to frame the view and make it a focal point.