Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyburridge

What heat resistant product do I need around my gas stove?

nancyburridge
7 years ago

I bought this Delonghi 36" Gas Range last year and now that we are in the final planning stages of our new kitchen I am wondering what heat resitant material we should install on the sides of the cabinets and the back wall. The backspash will be subway tile and the hood will be lined with stainless, so I am not concerned with that, but I do want to protect the back wall and cabinet sides. The recommended air space is 2.9" but I would like to bring that down to 2" if possible. Any recommendations?

Comments (11)

• Susan Davis
    7 years ago

Ditto and if they specify 2.9 you should do 2.9 for warranty purposes and to avoid a possible fire. The specs are there for a reason; learn to live with the gaps. What ever fireproof material you choose it will still transfer heat and can damage what is behind it or next to it....stick with the specs.

nancyburridge thanked Susan Davis
  • nancyburridge
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The exhaust system is not a problem. That is already planned. And the manual I read wrong, it does not need 2.9 inches of air space, but I am a careful person. I am not asking whether I should add heat-resistand material, I asked what was available. Thank you for your comments.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 years ago

And the answer was no , what else do you want

• live_wire_oak
    7 years ago

Covering wood with metal or tile doesn't make the wall fireproof. If the range requires those clearances, then they must be maintained. Covering the studs and cabinets would still allow transfer of heat to the wood, which is still a fire hazard. The whole wall assembly, including the studs, and the adjacent cabinets, would need to be metal. NOT wood covered in metal.

It is the same with any wood hood. Covering the underside in metal doesn't make it fireproof. It still must be placed 30"-36" above the range.

The clearances required are for you and your family's safety. Which is why Make Up Air is also now part of the building code. Your HVAC Pro has to engineer replacement air into the home so that the exhaust will not backdraft combustion appliances and poison the occupants with CO1.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    7 years ago

I'm assuming here that all of your combustible materials such as cabinetry are within the minimum clearance specification for your gas range. If this is the case then you can add any material you wish as long as it is classified as non combustible. This would include popular materials such as ceramic/porcelain tile, natural stone and metals such as stainless steel.

Graham

nancyburridge thanked The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
  • leelee
    7 years ago

I would think that the stove has its own built-in insulation that will keep the heat in the oven where it belongs.

• nancyburridge
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The Kitchen Abode Ltd.Thank you Graham. Thank you for reading my question. You have answered my question completely!

• PRO
    Mineral Tiles
    7 years ago

You should be fine with the regular distance from the stove to the walls and cabinets. They are usually standard to keep from overheating. But we do have some tiles that are very resistant to heat so you are sure.

nancyburridge thanked Mineral Tiles
  • Susan Davis
    7 years ago

I think I misunderstand what you were asking. Oops.

nancyburridge thanked Susan Davis
  • nancyburridge
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No problem Susan Davis. It happens when there are so many things to read. :)