Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

OK to hire an unlicensed & uninsured tile setter?

uscpsycho
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I found a tile installer that seems to be really good, has good references, and knows his stuff. My concern is he is not licensed and not insured. If I insist on those things we can go through his former employer (before he went independent) to fall under that license and insurance, he will do the work but the cost will be higher because former employer now gets a cut.

I have had nightmares with people that are licensed so having a license doesn't guarantee anything. In fact my licensed GC regularly uses an unlicensed tile installer and doesn't think it should be a deal breaker.

This guy will not charge me anything up front. No deposit and nothing for materials. He finishes the job and he gets paid if I'm happy with the work. And if I am not happy with the work in progress I can cancel the job and not owe him anything. I feel like this offers me some protection against shoddy work and he definitely won't be one of those guys that disappears with your deposit.

Tile installer must be licensed & insured
OK to use unlicensed & uninsured tile installer

Comments (9)

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Very good point. He did say he has the ability to buy insurance on a per-job basis so if I require it he could get insurance to cover just this job. If I hire him I will make sure he does this.
  • PRO
    Susan M. Buss Interiors
    7 years ago

I would definitely require insurance, there is a boatload of things that could go wrong, and may not just as "The Kitchen Abode, Ltd" pointed out that includes personal injury. Better safe than sorry.

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

Not sure about your area, but tile installers aren't licensed in many places. If you feel that the insurance is a requirement, ask him to include that cost in his price quote.

• PRO
    Signature Home Services
    7 years ago

Like stated above, the only main issue would be the lack of insurance. I would highly recommend that you require it!

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7 years ago

Better safe than sorry. The "insured" part of it is very important.

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OK, so with respect to the insurance, as far I can tell there are three types available to contractors: Business Owners, General Liability and Workers' Compensation (WC).

What should a tile setter have? He will have a helper but he's not an employee. Is worker's compensation insurance necessary or would this person be covered by a different insurance? Would WC even cover a non-employee worker?

I also don't think he technically has a "business" he's just a self-employed tile setter.

He is willing to get the insurance but neither one of us is really sure what he needs so that my butt is covered. Can someone help?

• PRO
    Susan M. Buss Interiors
    7 years ago

Those are all questions he should ask his insurance company. When he does get the insurance you can require he have his insurance company fax or mail to you a copy of his current insurance certificates. If he is not insured and something goes wrong, you could be liable for any injuries and damages which occur during the project.

• PRO
    Outback Construction
    7 years ago

Workman's Compensation lets you off the hook if he gets hurt on your project. Without it, you have to pay for any injury and if he slices off his hand while cutting tile he could end up owning your house.

Liability insurance covers him (and you) for any damages he may cause in the course of work.

Unlicensed, uninsured contractors (and yes he's a contractor) can and should do work cheaper because they don't carry the overhead and pay the taxes a licensed contractor does. While he sounds like a great guy and has made you a fair offer by not taking any money until the job is complete he's working "under the table" and that means he's "stealing" from those of us that operate a legitimate business. When your GC hires a tile setter then that tile man automatically becomes covered by the GC's insurances.