Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliamalouin

Need paint color help - wall, trim, ceiling, white dove vs. decorators white vs antique white

Julia M
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I am looking to repaint the two rooms pictures (in ideabook Beach House). One is the kitchen (clearly) and one acts as the living room/dining room/family room. The kitchen is a little bit awkward and I'm going for a clean look. Should I paint the kitchen area a gray (if so any suggestions using BM paints) and then paint the kitchen cabinets Decorator's White. I am seriously considering painting the walls in the living room all white dove with decorator's white ceiling (there is no trim in the living room). If I paint the living room white dove (with decorators white ceiling) should I just using the same color scheme in the kitchen since the two rooms open up into each other. If so should the cabinets be white dove or decorators white- and what about the trim? Any thoughts of painting the cabinets a light gray and then the rest of the wall white dove (like the living room)-- if that's the case what color do I paint the trim? I also liked antique white (by BM) when I tried it on the wall- it seemed very warm- is it too pink. The over all look I want it clean and coordinated. I want a wall color that is noticeably different from the ceiling but not cream or too yellowy.

Gray kitchen cabinets (then white dove for wall color or decorators white) or gray accent wall in kitchen?
I have posted pictures of the rest of the rest (from different views). The appliances in the kitchen are white. And the big purple sofa chair is getting reupholstered with Magnolia Home Fashions JAVA YACHT. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    First of all if you paint the living white dove paint the ceilings and the walls the same . I would do all cabinets and trim and ceilings whir dove and choose a gray for the wall color like revere pewter and or edgecomb
  • Julia M
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    If I paint the walls and ceiling white dove what color should I paint the trim around the windows in the same room? Would Painting the walls white dove and the ceiling decorators white be a mistake? thoughts?
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    they are both off whites i dont think theres enough difference between them.i would do a light gray with white dove ceilings and trim. Why do you want to do white walls?
  • Patty Eades
    11 years ago
    My walls and ceilings are the same color and I love it...........can't wait to see the finish..goodluck
  • elainelon
    11 years ago
    I would paint the ceiling white and the walls a medium tone yellow and change the knobs on the cupboards for a bigger size like a pewter sleek handle and put up a stripe valance topper with greens in it. Change the rug on the floor to a deeper color and add accents with glass or cans on the counters. For the dining area paint the walls a deeper yellow and place a vase on the table with stem flowers and greenery, change the photo on the wall and look for something eye appealing and you could also put up toppers on the windows for a zest of color. I find this will add warmth to your house since it is all open. Have fun
  • Jody Lundquist
    10 years ago
    I am getting ready to paint my own house. I was originally thinking BM decorators white with BM super white ceiling, trim and even kitchen cabinets. I like decorator's white next to white furniture and sofa upholstery. What did you end up painting your home and how do you like it?
  • c3ryan
    9 years ago
    Hi Julia- I love the kitchen paint color choices and full renovation on a website called Elements of Style. She used grays and whites with some great paint choices. Her kitchen turned out gorgeous! Here is the link for a little inspiration. Good Luck!
    http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/2013/03/the-before-and-after-my-kitchen.html
  • cinderellaslipper
    9 years ago
    Assuming you want a Hampton's beach house style, then pick two shades of pale duck egg blue. which if you get them to pop will give the effect of tie dye, using the paler shade in the kitchen and the slightly brighter shade in the lounge...then put up some crisp white voiles to fan in the breeze, also get those black garden chairs out of the scheme, too jarring with the white dining set,,,blue glass vase on table, blue theme pillows, and silver grey on kitchen cabinets...
  • granom
    8 years ago
    Get samples. Even whites look different in different lighting.
  • Miranda Rose
    8 years ago
    What about light blue lower cabinets? Keeping white uppers. I also like gray though. Bottoms or tops only.