Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leliu5th

Hand clearing land in Hawaii

Leliu Swann
7 years ago
Just wondering if anyone has experience, or has actually done any hand clearing of raw property on the Hawaiian Islands. I want to keep the native non invasive species of course. I am using a machete and a weed eater to do most of it. The lot is over 8000 sq ft. I will not bulldoze a drive or house pad because I want to look for that "SPOT". I want to do it all by hand. Some of you will think I am crazy. I do not want my house to be too visible from the road, so I can keep it as "native jungle" as possible. I have a year before I actually build. I have seen other properties done this way and I really think it is aesthetically pleasing and more private.

Comments (7)

• spymatch
    7 years ago

If one Leliu Swann could clear 100sq by hand, I would be impressed. You want an intimate experience, at least use a heavy garden tractor. You just want to knock brush down. I sometimes drive slowly through brush with deck mower.

• Leliu Swann
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@spymatch what do you know about Lava rocks and lava tubes? You cannot simply mow over lava rock with a heavy garden tractor unless it's a "rock crusher". Same goes with a deck mower. I was looking for someone who has done this, someone who lives on the island and I was specific about my question. You live on the mainland in Illinois RFLMAO. And yes this one Leliu Swann can and will do it. Shoots haole! I will post pics, be prepared to be impressed!

• spymatch
    7 years ago

I apologize if I came across as rude. Ive done a great deal of land clearing by myself, by hand and machine. Its exhausting work as you may already know. I missed the part of your op that described terrain. Sounds like you need dynamite.

• Leliu Swann
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Aloha, No worries, but unless your actually on the land and see it you will know what I am describing, it will ruin a lawnmower of any type ;-) I'll get some pics soon. When I use a weed eater( Hawaiian lawnmower) LOL, I have to change the string (industrial type) every 15 minutes. Yes hand clearing land is a labor of love, and this is my little dream I have saved and planned for a long time. It is a slow process but I do a little at a time. I am a very hardy gal, no wimpy here...lol! I am not your typical woman and I really love what I am doing and how I do it. In Hawaii you have to hand clear land for the sole purpose to not ruin the Aina. If I bulldozed it and laid it flat it would be like every other haole here and that's not me. I will not bulldoze down the Monkey pod, Koa, Ohias, Coconut trees etc; I am not cookie cutter person, my home will look interesting and be unique from and Artistic standpoint. I neither get offended nor annoyed by anyone. I am here to get advice and help, be it constructive criticism or kudos. Mahalo Nui Loa.

• wacokid
    7 years ago

On your Hawaiian Lawnmower can you put a blade on it instead of using
    the string cartridge. I have blade on my Stihl weed eater, it is
    dangerous, but I got tired of replacing the string all the time and it
    cuts heavier growth way better. Aloha and good luck. Send some pics. We have some thick brush here in Texas.

Misc · More Info

Leliu Swann thanked wacokid
  • Leliu Swann
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thats a great Idea, I saw the attachment blades for the Stihl which is what I have, great machine! Yes, better than replacing the line...right on! Many Mahalos to you I will try this!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville