Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_moussamarouf

Making some progress...

Kristin M
7 years ago
Thanks to a lot of opinions, I've made some progress in the dining room. I took out the rug and drapes I was trying out in there. I also changed the light fixture. The current rug is also a trial and I don't like it. I'm going to go for a solid light grey/silver or maybe one with some pattern, but all in grey. After I find the right rug, I may consider going for the custom drapes because I can't seem to find anything. The floor lamp has the fabric that I've used on my drapes in the living room. Should I make the same drapes for the dining or is that too repetitive?? I also had this canvas cut into 3 pieces and custom framed, and I plan on hanging it on the empty wall. Still considering a mirror on the wallpaper wall.

Comments (103)

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm so torn on silver or purple. Flo you're right, you can't see the drapes when you walk in through the front door. I might run to jcpenney or something and grab some drapes in those 2 colors just to see which looks better, before I order online. I'm getting a lot of you guys saying a mirror on the wallpaper wall. Quatrefoil? Or rectangle?
  • Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Penny I do like the zebra. In some pictures it looks gray and in some it's more brown. It's so hard ordering online!!! As far as the chairs, I've been regretting (paying MORE) for leather. I wish I did fabric. I thought this will be easier with kids. I can get the reupholstered but I think I'm going to hold off since they are brand new.
  • Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    ?? This was on flash sale on horchow today. Almost pulled the trigger but I don't like the pressure lol
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I agree with you about ordering rugs online...

I read a great tip here to order the very smallest offered to keep shipping costs (and hauling it to the post office!) down. Then return for the size you need...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

As I said, if it were me, knowing what I know about Viscose, I would return it. But, I know how hard you have worked to get this done and I am trying to help you but maybe this just needs to wait until after Christmas. Concentrate on your family and having fun.

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Good tip!! Yes absolutely, there is plenty of time to work on this during the most miserable months of the year (January and February) lol!! The only thing about viscose, and correct me if I'm wrong - it seems that most cheap rugs use viscose to give the look of silk but keep costs down?? And I definitely need a silky looking rug in there. The wool ones are too casual. So even if I returned this one, would I get stuck with a viscose one anyway? Or what other material should I be looking for? I don't want to spend a lot on a rug for this room.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Yes, many have Viscose in them but in smaller doses. They do give that really silky wonderful feel. Did I ever share my favorite article on rugs and carpets with you? If not, I'll post it. You can search it on Houzz, it is one of their articles. Title: "How to Get New Carpeting", but it describes all the different fibers and their pros and cons. Author: Laura Gaskill, Dec. 21, 2015.

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh great, I'll read it thanks!! Aahh I guess there's always something?! This house thing can get a bit stressful at time.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Oh definitely. Especially when you are trying to juggle young ones, hubby, holiday stuff. Too much!

• smm5525
    7 years ago

Kristin, it's wool but isn't casual. It's gorgeous. Get a sample from PB, though the sample doesn't do it justice.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

If you want something low pile, let me find it. I have something in mind.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

Something along these lines

• christina405
    7 years ago

Stunning wallpaper. Just a thought to share: whatever you decide to place on that wall can be hung from the crown molding so you don't need to put nails in the wallpaper itself. Also like the idea of a set of three somethings whether they are mirrors or framed photos (as suggested earlier) with wide mats, but something that does not detract.

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Smm where is the second rug that you posted from? Also here's a picture of the room during the day, not sure if it looks any different.
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

Second rug is on eBay. I just googled grey overdyed rug. You can probably choose a color too.

the floor lamp really doesn't belong in dining room

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

im thinking you could find one and paint it.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So we think the quatrefoil would be too busy? And maybe too small? It's 34 by 34. For reference the chandelier is 24 inches wide
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

i feel like its too modern in some way.

• User
    7 years ago

I would do an art-deco style in there...but I would wait until you're firm on the rug first.

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for pics!! Yeah I have to be careful not to go too modern. My house is very traditional and my style is more transitional so I have to be careful not to lean too much in the modern direction. The more I see the curtains the more I'm thinking to stick with silver/grey???
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Get your rug settled on first. I think you lean toward more monochromatic looks (wallpaper is really monochromatic when you think about it) so gray rug in the very subtle colorations and then silver/gray silk drapes would make a very soft, look. It would also be a plain background to work with from the great room perspective. You could bring some of those blues from the great rom into the dining room in the form of blue, white and green hydrangeas in a flower arrangement for the table for example. I think you would like that look the best. I do not favor mirrors on your wallpaper wall. Big prints with wide white matting would look classic and not fight with the wallpaper. Mirrors in dining rooms are usually not a good idea. Especially when that mirror won't reflect anything but the hallway wall right? But, hey, it is your room, so you have to make YOU happy! I think we have decided the rug goes back!? Right?

• smm5525
    7 years ago

I think you should do ivory curtains or the light color from wallpaper. Hung on rings and not grommet

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

IMO Ivory will just not work. They will look dingy with the grays in the room. I could be wrong, and you could get some and try, but I think the printed ones you had were light ivory background? I don't think we liked those. If you want the monochromatic look stick with silver/grays. Lighter ones would be good.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

I was thinking the light color that's on the printed lamp shade. Is that white or ivory? It looks nice against the wallpaper

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So as far as the draperies, the ones I had in there were an off white with silver stripes. I hated them mostly because they looked very plain and you couldn't really see any silver on them. The fabric of the lamp shade is more on the white side and it's a perfect match with the paper. That's the fabric of the drapes in the living room. I actually wanted to make the same drapes for this room, but now I have to keep them plain. I think I'm going to go against popular opinion here and maybe keep the rug. I've walked by it all day and just can't seem to get myself to hate it. It actually works (in my opinion). And I like the idea of some blue in the room to tie in the living room.
  • Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh, Flo, can you give me an example of a style of art that you think would work in that room? And do I HAVE to hang something on the wallpaper or can I just leave it as is if I accessorize the table and put art on the other walls
  • Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    also, how big should the art be on this wall?? Should it take up most of the wall or half or what are the "rules?" This wall faces the windows in the dining room. It's also the first wall you see to your left when you go through the front entrance.
  • Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    By the way, I could turn the rug so that the "dark side" is the one that shows. That hides the print a lot more and it almost looks solid. But it is darker.
  • Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hmmmm???
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Yikes girl! I have to take some time to digest all your thoughts. I think I like the rug turned to the darker side. On the art, you have crown molding, and there are devices that allow you to hang art from the molding which would be better than punching holes in your wallpaper. BUT! For right now, with your chandelier and a nice "long, tall in the middle" tablescape, and the busy print of the wallpaper I think it would be fine to leave the wallpapered wall blank. Then hang your art on the painted short wall.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

food for thought, adding some color in the rug might bring you some more inspiration

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

or no rug? do you really need a rug in this space?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Kristin has blue and white in her great room which is about 6 ft from the open dining room. So that has to be considered. I like the idea of bringing some blue in, but not so sure about yellow.

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I do like the idea of some color in the rug. I tried it with a rug with blue and one with purple and they both looked horrible. I think the wallpaper is very busy and clashes too much with a colored rug. I guess no rug is an option. I'm really starting to hate this room. The reason I thought a rug would be good is because the room is pretty plain and empty and there's not much I can do to accessorize it.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Ya know, I think no rug is a great idea. I don't like how the chairs are going to catch on the rug when the guest slides back, and it is just not working. That is usually a sign that means "don't do it"! Sometimes you just have to stop hitting your head against the wall! Why don't we concentrate on tablescape and drapes and hang the pictures you already have for the short wall? Are we making this too hard!?

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    lol I think I'm making it too hard because I have to overthink everything!!!
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

I think blue yellow and gray can play together. i also think, a bold color might de focus the wallpaper a bit.

• samayyz
    7 years ago
    Just wanted to say I really love the drapes you picked.
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

I think a buffet with lamps on the ends and a statement piece mirror in the middle would be gorgeous! I recently went to a party at an Interior Designer's house and she had the most amazing mirror on her buffet that went all the way to the ceiling, it was a show stopper!

• hooked123
    7 years ago

I love the drapes too!!

• leelee
    7 years ago

That tripod needs to move out of the dining room. It doesn't matter what the shade matches. It totally fights with your beautiful chandelier. It makes the room off balance.

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks, the drapes are actually in my living room. I was thinking to make the same ones for the dining room! Leelee, the tripod lamp does not belong to that room. I put it there to show what fabric I was thinking to use for the drapes. It's also still there at the moment because I had to move it out of my living room to make room for my Christmas trees
  • Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I did hang those 3 pictures for the time being to get them off the floor
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

They look good!! Well done. Not easy to get three pictures level! Nice view from this angle too!

• leelee
    7 years ago

Your triptych looks fine but a larger, more vertical painting would be more dramatic.

• leelee
    7 years ago

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

if you have any paint left you should paint that vent on the small picture wall.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

btw the pictures look great!

• Kristin M
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oohhhh I didn't even notice the vent hahaha! I have plenty of paint, that's a great idea!
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations