edubya

POLL: Do you eat dinner together as a family every night?

Emily H

Yellow and Blue Table Setting · More Info

With varying schedules it can be a challenge to get everyone together at the same time for dinner every night. Do you manage to pull this off? Let's hear about it!

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes
No
Other - Tell us below

• Bill
    Nice to hear this practice isn't dead
  • Aimee Belote
    not every night

POLL: Are you hosting Thanksgiving Dinner at your house?

I am hosting a very special Thanksgiving. My parents are both ill; my Father has cancer and my Mother has Alzheimers. I have moved them in with me. This summer my Dad was hospitalized 6 times and almost died in ICU. I live in the south and they are from the north so this will be the first Thanksgiving they will have with us and their grandchildren. We have a lot to thank God for...Dad's cancer is in remission and he is doing great, Mom has begun to adjust to the change in environment and my daughter is pregnant with our first grandchild and their first great grandchild! 8). God is so good! Oh yeah, dinner will be traditional turkey and the "fixins". Happy Thanksgiving y'all!!!

POLL: Most important part of hosting a dinner party at home?

They all play a part... but, far and away, the quality of the guests and a liberal supply of social lubricant seem to be the most important. I've been a guest at a party where the chicken was raw, the side burnt, and someone was injured during a racous game of spoons... and that night is one of many that is very fondly relived every time we see each other again.

POLL: Do you have a family information center?

We've always had a paper calendar where everyone is expected to put at least those things Mom needs to be aware of. I put all of my appointments there as well as on my electronic calendar so anyone in the family will know when I'll be unavailable for anything they might need me for. The kids were pretty good at posting their things there and I thought I had everyone trained until last week when my husband let me know 10 minutes before we needed to leave that his appointment he'd asked me to accompany him to was that morning. He'd put it on his own calendar but not the public one and I'd made another appointment that had the potential of being overlapped by his.

POLL: Where do you or your family eat most of your meals?

Breakfast is in my office inform of the computer. Dinner depends if spouse is home. Together dinning room table as we do not have a breakfast nook or nice large counter top. Alone, I'll admit it, on a TV tray in the den.
  • Tami Tinajero

We have been able to plan for Tuesdays and Thursday night family nights where we sit around the table for dinner then a short game night.

• Jane Kanno
    We sit down for dinner at 5:45pm everyday. this allows everyone to atleast sit together for 20 to 25 minutes during dinner. some of us are beginning to eat and the rest will sit half way thru so at least we have eachothers attention during ...in the middle of dinner. it just works. Yes, it's a full course meal: salad, with lemon oil dressing, basmati rice, homemade garlic parsley meatballs with tomatoe garlic sauce, followed by a small sweet treat with tea. After working a full day, I start putting components of all parts together, followed by mixing and pouring, cooking or setting, finally making all plates, and sweets in plates so as people come if the cover does not keep it hot they can warm it for 2 minutes. Cheer! Bon Appétit!
  • JVH
    Our family of 5 eats together 3-4 nights/week. Between sports and scouts, it's sometimes difficult to have an hour but we generally spend 35-40 minutes at the table together.
  • A Brady
    80%ish. When the kids were younger, yes, all the time.
  • Liz Barker
    We always thought it was super important to do this, especially once our girls came along. We eat at the dining room table every night that we are home except for Friday night which was always pizza and movie night. Even when they were playing competitive hockey, we would eat together (even if it was in the car on the way to some far-flung rink). When my job got intense and I was getting home later, the kids were older and we simply ate dinner later.
  • carolynsmimi

I'd like some opinions about a friend's family more years ago than I care to admit. And I wonder what ever happened to her. Her parents were professionals. She had one brother away in college in New England. The three of them rotated with topics (their choice) to speak about at the evening meal. I remember her hurriedly hunting through encyclopedias in search of interesting topics and the answers to any questions that might be asked of her. I will add, her vocabulary was fantastic as well as her knowledge and grades. But I always sensed this pressure she was under to glean information for random topics in addition to homework and school projects. Somehow I think her parents lost some valuable connection to her as their child. Am I wrong? As a parent, I tried to mention news items to see if my kids were listening to current affairs but there were never topic assignments.

• Susan Gilbert
    Yes, dinner together was always the expectation and anticipation. Breakfast and lunch could be in the kitchen but dinner would be in the dining room. It just reinforces that this family time is special. Many people rarely use this room, not us!
  • Joy Patton
    We don't make it to the dinner table every night because of busy schedules with four kids, but when we are together, we do. And there are no phones allowed:) That's why I picked Other.
  • gnumedia

It's usually standing up eating out of a can by the kitchen sink.

• miriamk

unless evening activities means someone isn't home - we eat as a family.

• wyatt25
    No we work different shifts
  • Cyndie Dyer

I checked "yes" because I serve (or plan) family dinner every night. Everyone who is here and hungry eats together.

• jeflo

Yes dinner every night as a family and electronic devices are left at the charging station. So no phone calls, texts or alerts during dinner. So for 30 minutes daily we come together to renew the family bond.

• Crystal

We do 4-5 times a week, no cell phones allowed at the table and TV off. That leaves one night set aside for "date night" where my hubby and I go out by ourselves and reconnect, catch up, etc. Sometimes it's a nice restaurant, sometimes it's Taco Tuesday night, but wherever we eat, it's OUR time. Date night allows us to be better parents, present a more united front, keep each other updated on the kids, house matters, work, etc. I CHERISH our date night!

The other night is a free night for the kids as ours are now older which I think they appreciate as they become more independent. Awww, the joys of family life! :)

• gattosipi

Yes, we do every night, but not on Saturday. because our teenage daughter has plans for herself. We prepare the table and sit together. We are italians so it is quite normal to do so

• wrknnwf

We sit down together, talk and gaze lovingly into each other's eyes. I often stroke his hair and he kisses me in return. And I love to pop a tasty morsel in his mouth now and again. He's my family, he's my 160 lb Newfoundland dog. Oh, and his table manners are impeccable.

• becca_thompson99

We do, but our boys are young. I know a nightly family dinner will be a challenge once they're running in different directions. Enjoying it while I can!

• Jayne Walker

We have eaten together at the table every night (when we are in the same town) since we married 39 years ago. The table is set with cloth placemats and napkins and the food is put into serving bowls that are passed This was continued after the children were born and until they grew up. Dinner was adjusted around school and extracurricular schedules. It has made for s close family life. Oh and we said a family blessing every meal also.

• Liliana Vildósola

We have 6 kids, from 24 to 5 years old, so it's almost impossible to have dinner together every night. But, we try, and usually there are 3 or 4 kids sitting at the table. One thing we have learned is to be flexible, so sometimes we sit at the table at 10 PM, because we wait for each other to arrive from whatever activity we have.

• carolynsmimi

wrknnwf Same here and as far as family time I have to drift into the far reaches of my memory. As for now, it's only me and the dog; a sweet little big eye'd Pekingese. She seems to sense when I sit down at the table, it's time for her to eat, too. But I happen to be sloppy with bits of bacon at breakfast. They just drop from my hand, hmmmmm.

• sawbren

Not always dinner due to work schedules. One meal a day we sit and eat and talk. Even when at college there were calls while each ate a meal

KOL KITCHEN & BATH

Yes and we try to have breakfast together too!

• dawngilhooley

As a mother of three very active , involved girls and a wife of a Police Detective Sergeant we always have dinner together . The only exceptions- my husband working the afternoon shift or OT while he " Serves and Protects"or we have a night out :))

• buster57

Ever since my Mom moved in with us. Even if we order in, we eat together. We watch Jeopardy with dinner (I hear the gasps) but it keeps our minds active! Of cos "Man plans, G-d laughs" but we do the best we can. Very precious time.

• Tanya Carter
    Yes! We use a tablecloth, placemats, crockery, cutlery, water glasses, serving dishes etc. It feels special. I love cooking so it makes sense to make it special.
  • buster57

Tanya: you go girl!! Every day IS special - do what you love with those you love! I love it!!

• Margaret D

Not only do we eat dinner together each night, but we always pray first. And when my children were small, they learned the rules of the house were that they kept their elbows off the table, never talked with their mouths full of food, and chewed with their mouths closed. They knew which fork and spoon were used for what. My son would grump a bit sometimes but now he has his own family and Surprise! guess what he's teaching his children? LOL. Aah! Life is good.

• tammymoser

Yes, Also each my daughters had to prepare a dinner one night a week after age 12. They were responsible for planning what they needed for the meal at the beginning of the week, so I knew what to buy. They enjoyed the friendly competition, and older ones helped the younger ones to learn. Our 3 Foreign exchange students had an opportunity to share their favorite meals with us, and we all (mostly) benefited. Yes, there were few disasters, and a few good fun food fights , and an occasional no hands spaghetti night :-).

My girls are wonderful gourmet cooks now, and preparing meals together is a ritual when we get together. BTW I often taught yoga in the evenings, and loved coming into the house with dinner on the table.

• redecoratingtropicalcalm
    just me n my husband so no cats to herd...it may be just the two of us, it may be late, it may be take out, and it may even be in front of the blasphemous television watching our favorite show or PBS but yep we eat dinner together every night - I appreciate those of you who struggle with multiple kids schedules and still find time to have a good meal and family time together, I don't know if I could - keep it up everyone - you do you!
  • cymbalman

Absolutely we have dinner together. Part of an enjoyable meal is sharing it with people who are family and friends; otherwise, it is only a fuel station to pack it away and move on. When our children were young and lived at home, each meal was a balanced one with salad and vegetables every day, regardless of what the entree was. As parents we made a special attempt to discuss what the children did at school, what their plans were that evening, and often challenged them to come up with reasons to support what course of action or what their beliefs on issues happened to be. Sometimes the discussions were quite lively, but did not disturb the meal itself. As a result the entire family looked forward to gather together at dinner as a special time. 0f course, we didn't have to compete with cell phones and hand-held devices at the table in those days. But there would never have been that competition in the first place--it just wouldn't have happened in our home, I can assure you. Today, our adult children often remark how special the evening meals had been as they were growing up--especially those during holidays when relatives and friends would join us. Sometimes, I think younger people don't appreciate the good feelings engendered on those occasions until they are older (and wiser).

• Selly Olusala-Yuill
    When my husband came back home for (holiday)leave we ate together. But when he was stateside...No, we didn't eat every single night together. But when we finally have children, we have settled that we want to have "traditions" like that, sitting together as a family and eating dinner, almost every night. I think it's okay to eat on your own in your room or living room or in the bathtub at least once a week, lol!
  • Lyn

Sadly not often at all, due to our varied work schedules

• carolynsmimi

Buster57, My dear MIL lived with us until I had no choice but to put her somewhere for her own safety (age 99). She passed at 100. But until that time we watched Jeporady. Her hearing was so bad, I'd answer audibly and she thought I answered correctly . How wonderful to be the genius in the family if I was only batting 50%. It made her so happy to have that time together.

• Lyn

Carolynsmimi, you are a very lucky lady to have spent so much quality time with the old dear

• bartonk8771

When I was a young mother a much older co-worker told me his secret to raising 5 lovely daughters...always eat dinner together. As my kids got older and more involved in school, sports, etc. we still almost always managed to eat together. It took a lot of effort and meals were not perfect but we were together and that's what mattered. It was a place to listen to each other, share the day's activities and enjoy the family. It must of worked because my 3 daughters grew up to be wonderful women with kids of their own still trying to carry on the same tradition. In this day and age, with all the crazy work schedules, I don't know how they do it. For the working moms of today maybe it boils down to one special day a week for everyone to be together. Traditions are what's important.

• Grace

Some weekday evenings, but more likely on the weekends.

• mjkjrobinson

When we can.

• kathleenkau

Dinner together is the glue for our 3 generation family. The key is grandpa makes a special meal everyday - it's like a tour around the world each month; Italian, French, Japanese, Thai, Hawaiian... it's always a treat we enjoy together. On Sunday nights after dinner, we have our family meeting to go over our schedules for the coming weeks so we can coordinate our needs. Eating together and planning together is fun and an important part of being a family, it's sharing.

• georgianbayrenos

usually 4-5 times a week....

• beachwalker520

We ate dinner together every night with few exceptions. Our family members changed over the 45 years we have been married but I still serve dinner between 6-6:30pm. My mother and aunt who lived with us joined us every night while they were alive. Now we have dinner with our daughter and her 3 yr old on the days we are taking care of her. When our son was in elementary school he brought home a mother's day card and listed what was special about his mom - "having dinner together every night." I treasure that card's reflections. Having that dinner time as family left an impression on him at an early age and now that he is 32 yrs old, he still joins us for dinner when he is not working.

• pmacd

We are a family of four and when the kids were going up we ate together every night. As the kids are now in their 20's and they come and go we still eat together most nights. It is not uncommon that a friend is added to the mix as well. We have theme nights with Sunday night being roast night and usually a friend comes to join us. It definitely makes a world of difference to eat together as a family.

• courtinghome

We eat as a family nearly every night. If my husband comes home and dinner isn't underway, he starts singing Santana's Evil Ways - "When I come home, baby
    My house is dark and my pots are cold" (he's joking, by then, I've already texted him about a change in plans!)

• Laura and Jed Southwick
    I have had to settle for Sunday dinners together as my husband's ER schedule doesn't allow for nightly. Kudos to families who make it work! We do our best.
  • pattyj316

My husband and I have a 19 year old son and a 22 year old son....we used to eat dinner together 5-6 days a week...now it's more like 3 with a friend of theirs joining us every now and then~

• carolynsmimi

Bound to happen when they become of adult status. It's a good thing a friend joins them. Not only does the friend get a good meal, you get to know their friend(s).

• hanstep
    It just me... and cats(3). Back in the days when I was marred and my girlies were still at home Every Sunday's we all sit down at dining table and have a nice Sunday dinner...like Beef Pot Roast with all the trimmings!
  • mjkjrobinson

Well we eat together, its at different times but yes we do.

• sadiah51

Yes. Especially when our first 4 children are at home during school break. All 8 of us will sit for dinner together. Normally the girls cook.