Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy3877

How can I paint and decorate around a dark green leather couch?

sandy3877
11 years ago
Hello! To start, the living room is tiny. The house is a super small cottage. There is only one wall that the couch can fit against. I have a Lazy Boy dark, pine green leather sofa, with built in recliners. It is so 90's to me. I hate it, but cant afford new furniture. I am great with DIY projects, refinishing furniture, design ideas, window treatments, etc. But this couch is a) to big and heavy for the room and, b) I have to work a color scheme around it. I will take pics and put them up tomorrow. I just don't want to paint the walls based on colors that compliment the couch. But, since I do not see it going anywhere, I am stuck with it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments (116)

• carole
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    same here,pictures,drawings and ofcourse Houzz ideabook!!love it;-) about the floor there is a soft glow but it is as you see in the picture not glossy,and every once and a while i mop the floor but mostly just hoover or soft brush,and it wears well,this floor has been down nearly 4 yrs(dog has been with us 2 yrs now) and i haven't re-oiled it,its new oak,we did all the planing and sanding and laid the floor ourselves,and oak really does not scratch all that easy...... Love your idea of re-covering the couch! and like you say stapler and sis to help, you cant go wrong!
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I will be washing the floor quite a bit because of the heavy traffic. There is no other way in. Ugh. Will that ruin the oil? What type of product would you use to clean an oiled floor? You mentioned it will make the color richer. Richer as in darker? I think once I sand with a course then fine paper, it will be a light natural wood color. I don't know why I am so worried about the damn floor. There is going to be an area rig and furniture will also cover a lot of the space, even if I down size. I am going to sand it, and either oil or urethane it, whichever is cheapest and less time consuming, so I can move on to the joining room. It is not my house, nor do I think I will be here forever, so enough is enough. I just want a clean, comfortable pleasant area to be able to sit in, instead of living 24/7 in the bedroom!
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Being the only way in I would definately pick oil, because varnished floors go bald in high traffic areas. And your floor will look a shade darker, in both varnish and oil.
    There are soft cleansers for oiled floors, even ones that nourish too, just go and look for brands and their extra products and cleaners. Another plus is, when using oil, you can treat a part of the floor if you think a full treatment is not yet needed, so when you mop partially you can oil partially too.
    Don't think cheap and fast when it comes to floors, a good floor carries you year round, take care of it respectfully (lol, hear me preaching).
  • carole
    10 years ago
    you are right,rinqreation,but it sounds more work then it is,after the sanding and the first 2 applications,you will see which areas need cleaning more,here it the kitchen and entry,Sandy,you have the right idea make it clean and comfertable for you...also the plus with oiling the floor is there is just a short dryingtime,and as we did not have time or access anywhere else i oiled the floor and put some rags on the part where we needed to walk...this you cant do with urethane that needed 24 hr between every layer!!and yes,there will be a slight colorchange,and i know what your thinking,all this sanding to get it lighter!!!but if you use clear oil its not a dramatic change,maybe you can try a bit of the floor with sunfloweroil or oliveoil to see how the color is,and then decide..
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's what I will do, try a spot. And Carole, that's exactly what I was thinking; why am I sanding to bare wood to get the light color if oil is going to darken it? Read my mind! I am going to try the oil in a spot when I am done sanding (hopefully can get to it and room one done by tomorrow!). Then room 2...then I will need your help with colors I have narrowed down! And the couch. Might as well find a solid colored fabric and give it a shot. It is just sitting in storage, not being used so what the hell! I'll give it a shot! :)
  • carole
    10 years ago
    ;-) you will see it wont darken it very much,try a spot leave it 12 hrs,you'll see if it is too dark,but i would not imagen it will be!! you going at it great guns!!must be so much better already without a red carpettted floor....and colors yes,lets see what you have and i would love to see the curtainmaterial too,please? what color you thinking for the couch???
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hello friends! I was off the radar for awhile; something happened and had to put the project on hold. Well the last couple of days I have scrubbed, and scrubbed the floor, and used a roughly 5"x5" hand sander with course paper. I need your advice. Regarding the walls, my sister and I were talking, and thought perhaps a very light silver/green/blue color would look nice. (My friend used something similar in her HUGE house!) The color has hints of green, and blue, in different light, as well as silver. But on the tiny swatch, it looks like a white. I tried the consignment suggestion. Out of 5, I only received ONE response! And she said the green monster "didn't look like it was in good shape" from the pictures. She was kind of bitchy about it. lol Oh well. Anyway, here are a few thoughts that I would like to run by you (Sorry, they are all over the place!) I mentioned I have a red couch in storage. It has 2 seat cushions covers that have zippers to remove, so I was thinking of maybe upholstering it. The only lousy part is the 2 back cushions, that appeared more firm in the pic when I was buying it, are attached. I guess I could just cut them off! But, I am guessing that I will have spent as much on fabric that I could have got the Ikea couch. As I move along with the floor project, I have had to restrain from almost killing my boyfriend and his friends. It has been raining here for a few days. I have paper and a sheet down on the floor, but, for example, today they were walking right over me! There is a back door to the cellar and house (really old and scary but ..)so I made a little "mudroom" type area. After talking to my boyfriend, he apologized, knowing the work I have been putting into this, and suggested that we put the green monster on the wall, right in front of the door, permanently. That way you walk into the kitchen when entering the house, instead of standing in the middle of the living room. Thoughts? I attached the latest version of the floor, and for carole and carolins, had to throw in a pic of the Green Monster, which is going on Craigs List reduced from $325 to $200 tonight!
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One more! :)
  • carole
    10 years ago
    blimey!!you have been busy!!thanks for the update.......can you still lift your arms??/;-)
    love the floor,what a difference!! shame about the green monster,but the more places you put it up for sale,the better the changes....personally i would put all yours and his 'old'furniture up for sale(as rinqreation suggested) and spend the money on a new settee and some more decorating you want done,but that might take some time..
    its hard to tell from pictures,but the color you are talking about sounds good to me,does it go with the material you wanted to use for the window?already the white walls dont look so bad now that the floor is done!!
    dont know about permanently blocking the door,but it does seem to make sense to enter the house at the kitchen...for now great idea,that way the man can get retrained!!!give them a good 6 months!!by then hopefully you are rid of the 'monster'..maybe the guys can come up with a solution for the scary entree??/how about putting the 'monster'and a tv there??sell it to them as a manscave!!!;-)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh wow Sandy, result! The floor is absolutely beautiful. Immediately it feels more like a cottage and it makes the space feel bigger and lighter. Really nice.
    Even the green monster is starting to grown on me.
    As Carole, I'm not sure about blocking the door (you never know when you may really need it), but just making the back entry the main entrance is a good idea.
    I've been trying to retrain my man for 25 years, but I may have a really stubborn one... ;-) Ah well... it's good that he got the message and thought about a solution. There is hope :-D
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh, wall colour sounds good.
  • carole
    10 years ago
    12 yrs trying to retrain,still have muddy boots and workcoats in the livingroom!!;-)but surely can they learn to use another door in that time(?)
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi friends! Tonight I used a 2-in-1 stain/urethane. I just bought a tiny can to try a spot. The color I chose was called vintage walnut shine. I am sick of sanding, and with furniture and an area rug in there, you really aren't going to see much of the floor. So I figured I sanded them down pretty good, and there are definitely permanent stains, and as you can see in the pictures, it was a dark stain, and no matter how I tried to sand, the wood planks were all a little different in color. So I said, to hell with it; I got the 1 billon staples out after I tore up the rug and padding, ALL by MYSELF (and move that damn Green Monster around, lol, and any scratches, etc. are smoothed out, so let it have a distressed color to it. Back to one of our previous conversations regarding urethane vs. oil. No one I spoke to (I use this term lightly, as the people I did talk to, were pretty much clueless. lol) new anything good/bad/indifferent about the oil procedure. Then my sister and I were discussing how I just sanded the floors of a one bedrm apt (my parents own property, so I am a jack of all trades) and how my Mom, who has been in this business since her and Dad started their own company 50 years ago, he built the houses, she worked on the inside, painting, picking out details etc, I am rambling..if you are still with me, my sis and I were saying how after I finished sanding these floors, my mom wouldn't listen to us (I brought up Carole's idea to oil them) but she insisted on urethane. Well, sis and I don't think the urethane in my Mom's home is the same quality that they make now. She used to be able to put a good coat on, not sand or steel wool them, and just wait one day, and put another (kinda thick) coat on! And the floors were beautiful. Seriously. Well she didn't even let us get in there to remove the dirt between the boards, or do anything about that, she just put down urethane RIGHT over! And a nail sticking out too! So my sis said, if you are going to urethane, her suggestion is 4 coats, 2 days in between each coat to dry, and steel wool, and thin coats, so it will be rock hard and not wear off or scratch so quickly. I'm off track (No, I haven't ben hitting the wine!). So I put a very thin layer of the 2 in 1 product. Looks okay, but some black spots, actually a big circle appeared after I applied it, and the marks were not there when I washed sanded washed etc. them. the product says let dry for 6 hrs, and apply 2nd coat after very lightly steel wool, and only a 3rd coat if you want it darker. Well, I am giving it a good day to dry, and in about 5 hrs from now, will see what comes of this. Carolins-lol, I was thinking the same thing about the Green Monster! I think it was the burgundy dirty rug that was really grossing me out! Carole, I made a couple curtains, then decided to look for something different (I made window treatments for someone that took forever and am kind of sick of this fabric, but will show you a pic of the fabric) And we should both sell our furniture? That would be a lovely idea if he had any!! lol Seriously! Thanks for listening to my small novel, if you actually made it through the whole thing........lol...................
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Haha... I really enjoy reading your posts. As if we're all having a coffee and a chat. Lovely :-D. Looking forward to seeing the pics of your thoroughly urethaned (I know, just made it a verb) floor and of the fabric. I think this will turn out to be a really cozy, lovely space. Who'd have thought. A good floor (and a lot of elbow grease) does wonders!
  • carole
    10 years ago
    cant wait for your next chapter...mine is a black-no sugar and i will bring the " stroopwafels/waffels;-). back to your room...sounds like 2 or 3 layers is not too bad and you did clean and sand that floor to an inch of its life,cant wait to see the pictures of how it dried up!!
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lol! Thank goodness, because I swear, I talk to people about you two like we really do get together for coffee every morning. (I'm scared to ask, stroopwafels? Hmm ...lol) Oh, I will just run down to Dunkin Donuts and pick up a French vanilla hot coffee with a shot of unsweetened caramel, skim milk, one equal, and what ever you gals feel ilike....lol okay, the floor. Dried with a nice shine (like what I would think oiling it would look like), instead of a "gloss", you know, sometimes someone puts so many coats or to much of urethane on the floor, and it isn't natural, shiny; it looks more like an inch of some type of a goo-ey, super glossy product. I actually used the whole sample, and covered one coat of a little more than a quarter of the floor. It is roughly $18 for a quart. Didn't see it in gallons. I think if I am only going to do 2 coats, a quart should be just enough. I was going to put 3 or 4 coats down, then, again reminded myself that, a.) I am broke, 2.) not going to see much of the floor, 3.) not my property,(sorry, mean but true, especially when he doesn't lift a finger to help me with anything), 4.) sick of rolling around on the floor at eye level with the scary burgundy carpet to one side in the a-joining room/small room addition and to the other side, in the bedroom off of the living room. lol I should have put a sign at the top, "Warning-before reading this post tonight- I am really in a smart-xss, bitchy mood".!! I blame it on EBay, and their changing policies. Grrr...just trying to sell a few things honestly, to make up for the $ I don't have because the Green Monster wont sell! Ikea, please don't lose hope in me! :)
    (will attach pics tomorrow of varnished/urathaned area) And why isn't it a verb!?! I tried to use it the other night, but didn't want to look like a dummy, so I searched dictionary.com!! :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Stroopwafels are delicious. If you like them. I'm not a big fan, my husband is though. Imagine two very thin waffles with a layer of golden syrup between them.
    https://www.google.nl/search?q=stroopwafel&rlz=1C1CHFX_nlNL515NL517&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yrOhUdPsJdCb0AWj1IFI&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1745&bih=882#facrc=_&imgrc=3nIRbidpRUCsNM%3A%3BtzBNUeY6yi7XdM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.moniqca.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F10%252Fstroopwafel-syrup-caramel-waffle.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.moniqca.com%252Fstroopwafel-and-speculaas%252F%3B912%3B684

I fully understand your reasons for only doing 2 coats. And it sounds like it's turning out to be a beautiful floor. It's clearly more important for you to be in a nice space than it is for your partner. So it's great that you're not afraid of tackling a job like this and that you cán do it. You should be really proud of yourself.

Would you believe I've never had an 'exotic' coffee like you just described (I live under a nice rock in the middle of nowhere), but yeah... should be delicious, so I'll have the same please :-) I'll bring tompoucen (vanilla slices).
  • carole
    10 years ago
    sounds just right,not glossy and not to expensive!! money is always the thing here too,but it is also the challenge to make it cost as little as possible,IKEA has sold those settees for years,so i am sure you will be fine,lets hope the fact that wages will also have holidaypay this month spurs peolple on to buy you stuff...but can understand you getting a bit fed up,there is always a point in every project i do where i think;WHY did i want to do this,it s never going to get fininshed and then it just does!!! ;-)you must be tired,i know the feelin,am redoing a caravan,who ever refurb that before must have had a screwgun and a nailgun for x-mas!!!!!!!but this week the rebuild can start and my love has promised to build the bedframe and lay the floor,guess what...his mate just called,they need to go and see about a car????yeah!!whatever!! i am having a coffee an wafel for breakfast today and then its back to the grind!!!
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hello again! Time for an update, though the project was on hold for awhile. I still have the Green Monster listed in Craigs List for $300. I received an email from someone today that wants to pick it up tomorrow. I was at my sisters when I saw the email, and I immediately thought of ou guys. She laughed when I said I would have to tell my 2 caroles' the news. The sad thing is you were right. Once the floor was almost done, the green monster didn't look so bad. It was the burgundy gross dirty rug that was my real enemy! lol I am still trying to find a wall color. I had swatches taped everywhere, but now I think I want to go a bit darker than originally planned. Actually, everything changes now, with (hopefully) the green monster gone!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Good news. Imagine... you're going to miss the green monster ;-) So it's not so bad when the people don't take it away. Whatever happens, it's all good. Floor looks like a million dollars. Thanks for keeping the two Caroles updated :-)
  • carole
    10 years ago
    wow,that is looking really nice now!!here is hoping the green monster moves out soon,and i am curious to know what you have in mind as color for the wall......thank you for the update,keep them coming ;-)
  • onecb1
    10 years ago
    You gals are a riot. I laughed my head off with the banter...Great job on the floor. It looks awesome. ;) Green monster gone! Time to paint and decorate! Looking forward to the updates.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    What a fine do-it-yourself story. That green sofa was monstrous. Are you planning to find a new sofa at Ikea or hunt for one on Craigslist?
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    BREAKING NEWS: The Green Monster has left the premises! As the gentleman that bought it was leaving, he told me how he went on the Lazy Boy website, and looked at a couch almost identical, for $1,599, but it was marked down to $1,100. I wanted to shoot myself In the foot. I KNEW I shouldn't have kept lowering the price! lol Good-bye GM! I just wanted to make a couple of comments and then ask for a little (really ALOT) of advice. The floor is darker than I wanted, but after stripping it down to bare wood, it still had discoloration here and there. So I figured that color would cover it/contrast well. I did look on CList today. What is up with all the marsh mellow couches? Everyone must have bought the "in" look, and now it is outdated, so the are trying to get rid of them. Their measurements may say, for example, width 74", but because of the extra huge arms, the seating area on the inside is only 22". (Just kidding!) And that messy pillow look; hated it back then and still hate it! lol Found a funky squared armed couch with matching chair. In the pic it looks black; the owner said they call it Grover because it is dark blue and fury. Moving along...and one woman wanted $400 for a 4 year old Ikea couch when I could almost buy it new for that price! Okay, now, I need to find a piece of something that inspires me to pick wall colors. Back to the problem that I do not want to bring anything I have from storage here, but I don't have the money to buy the many cool items that would make me my color palette (rugs, pillows, fabric for window treatments, prints/pictures, etc.). In fact, I love to do all this DIY work, but right now, I wish it wasn't here! Sorry, TMI. now that GM is gone, anything goes! Please tell me what color combo's you all like. I have so many in mind, I'm sure some will be what you are thinking of too. Oh, I forgot I need a couch. The way it looks (under the current living circumstances, that I will be buying a futon mattress and throwing it on the wood frame. Still beats the GM. Maybe I will write a short story for "Glamour" magazine about this experience, including the love (or lack of) life part! Grateful for everyone's comments!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh wow! Goodbye Green Monster. May you have a very happy life with the no doubt very happy gentleman :-)
    I'm going to think about colours for you.
    What do you have in mind yourself? And if you can, post links or pictures.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Right... just to give you ideas, I'm sure you can find cheaper options on craigslist or second hand shops, but I went to Ikea. The sofa top right is $279, the Kivik thats bottom left is $429 but will allow you to have a lie down due to the low armrests. Since you can sew, I picked fabrics that you could make simple Roman blinds from?
    And since Dad is a carpenter, can he make you something to put the TV on?
    The paint colour is Benjamin Moore Edgecomb Gray.
  • radianyce
    10 years ago
    What color could accent Edgecomb Gray?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    radianyce: here's the link to the Benjamin Moore page, they have a couple of suggestions:
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/edgecombgray
  • carole
    10 years ago
    congratulations and celebrations!!oke,not as many $$ as you would like but its a start!!!in the picture below i think i found a room very similar to yours,not in love with the cough,but like the TV stand hanging,to create a more open space and i think if you have a 3seater klippan and a dark cover (for the man about the house( and possibly a comfy chair for you!!! like the color Carolin suggested,and i think you like bright colors,maybe the raspberry with gray??or the bleu??not sure,do you have a favourite??
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hello friends! Well, I am back and took my girls' (2 carols) advice. I went with a gray wall and white woodwork. The grey I chose was a BM color, but I got the paint at Home Depot, Behr brand, and went a bit darker when she was mixing it. Let
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have alot of decorating to do! But for now, here are a few pics of the boring, yet clean and new, room! The tall lamp I found without a shade in my parents cellar. I spray painted it a hammered metal and took a cranberry colored lampshade and painted it white. Then I doodled with black paint and that is the design that came about. That is the futon from the other room. My boyfriend found the futon mattress free after a yard sale somewhere nearby. It is black, do it works for now. The pillows on the left I made, the white one with the zig zag I painted. I bought the striped pillow on the right on the way out of Home Depot. They were closing, couldn't find a tag, so the didn't charge us for the $18 pillow. My first accent choice with the gray walls was something in the pink family, as you guys suggested. But it bring a males home, I decided on turquoise blue, dif shades. I pulled another color from that pillow, that orangey color. I know there is a name for it). I really didn't even like the pillow, but while the boyfriend was willing to buy ( very seldom lol) I figured I would cover it. On the wall right of the window is a pic I drew in highschool, that happened to be matted on orange Nd black paper.
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The first 2 pics are just a temporary spot for the tv. I going to have my dad build me something. Love the pic of the white stand. The shelf above the tv; took a leaf from an old kitchen table, sanded and painted black, bought L brackets, painted them gray and black, and had the fake plant, etc. The tv is on an old table I found and spray painted, the pic is the one I drew in high school,(14+ yrs ago lol) and the white lamp I keep changing the base of. My sis laughs her butt off because it was a glass base with a rose painted on it, but when i get bored, I try dif mediums and techniques on it. :). So the latest is a painted shade in blues/greens with acrylic wAter color. Going to spray paint the base a dark turquoise. I need advice on a few things, but need to take more pics to ask for help so u will know what I mean. As for the windows, I think Iight go with gray or black blinds only. What do you think? Then I will make a bunch of throw pillows in vibrant accent colors. Well, that wraps it up for now, but please chime in!! And I will take pics of each wall so I can ask for help and have you guys hear my ideas, and either veto them or thumbs up them! Thanks!! Sandy
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carole, the 3 pics u posted above are awesome! And that turquoise couch! LOVE! Carolina, can we talk about Roman blinds again ? :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh wow, it doesn't even look like the same room! Love that picture you drew in high school. You're very talented and very creative which helps in finding good solutions if you don't have lots of money to spend.
    I can't get over how much this room changed. Well done! Paint colour is great and I love the pillows. Wouldn't do black blinds for the window. Too dark, certainly in combination with the sofa. But you could do black&white fabric. Floral, stripes, whatever. Although I'm tempted to say: go for white with orange or turquoise (you could even paint simple roller blinds).

http://www.marthastewart.com/271995/make-your-own-roman-shades

or

http://jenduncan.typepad.com/whats_new/2008/11/roman-blind-tutorial-in-20-pictures-or-less.html

Again, fabulous work. The room feels so much happier :-) Sending you a virtual hug for all the hard work you've done. Hope your boyfriend appreciates your work and enjoys the transformation of his house into a home.
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you both so much! What do you think of the box type valances? Where you build the box and cover it with or without batting then fabric? I am with you on the fabric with either the blues/oranges, rather than black and white fabric. I have made really fancy window treatments as well as basic valances. I want something kind of modern and/or funky. Do you know if they sell roll blinds in fabric or only plastic? I wonder if I could make a roll blind, not a roman shade, out of fabric. I can always get a solid color and paint the fabric with some sort of design. For some reason when I think of roll blinds, I think of my Grandmother's house when I was little, and how cheap they look. Does anyone know if you can spray paint plastic blinds? If the answer is yes, what's the opinion on if I paint the blind a dark turquoise? And if anyone has shelving ideas, please respond. I have been house sitting, so will add pics of the lonely vacant areas of the room soon. I would like to put a chair in the corner opposite the corner of the tv. In my daydream, it would be a real big comfy square chair, with a patterned fabric. I have a really cool modern black chair, but my sister had borrowed it 3 years ago. Is there a timeframe when you can retrieve "borrowed" items? Lol Again, though, I don't know how long I will be living here and am trying to limit the things I bring to the house. I know I am asking for ALOT of help here, but one more thing. Coffee table. What I want and what I can have (lack of funds) are 2 different things. I would love a very large round ottoman, to use as extra seating if needed, or something "open" looking, not "heavy". I know they say glass would make the room appear larger, but I l ow it would drive me crazzzyy! because it would never stay clean in that house. Well, thanks again, for the encouragement! And all the great ideas. And Carolins, a hug right back to you! I so enjoy our on-going discussions. I will probably cry when the room is finished and I have to put an end to this blog. :(.
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolins, I just checked out the site with the tutorial on Roman blinds. I think I may make them after I search for the perfect fabric! Thanks a bunch for the website!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Even Ikea has trendy roller blinds that look really good, not cheap. And they certainly do not look as cheap as they are. But I expect that a crafty girl like you can make Roman blinds with her eyes closed ;-)
    I can just about sew a straight line. And that's it. I'm at war with sewing machines. They don't like me and I don't like them.

On the coffee table issue.... hmm... I'll have a think...
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hey... look what I've found. Just to keep you busy. I know you get bored so easily ;-)
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carolins, thanks again ! That tutorial is great, and so simple! It was funny; the background music put me in this trance. Lol So now I have to hot the fabric store for fabric for the Roman blinds and ottoman.sube the same fabric? Or just coordinating? Not sure if anyone is really reading this post anymore but Walmart has a great fabric dept. There are not alot of fabric stores in the area I live. I am attaching the photos of the 4 walls. The 4th photo I'd the opening to a room that the previous owner had added on. It is pretty useless because it is a separate room, but still needs to coordinate well with the room I am working on. I have a few thoughts on it and would love some help. I am thinking of making that the "real" living area, where the tv and couch ( right now futon) will be, and have a cozy feel to it. I am going to paint the walls a shade darker than the current room. I should take pics of the room. Right now it is a mess. It's where the homeless items are. There is absutely no storage in this house. One small closet in the whole house. And it is a terribly old basement with the home to many spiders lol do I don't dare put winter clothing, etc, even in plastic bins down there. Well moving on, any help with decorating the current room, keeping in mind the next room to attack, would be appreciated!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I'm reading :-) Not sure where Carol is. Haven't seen her around for a while. But I'm definitely here. At least, I have to go now, but I'll be back soon. Will see if I can come up with a brilliant storage solution for you. Pics of the room look good! But I'll take a better look later. Colour looks fab.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Hi again, I still like Carol's idea of the storage wall surrounding the doorway. I'm thinking the doorway to the kitchen, although I would just do something floor to ceiling on both sides, not above the doorway. Not much space there anyway and I think that emphasizing vertical lines will make the ceiling look taller.
    You could do a combination of closed and open storage, put the TV in it, do something clever with lighting... You could perhaps work in a seat where the table with the lamp on it is now. I'll see if I can find some pics to illustrate my ideas.

That wall colour really is beautiful. It looks so calm and nice and is a great combination with the floor. Love it!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    We have to rely on your capable mind to interpret these pics and see if they inspire you to think up some clever storage solutions ;-)
    Sail Bay · More Info

Making Room · More Info

Making Room · More Info

The Provence home of Chantal and Harry · More Info
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    The Provence home of Chantal and Harry · More Info

Madison Res. · More Info

Drew · More Info

Urban Townhome Living Room · More Info
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Love this:
    Amanda · More Info
  • carole
    10 years ago
    hi there,sorry took a while to get back online!!missed so many changes,really like the improved rooms,and all the new ideas,cant get over how much brighter the rooms look
    sandy3877 thanked carole
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi girls! Well my new ideas was to make the a joining (is that a word? lol) room, after ripping out the rest of the carpet, etc, more of a private living room, making a window treatment, curtain type thing, for the doorway opening halfway for privacy, and to make the wall the futon is against what we were discussing previously; shelving. I was going to build a window seat under the window t9o the wall on the right, get some big comfy chairs, and make it more of a "drop our things (into the designated spots, of course) " lol and office/mudroom/in and out visitors room. But this saga has come to an end. I moved out about a month ago. :(
  • sandy3877
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm off to find another project. I hope I can somehow link up with guys again! This was the most fun part of the project; I feel like I'm losing my 2 new friends!!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Oh... I'm sorry that 'this saga has come to an end' :-(

If you want to find us for another thread, just give us a heads up here, post the link to your new thread in a comment here. We'll find it :-) Good luck.
    And a hug ((( )))
  • carole
    10 years ago
    hi Sandy,sorry to hear that,but you wont loose us,and looking forward to seeing the plans for the new project,just checked out your ideabook!! love it,and after seeing your revamp on the last place,i reckon the room will be fab soon !! good luck and keep in touch grtjs and hug ((( )))