chrystyna_alexander

Need wind protection and screening on a covered porch. Can you think of a way to protect us from the cold win

Chrystyna Alexander
April 11, 2013
Any suggestions?
Rear Porch · More Info

Group3
    My favorite wind protection are canvas curtains. They do cut out all of the light, but when they're open and tied back against the columns, they look great! We've used large folding glass panels, that's very expensive and clear plastic curtains that roll down from the ceiling; they're about as attractive as it sounds.
  • Chrystyna Alexander
    Thank you for the quick reply. Am I allowed to reference brand name products here? I have seen the roll up plastic and it does look nasty but the other site makes it look like you can't even see the plastic.
    I like your idea of canvas but since we have more windy days than not, we would not see our fabulous view of the lake. When it is windy, the temp facing the lake is about 10 to 15 degrees colder than the back side of the house.
    I would love any other suggestions or thoughts you might have. Thank you again!
    Group3
    We can mention product names here- fair game! I've used some local people on the plastic "drapes" though and don't have a manufacturer's spec.
  • Chrystyna Alexander
    The "Amazing EZ screen porch windows" is the site that "looks" like it should work. Have you heard of this site? We are in northern michigan and have a fantastic view so would hate to lose that. Any other suggestions? Attached are a couple pictures but for some reason they are fuzzy on here.
  • Sarah Gauld

I see this is an older post but I'm hoping that you can let me know what you all decided to do with your porch because I am looking for the same exact thing for mine. What did you all end up going with?

Group3

There are roll down solutions like Phantom Screen., but what I think of is the classic Sunroom- operable windows from floor to ceiling and screens. Perhaps push-out casement windows and pull-down screens would be the most elegant solution.

• Chrystyna Alexander
    Sarah Gould, we did a lot of research but as of yet have not done anything. The view is so beautiful and we do have large sliders on the front of the house. So when it is real window, we stay indoors and look out the large glass front.
    Everything else was too expensive.