Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kate_yanov

500 sf Master Bedroom - what to do with all the space?

K Yanov
7 years ago

Hello,

I just purchased a home in Austin, TX and the Master Bedroom is 500 sf! I've never had a room this big and just wondering if anyone had any good design tips to fill the room in a bit more than a bed and some night stands. I've attached some pics to see the layout.

Comments (4)

• havingfun
    7 years ago

oh yummy! congrats on your new space. just thoughts we can talk more if you really like some.

Screened off dressing area

a reading area with a lounger that is down filled

a massage chair

a china cabinet or similar that you turn into a place for jewelry to hang and place all your gloves, scarves, hats, etc.

a small aperitif(?) cabinet - i hope that is the correct term, mind is a little out tonite. another words a cabinet with small glasses for the dessert liquors.

a lounging area for you and the love to lounge to the sunday paper.

a small office area.

K Yanov thanked havingfun
  • calidesign
    7 years ago

Do you need a dresser? Other than that I wouldn't add more furniture, unless you have the need for something like a small desk or comfortable reading chair. Just enjoy the open space. It looks like you need window shades or drapes, which will help the space look complete.

K Yanov thanked calidesign
  • D_son
    7 years ago

Awesome! Great Space.. Why don't you fill it with some mid-century furniture. Mid-century furniture replica store called manhattan home design has a great deal for this Christmas. They are offering $30 and $50 and also giving Free Gifts, seems like a great deal. I just had a look at their website. The stuff is really cool! I think they have free shipping on few products with some conditions. Hope this helps you :)

K Yanov thanked D_son
  • decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You could use some larger and taller bedside tables or nightstands. They should reach mattress height and, when topped with a lamp, the set should measure 58-64" above the floor. How about an upholstered bench at the foot of the bed? The art above the headboard should be lowered to 5" above it and moved closer together (one hand's width apart.) However, consider replacing them with one bigger piece (no more than 75% of the headboard's width.) Those two might do well stacked vertically right of the door that is opposite the bed. The hand's width center point of the stack should be 5' above the floor. And right of that area, next to the other door, I would put a tall chest of drawers. Think about reversing the door swing of those two closets so you can place a dresser between them. You have a nice bit of wall there, but the doors are a problem, taking up all that valuable floor space where you could have furniture. Where you have the chair and collegiate looking ladder shelf, remove the shelf and add a second chair, a side table and lamp. That's a spot where you could layer an area rug to create your reading corner. Your large piece of art could move there to make room for the dresser and mirror between the closets. You might consider framing that piece as well. What are you thinking for window treatments? With the odd windows and one butted up to the closet, you might consider inside mounted roman shades. Another way to fill up visual space would be to pull a large area rug under the bottom 1/3 of the bed.

Homearama Rock Springs 2013 · More Info

Mediterranean Heaven · More Info

K Yanov thanked decoenthusiaste